Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:52:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Office drones of Cab: How long does your workstation computer take to start up?

Started by ASFTSN, February 10, 2017, 10:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

At my present job - 15-20 minutes to start Windows, and around 5 to open an internet browser.

Yerselves?

Spoon of Ploff

Wait... you switch your computer off when you finish work for the day?

Next you'll be telling us you turn off the hot tap in the rest room.

ASFTSN

There is no heated water on the premises and the 'restrooms' are demountable.

But yeah, save the planet!  (Dunno how much energy I save by turning off the PC - but given I'm only here a couple of days a week it just seems churlish not to) 

Spoon of Ploff

Have you tried removing all the... you know... special interest files you've got stored on there?

ASFTSN

Absolutely not - why do you think I even bother holding on to this job?

Spoon of Ploff

Okay... so is it only sluggish first thing? Does that funny little task manager thing show high CPU and/or memory use?

Coz 15-20 minutes seems excessive[nb]bleedin' 'orrible[/nb]

hamfist

I was thinking the other day, I used to make coffee while my laptop was starting up. Now I start my laptop while waiting for the coffee to come out. I only use laptops though, no workstations for 15 years.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on February 10, 2017, 10:55:38 AM
Okay... so is it only sluggish first thing? Does that funny little task manager thing show high CPU and/or memory use?

Coz 15-20 minutes seems excessive[nb]bleedin' 'orrible[/nb]

The first time I had access to PCs was in 1994 in my first year at Uni. 15-20 minute start up was the norm back then. Mind you, if I use any of the machines in the various meeting rooms here they take about the same time to go through all the windows security protocols and profile registering or whatever as my personal computer is a Mac and i never login to the windows profile (talking vaguely as I don't know the correct terminology...shit basically).

Norton Canes

Couple of minutes. IT dept runs a tight ship.

Unless UPDATES of course, then it's anyone's guess. Get the crossword out, stick a DVD on.

Vodka Margarine

Bastard's up and ready within about a minute.

And my computer starts up pretty fast as well!!

Mr_Simnock

Within a minute for me too. I have a reasonable spec pc though, core i7 cpu, ssd drives and shit loads of memory

Uncle TechTip

I bet you're one of those people who stores all their personal- and team-related documents on their desktop.

Cuellar

Thursday

Not only do I only ever log off, my job often requires me to be running processes in adobe and such overnight so, I'll usually only lock it.

It is a bit slow and crap though, I'd guess about 3 minutes if I was restarting it.

Blumf

I don't know, I power it (win7) on Sunday night and by the morning it's managed to get itself into working order.

My work laptop on the other hand (win10), I just spent all afternoon nursing it into updated order. Several attempts to apply updates, reboot wait reboot wait reboot wait, oop Windows Guardian need to thrash your disk drive for half an hour. In fairness I hardly use it, so it only gets boot once in a while, but still, fucking atrocious.

Meanwhile, my personal Linux Mint laptop is taking a few seconds longer to boot since moving to the Mint 18 series (systemd being shite no doubt), so about 10 seconds.