Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:10:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

the brit awards

Started by smoker, February 18, 2004, 08:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker

let's start at the top:

the cream of the british music industry, one of the biggest events of the year. and presented by cat deeley?
busted winning TWO awards? busted murdering the BUZZCOCKS?
the arrogance of the darkness. even if it's only jokey arrogance, they still don't have the talent to back even that up. one good song, that's it.
daniel bedingfield - cunt
chris moyles - cunt
lemar winning best urban?
production values to rival the videos i made at college
lacklustre performances from beyonce and 50 cent
radiohead not even nominated for best rock act

any more?

Speciality meat product

I turned it off when that bloody Outkast song came on.

I'm too old for the Brits. Pop music isn't aimed at my age range. I'm 25.

Now where's my pipe and slippers...

Rats

hey ya was the only good thing on it from what I saw, I turned it off after they did kiss, I was bored of it. Christ that was terrible, not one of them can sing and then missy elliot came on at the end and said like 3 lines.

smoker

yeah it's weird how the two biggest and most overplayed songs of the year, hey ya and crazy in love, were the only two i could actually bear hearing. busted want shooting, and missy / gwen / alicia were awful.

Robot DeNiro

Quote from: "smoker"busted murdering the BUZZCOCKS?

I don't want to suggest that Busted know more about music than you do, but surely you mean The Undertones?

you're right though, it was all rather poor.  the beyonce / outkast thing was hardly a collaboration was it?  she should have done In The Club with 50 Cent, her version of that is brilliant.

smoker

Quote from: "Robot DeNiro"
Quote from: "smoker"busted murdering the BUZZCOCKS?

I don't want to suggest that Busted know more about music than you do, but surely you mean The Undertones?

oh the shame. yes the undertones i meant. and they did trash it

MonkeyDrummer

it just shows the state of music today when The Darkness win best group. The Brits means nothing, whether it ever did is one for the debating halls, but one thing's for sure. It means even less now.

Rats

It must have been awfull for sam fox that time when she agreed to present it and then realised about 5 minutes in that she was thick as fuck. Blaming it on the gog out of fleetwood mac just wasn't an option there, I think it was the autocue she ended up using as a scapegoat wasn't it?
And from the stereo excursions thread, who was the eager idiot murdering love cats?

smoker

Quote from: "Rats"And from the stereo excursions thread, who was the eager idiot murdering love cats?

jamie cullum, and some tasty broad on guitar. i thought it was okay, a bit of a change from the rest of the garbage

Speciality meat product

The tasty broad was Katie Mellua. Don't know much about her but she cang sing, play guitar and look damn attractive. She's perfect!

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "Mr Greedy"The tasty broad was Katie Mellua. Don't know much about her but she cang sing, play guitar and look damn attractive. She's perfect!

I bet she still stinks of kippers and piss.

When oh when are we going to get a 'Best rural' award? It's blatant regionism I tells ya!

smoker

Quote from: "Garfield And Friends"When oh when are we going to get a 'Best rural' award? It's blatant regionism I tells ya!

there's chas and dave, and ...?

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "Garfield And Friends"When oh when are we going to get a 'Best rural' award? It's blatant regionism I tells ya!
The Wurzels?

smoker

Hairy Chin

Aye, that Katie Melua's not bad - even if her surname does involve forward-thinking before you pronounce it for the first time.

I didn't see much of it as I wasn't in my house, and I where I was watching it, i was sat next to a 16-year old noisy pikey slut who wouldn't shut up. I had to talk back to her though because I couldn't resist insulting her intelligence without her realising she's having the piss ripped out of her. I'm a sucker for feeling superior to people. If I shut up I'm sure I could have watched the Brits in peace and been able to comment on what was going on.

I do like the Darkness, so sod you all, and thought they were one of the few bands who bothered to sound the same live as on their LP's.

I thought the production of the nominee clips was alright too. Well, until Gareth Gates turned up at the end of one of them. Spoilt it for me, that did.

glitch

king mob

Who the hell is Lamar?

I tried to be bothered to find out who he is but decided last night its not worth it, now its annoying me.

Busted didnt really annoy me til their version of Teenage Kicks, now they must die as loads of little Busted fans will consider it to be their song.

The Darkness were ok but have clearly become the band everyone likes to namedrop to give them some Rock n' Roll credibility but in reality they're a really good pub rock band who've managed to make it big.

Its the Oscars soon, award seaon is well underway.

smoker

Quote from: "king mob"Who the hell is Lamar?

isn't he a fame academy / pop idol reject / winner?

something i've been noticing lately, there's a lot of young people getting well reviewed and signed without going through the pop idol process, eg jamie cullum, katie melua, joss stone, and several others. is this normal, or is it the music industry trying to prove it's still credible?

Rats

I didn't mean the coffee seller, I meant her ugly muppet mate on the piano. You should have seen her face when he stood up, giving it all here we go, then walking back to the piano "BADADADADADADAD LOVE CATS!". She was singing it ok, I think he was just there to ruin it, look like a twat and aggressively play piano, making a complete fool of himself. It was akin to doing a heavy metal version of twinkle twinkle little star. Did nobody else want to slap him and send him to the back of the class then?

bespoke

I thought the opposite, that his performance had a bit of life to it and some purpose, she was just looking nice pretending to play the guitar and whispering breathy slightly off-tune harmonies into the mic.
She was well fit though, and of course I *would*.

kidsick5000

Obviously I cant really comment on what you are being forced to listen to in Britain, but who the hell is Lemar.
The radio over here(by the way, half of the pop acts there were here in Singapore at the weekend for Mtv Asia Awards. Gareth Gates got best male. Not just cos he turned up oh no. Thats Gareth Gates. Not J. Timberlake, Robbie williams etc who outsell him by the ton or so here)

Anyway, back to Lemar.
Is he big there? How did Dizzee Rascal not get it? Surely he's the one making headway in america ( and ze wurld), right?

The Brits need to make yup their mind whats being decided on. Sales or  merit (merit. ha!) or indeed potential.

Nice to see Outkast trying to make amends by not offending the native American community of Uk , though what the zombie community will have to say remains to be seen.

Duran Duran were here the other month. and after seeing them, and seeing as they got their  major influence award or whatever it is, I have no hesitation in asking them to now fuck off. They were terrible. No really bad. I was willing to give them a go as a credible band, and if not, just go with the retro crowd for a night. But they were shit. I mean, really shit.

Enough of that. Answer the questions. Who the fuck is Lemar? and What happended to Dizze Rascal.
(No kajagoogoo jokes please)

smoker

Quote from: "bespoke"and of course I *would*.

yes i *would* buy her album as well.

kidsick5000

And do they still have the kiss of career death that is "Best female newcomer"?

ziggy starbucks

wasn't there a Lemar in kajagoogoo?

Matthias

The Darkness were quite good, but then the novelty wore off. Now they're just an irritant. Best UK rock band? Surely that should have been The Lost Prophets?

Beyonce is always good for a wank, whether her performance was lacklustre or not.

Bastard performing Teenage Kicks... SACRILEGE!!
(smoker, how could you confuse the Undertones with the Buzzcocks? How?)

The Brits.. isn't it just the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party part 2?

@ssmaster

Quote from: "Matthias"The Darkness were quite good, but then the novelty wore off. Now they're just an irritant. Best UK rock band? Surely that should have been The Lost Prophets?

Or Cooper Temple Clause, BRMC. But no that would never do, they aren't main stream enough which unfortunately is what the Brit awards are about.

Lord Spong

Quote from: "Matthias"
Bastard performing Teenage Kicks... SACRILEGE!!

Did anybody watch the rubbish Kate Thornton Brits aftershow thing on ITV2 afterwards?  They had some guy on, I don't know who he was, but he told Busted to their faces, that they were basically shit, and that their choice of singing 'Teenage Kicks' was a terrible idea.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Mr Greedy"I turned it off when that bloody Outkast song came on.

Haha that makes three of us, I turned it off just as I realised what it was, picked up my phone and called a mate, whilst heading out of the door to his, and said:

Me: Yo Andy, I'm coming over, I was watching-

Mate: Arrgh hold on, that fucking Outkast shit is annoying me, I'll turn it off, hold on...

Made me smile.

kidsick5000

Quote from: "ziggy starbucks"wasn't there a Lemar in kajagoogoo?

Thanks.
The bastard thing is that it still made me laugh.