Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:01:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

the brit awards

Started by smoker, February 18, 2004, 08:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Almost Yearly

I thought the staging and editing was exceptional.

I didn't have the guts to turn the sound up.

imitationleather

Quote from: "Matthias"Surely that should have been The Lost Prophets?

Surely you're taking the piss... And what's wrong with the thread in Stereo Excursions?

Quote from: "@ssmaster"
Quote from: "Matthias"The Darkness were quite good, but then the novelty wore off. Now they're just an irritant. Best UK rock band? Surely that should have been The Lost Prophets?

Or Cooper Temple Clause, BRMC. But no that would never do, they aren't main stream enough which unfortunately is what the Brit awards are about.

Sorry to be the pedant, but if you mean Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, they aren't from the UK.  Unless you mean a different BRMC of course.

Rats

he means Burt Reynolds Mothers Caravan. They're from stoke.

Quote from: "Rats"he means Burt Reynolds Mothers Caravan. They're from stoke.

Weren't they the breakaway group from Burt Reynolds Mother's Citroen2CV?

TraceyQ

Quote from: "aaaaaaaaaargh!"
Sorry to be the pedant, but if you mean Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, they aren't from the UK.  Unless you mean a different BRMC of course.

Um, they're Scottish, right?

(and V. tasty, if the NME awards are anything to go by... growl.)

Purple Tentacle

Last week I saw Cooper Temple supporting Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at Brixton Acadamy.

They were both good, and I was too far away to see if they were in fact on and the same.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

The Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, formed in San Francisco in 1998, are one of the most talked about new Indie bands to come on the scene in nearly a decade. The band consists of Peter Hayes and Robert Turner - who share the responsibilities of guitar, bass, and vocals - and Nick Jago on drums and percussion. The sound is trippy and brooding, heavily influenced by the Jesus and Mary Chain, the Stone Roses, the Pixies, Velvet Underground and the Stooges.

While attending high school in the East Bay area of San Francisco, Peter Hayes and Robert Turner discovered they shared a passion for early '90s British music, and began writing music and playing together. In 1998, they teamed up with drummer Nick Jago, who had recently moved to California from England. The name Black Rebel Motorcycle Club comes from the name of Marlon Brando's biker gang in the movie The Wild One. The band performed and recorded exclusively in San Francisco, and put together a full-length demo with no record label support.

During the Summer of '99, the band spent several months performing live in Los Angeles, eventually signing to Virgin Records in Spring 2000. They then wrote, produced, and recorded their debut EP, Whatever Happened to My Rock 'N' Roll (Punk Song), released in late 2001. Their eponymous debut album, released in early 2002, consists of these 11 tracks:

So they're one third English then.

TraceyQ

Oh. I wanted them to be Scottish.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Oh. I wanted them to be Scottish.

Is it anything to do with kilts and sporrans tickling your fancy?

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Oh. I wanted them to be Scottish.

Didn't want to cause a fight, sorry.

european son

Quote from: "5 Knuckle Shuffle"The name Black Rebel Motorcycle Club comes from the name of Marlon Brando's biker gang in the movie The Wild One.

i've heard that they wanted to take the name of Brando's (dirtier and grittier) rivals' gang, but apparently some other band got there first.

chand

Quote from: "smoker"something i've been noticing lately, there's a lot of young people getting well reviewed and signed without going through the pop idol process, eg jamie cullum, katie melua, joss stone, and several others. is this normal, or is it the music industry trying to prove it's still credible?

Several of them are from a crop of new music-school types whose time is right because of the popularity of Radio 2 and 'chill-out' compilations.

Fucknose

although I thought the general content of the brits was utter wank (Cat  'no personality' Deeley / The Darkness / Busted....etc.etc) I thought the editing of the nomination videos/songs was quality, and the duet of Katie Melua and Jamie Cullum was a refreshing change. It was nice to see someone perform a song they could actually sing while playing instruments, and although he looked a bit of a tool, at least Jamie Cullum showed some passion in his performance.

Rats

Passion? He looked like an over enthusiastic kid full of sherbert. Pushing the keys hard and screaming "babadada" out of tune does not make for a passionate performance. It was like playing yesterday on an electric guitar. Totally misjudged. Refreshing? What the fuck have you been listening to to find that refreshing? I'm sorry but I don't understand why this didn't make everyone cringe so much they couldn't laugh.

TraceyQ

What the fuck's all this today, Rats? Rent-a-rant? You been listening to too much Bill Hicks and laying off the medication?

Matthias

Roger Whittaker is excellent.

Only Clayderman comes close.

Almost Yearly

I must agree with Rats, especially about the sherbert thing. That Cullum / Melua thing was a complete failure. A dissonant mess. They just didn't work together at all - I felt sorry for her trying to harmonise with that twat. When he first turned up, I said "Well, it's better than Robbie Williams doing Sinatra," and I was wrong. Fuck off right now, Cullum, you massively over-keen nothing.

Did anyone hear Lamar's acoustic jazz version of I Believe In A Thing Called Love on (I think) Sara Cox? What a talent, it has to be said. His chords changed the sense of the thing beautifully. Funny and impressive.

Rats

Quote from: "TraceyQ"What the fuck's all this today, Rats? Rent-a-rant? You been listening to too much Bill Hicks and laying off the medication?

Don't get me started on Bill fucking Hicks. NURSE!

Synchronised Cocks

I'd just like to say the Brits awards was shite. The best bit for me was the Anna Friel advert in between.

Fucknose

fair play RATS it was a bit crap, but in comparison to the rest of the shit on the Brits I found it just about bearable. Obviously Melua and Cullum wouldn't be my choice of day to day listening. It just seemed to stand out as a bit of talent when slipped in with Busted and Missy fucking Elliot.

Jet Set Willy

Quote from: "european son"
Quote from: "5 Knuckle Shuffle"The name Black Rebel Motorcycle Club comes from the name of Marlon Brando's biker gang in the movie The Wild One.

i've heard that they wanted to take the name of Brando's (dirtier and grittier) rivals' gang, but apparently some other band got there first.

QuoteIn more recent years, another theory as to the origins of the Beatles' name has been suggested by George Harrison and Beatles' press man Derek Taylor. In his second revised edition biography of the Beatles (1985), Hunter Davies intimated that Taylor told him the name was inspired by the film "The Wild One." A black leather-clad motorcycle gang is referred to as the Beetles. As Davies put it, "Stu Sutcliffe saw this film, heard the remark, and came back and suggested it to John as the new name for their group. John said yeah, but we'll spell it Beatles, as we're a beat group."

However it has since been pointed out that the "beetles" referred to in the film is in fact an all-female gang. This of course adds further substance to the rumour that the beatles were a bunch of gays.

Also:
QuoteBill Harry disputes the "Wild One" story in his "Ultimate Encyclopedia," because, as he claims, the film was banned in England until the late 1960's and none of the Beatles could have seen it by the time they came up with the name. If that is true, surely the Beatles had at least heard about the movie (after all, it was banned), and might have known the storyline, including the name of the motorcycle gang. That possibility, added to the fact that George, who was there, first told the story, makes it plausible. But, who knows for sure?

european son

Quote from: "Jet Set Willy"However it has since been pointed out that the "beetles" referred to in the film is in fact an all-female gang.

really? i thought the Beetles were the other (boy) heavies in town who have a punch up with Brando's gang.

also, there's The Crickets similarity.

incidentally i think that The Beatles is one of the worst band names ever. it's annoying as hell. The Beetles would've been way cool. that oh-so-clever A is only let off for me by the brilliance of the band, and the fact that it was all in the olden days, before people realised that no-one likes a smartarse.

imitationleather

I wonder where Wolfang Flur, the ex-Kraftwerkian, got the idea for his old band's name, 'The Beathovens'. Ah well, it's probably funny in Germany.

sore bottom mum

Quote from: "imitationleather"I wonder where Wolfang Flur, the ex-Kraftwerkian, got the idea for his old band's name, 'The Beathovens'. Ah well, it's probably funny in Germany.

I used to have a Cairn Terrier who was in a band called 'The Bachs'

mmm...not popular and not funny. Not the best mix, I will go soon I promise.

european son

Quote from: "imitationleather"I wonder where Wolfang Flur, the ex-Kraftwerkian, got the idea for his old band's name, 'The Beathovens'. Ah well, it's probably funny in Germany.

horribly off topic.... but this thread is inexplicably in GD anyway, but imitation, have you read Flur's autobiogtaphy, I Was A Robot? if you haven't you should, it's fabulous.

imitationleather

This isn't off topic, because one year Kylie performed at the Brits and all her dancers were wearing red shirts and black ties, a complete and utter Kraftwerk rip-off.

Anyway, yes I have read it. It certainly is excellent. I'd even go so far as to say it's the best collection of masturbation anaecdotes ever written by a middle-aged German.

Jet Set Willy

Quote from: "european son"
Quote from: "Jet Set Willy"However it has since been pointed out that the "beetles" referred to in the film is in fact an all-female gang.

really? i thought the Beetles were the other (boy) heavies in town who have a punch up with Brando's gang.

You're probably right, it's just that in McCartney's semiauto-biography he says that he saw it again and they were a girl gang.

european son

Quote from: "imitationleather"
Anyway, yes I have read it. It certainly is excellent. I'd even go so far as to say it's the best collection of masturbation anaecdotes ever written by a middle-aged German.

"and as the liberating arc of sperm hit my mothers expensive Rococco sofa i felt like i was carrying on the rebellion of The Who's My Generation"

or something like that. i love that bit.

Quote from: "il"This isn't off topic, because one year Kylie performed at the Brits and all her dancers were wearing red shirts and black ties, a complete and utter Kraftwerk rip-off.

fair point, and Kylie also played the fantastic Can't Get Blue Monday Out Of My Head, a cut and paste of her own great Kraftwerk rip-off single and New Order's Kraftwerk-inspired hit, which the Germans allegedly (according to the NewOrderStory VHS) heard, and tried to imitate, but were totally unable to copy.

edit: fix link

imitationleather

Yeah, I did like 'Can't Get Blue Monday Out of my Head'. It just pissed me off because none of my friends realised where all the music and style had been pinched from, and even when I explained they still didn't believe me.

Friends are idiots.

Also, there is a new edition of Wolfgang Flur's book out now, which I'm considering buying (my copy of it got ruined in a flood). It probably explains why Yamo haven't been releasing as much music as he said they would and stuff like that.