Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,209
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:46:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scott Pilgrim vs the World (7 years on)

Started by canadagoose, February 11, 2017, 09:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

My opinion hasn't changed since the original discussion on here (I can't find the old thread). Just not that good or interesting.

Shit Good Nose

I watched it again a few weeks ago (for only the second time).  I actually hated it even more - it seems to be a film that purposely goes out of its way to alienate those it's not aimed at.  It actually annoyed me. 

Having said that, I totally understand why it appeals so much to the audience it IS aimed at.

I did watch it all the way through to the end without any breaks, so I gave it a fair stab.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 27, 2020, 02:19:57 PM
So you like Alien 3 but not Alienate?

Pfff, everyone knows Alienate is the best of the sequels.  Closely followed by its sequel, Alien Nation (the TV series).

SavageHedgehog

I'm not the biggest Jim Sterling fan but I did like his observation this would be shrugged off and dismissed like Ready Player One if it had been released, like that was, after we got sick of and even slightly suspicious of this kind of fan culture-driven, reference heavy entertainment.

I dunno, maybe I'm just bitter. It wasn't terrible, but I was alienated by the geek hype for this, it seemed like the apotheosis of a string of overhyped geek films (following on from Kick Ass earlier in the year, which I liked a little more) at a point in my life when I had enough time on my hands to be bothered by such things. It came out the same weekend as The Expendables which was seen as the dum-dums triumphing over smart, original entertainment. Because grizzled, grey musclemen fighting in the style of 80s action films is dumb, but indie band wannabes having SNES-tinged CGI fights is smart?

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on July 27, 2020, 01:17:21 PM
Nah, nothing was charming in the comic so the film has to make up for it with good music and inventive editing

you probably haven't read the comic or seen the film, or any film for that matter.

QDRPHNC

The bit where they play the 20th Century Fox fanfare while Chris Evans scowls on his skateboard is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Mister Six

Saw it in the cinema and loved it. Absolutely joyous, fantastic stuff. I wish they'd stuck with the original ending with him going off with Knives, though. His character arc didn't really make sense with him "getting" Ramona. Would have been even better if both girls had realised he's s bit of a tit who needs to grow up and sacked him off altogether, but that would be even less likely to happen in a mainstream film.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 27, 2020, 04:47:17 PM
The bit where they play the 20th Century Fox fanfare
It was Universal.

Just like the appeal of the film.

madhair60

Surprised anyone on here actually liked this to be honest

Small Man Big Horse

I'm with Mister Six on this, thought it was a fast paced thing of joy that I enjoyed enormously.

Quote from: madhair60 on July 27, 2020, 05:02:44 PM
Surprised anyone on here actually liked this to be honest

Why? People have different opinions and like different things on here, have you not noticed that before?

Icehaven

Didn't clock that this thread was 3 years old at first (despite the fact I posted in it) and thought "did that really only come out 7 years ago?" I'm actually still surprised it was only 10 years, it feels like a lifetime.

I still like the film a lot (despite absolutely not being in the demographic it was aimed at, I was 31 in 2010) though I remain disappointed that the brilliant music from the video game wasn't in it.

There was one scene in which Scott goes to the lavatory and there's actually a "Pee bar" on the screen, like it was some sort of computer game. It was the most excruciating two seconds of my life. I couldn't have felt more horrified! It was as if the director had literally urinated on the audience!!!

I ran out of the cinema and wept into my Criterion Collection Fellini boxset.

Icehaven

Am I having a Mandela moment here, it was a video game wasn't it? I remember the music and everything!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: icehaven on July 27, 2020, 05:31:01 PM
Am I having a Mandela moment here, it was a video game wasn't it? I remember the music and everything!

According to this it was - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Pilgrim_vs._the_World:_The_Game - though I've not played it personally.

SavageHedgehog

We can all at least agree the Seinfeld but was terrible, right?

Icehaven

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 27, 2020, 05:37:54 PM
According to this it was - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Pilgrim_vs._the_World:_The_Game - though I've not played it personally.

Yes I was sure I remembered my ex playing it, that was why we were bothered about seeing the film in the first place.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 27, 2020, 05:22:22 PM
I ran out of the cinema and wept into my Criterion Collection Fellini boxset.

You tit - you could've got decent money for that on ebay!  No chance now - no one is interested in tear damaged Criterions.

Sin Agog

The different between this and Ready Player One is the same as the difference between a living person and a mummified corpse.  Only one of them has a heart.  Scott Pilgrim.  Scott Pilgrim is the one with the heart.

Dex Sawash

madhair60

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 27, 2020, 05:04:24 PM
Why? People have different opinions and like different things on here, have you not noticed that before?

i honestly hadn't. i'm a bit embarrassed now.

Small Man Big Horse

samadriel

Quote from: madhair60 on July 27, 2020, 03:05:00 PM
you probably haven't read the comic or seen the film, or any film for that matter.

I read almost all of the comic, endlessly wishing it would get better, but it was just awful. The art is kind of cute, but so crude you can't tell characters apart, and on top of that BLOM has their hairstyles occasionally change, so you can't even identify characters by the one part of them that looks different!

popcorn

The comic is just a load of bad drawings having wish fulfilment adventures.

The film still has big problems with plot and characters, but has everything else going for it.

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on July 28, 2020, 11:25:44 AM
The comic is just a load of bad drawings having wish fulfilment adventures.

no it isn't

popcorn

madhair60

if you actually read it, instead of what you read which was The Dandy, you will see that you are wrong. you also have never seen the film.

popcorn

I read it by borrowing all the books one at a time from a mate and once as I was biking home it started to rain and the rain got in my bag and got the book wet and wrinkly so I had to buy him a replacement copy. So even though I didn't even LIKE the book I had to BUY it. ARGH !

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 27, 2020, 05:49:12 PM
You tit - you could've got decent money for that on ebay!  No chance now - no one is interested in tear damaged Criterions.

The Wes Anderson Criterion's come with faux tear stains.

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on July 28, 2020, 12:57:53 PM
I read it by borrowing all the books one at a time from a mate and once as I was biking home it started to rain and the rain got in my bag and got the book wet and wrinkly so I had to buy him a replacement copy. So even though I didn't even LIKE the book I had to BUY it. ARGH !

This is very funny. Not your misfortune but in the abstract it's funny.