Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:09:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scott Pilgrim vs the World (7 years on)

Started by canadagoose, February 11, 2017, 09:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Larence

I like it a lot, and when I want to annoy certain people I (only half facetiously) say it's Edgar Wright's only good film. Listened to a podcast with Matt Johnson (star of Nirvanna The Band The Show and director of The Dirties and Operation Avalanche) who said it doesn't work as a movie because Scott sleeps with Ramona in Act 1 (it might even be in the first 15 minutes), when it would be better if he had to fight the exes in order to actually get to her, which I don't fully agree with but understand where he's coming from.

shagatha crustie

I did not love it at the time. Juno with headache-inducing fight scenes.

Ferris

I just watched a few minutes of it. I'd like to revise my opinion from "alright" to "alright, verging on quite good"

Ok cheers

Sin Agog

Quote from: C_Larence on July 28, 2020, 06:41:07 PM
I like it a lot, and when I want to annoy certain people I (only half facetiously) say it%u2019s Edgar Wright%u2019s only good film. Listened to a podcast with Matt Johnson (star of Nirvanna The Band The Show and director of The Dirties and Operation Avalanche) who said it doesn%u2019t work as a movie because Scott sleeps with Ramona in Act 1 (it might even be in the first 15 minutes), when it would be better if he had to fight the exes in order to actually get to her, which I don%u2019t fully agree with but understand where he%u2019s coming from.

But he literally sleeps with her. No sex.  I think O'Malley's idea wasn't to turn her into this unattainable Helen of Troy type.  That would be kinda male gazey and way more generic. Just someone with baggage she tries to hide by figuratively rearranging the furniture.

I always wondered if her character was named after The Throwing Muses album The Real Ramona.  For that matter, was Scott named after the Pixies' first EP Come On Pilgrim? 

C_Larence

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 28, 2020, 09:41:35 PM
But he literally sleeps with her. No sex.  I think O'Malley's idea wasn't to turn her into this unattainable Helen of Troy type.  That would be kinda male gazey and way more generic. Just someone with baggage she tries to hide by figuratively rearranging the furniture.

I always wondered if her character was named after The Throwing Muses album The Real Ramona.  For that matter, was Scott named after the Pixies' first EP Come On Pilgrim?
Isn't the story in the movie different to the comic? I was sure they had sex on that first night.

phantom_power

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 28, 2020, 09:41:35 PM

Scott Pilgrim is named after the Plumtree song Scott Pilgrim. I think it plays for a few seconds in the film

popcorn

I vaguely was under the impression that Ramona was named after the Frank Black song (which is also on the film soundtrack) but I might have dreamt that.

Sin Agog

Quote from: C_Larence on July 28, 2020, 11:22:18 PM
Isn%u2019t the story in the movie different to the comic? I was sure they had sex on that first night.

Naw, I watched the table read I linked above a couple of days ago (it was nice- there's something strangely bittersweet about these reunion reads), and Ramona definitely says that she doesn't feel like having sex with him.  She won't kick him out into a Canadian blizzard or anything, but no sex just yet.

C_Larence

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 28, 2020, 11:29:26 PM
Naw, I watched the table read I linked above a couple of days ago (it was nice- there's something strangely bittersweet about these reunion reads), and Ramona definitely says that she doesn't feel like having sex with him.  She won't kick him out into a Canadian blizzard or anything, but no sex just yet.

Oh yeah of course! My mistake.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's besides the point anyway. The plot's not about Scott trying to get his end away.

Sin Agog

One problem with the casting of Cera was that the comics Scott was perhaps even more desirable, in a flaky kind of way, than Ramona.  I really like Cera and the way he visits the Criterion vault and how he's the iconic Wally Brando, but he is a bit of a squeaky chinless mouse.  Everyone else in the cast makes up for it- which is why it's one of those movies where so many of them went onto get pretty huge- but he's just too clearly introspective to pull off this kind of flip, self-absorbed, but ultimately likeable space cadet. 

I dunno, he might still have been better than some High School Musical cast-off.

Mister Six

True, but Scott's fundamentally kind of a dick, so having someone a bit more vulnerable play him makes him more likeable than whatever the then-equivalent of young Matthew Broderick would have been.

Jack Shaftoe

Cera felt terribly miscast to me, would have liked Young Neil to have played Scott (although that wouldn't have brought in the funding so the film never would have been made). I found it a bit disappointing the first time I saw it, and the constant cutting really irritating, but the next time I watched it I kind of fell in love with it. I still watch it every now and then just fast forwarding to the setpieces, and that final fight bit just blows me away every time.

I did like the original comics a lot though, which probably skewed things. Would benefit from a mini-series take one day, I reckon, give it a lot more space to get into the various characters.

Baby Driver was the first film of Wright's where I just thought 'oh no, I don't like this at all'.

greenman

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 29, 2020, 12:28:20 AM
One problem with the casting of Cera was that the comics Scott was perhaps even more desirable, in a flaky kind of way, than Ramona.  I really like Cera and the way he visits the Criterion vault and how he's the iconic Wally Brando, but he is a bit of a squeaky chinless mouse.  Everyone else in the cast makes up for it- which is why it's one of those movies where so many of them went onto get pretty huge- but he's just too clearly introspective to pull off this kind of flip, self-absorbed, but ultimately likeable space cadet. 

I dunno, he might still have been better than some High School Musical cast-off.

I think the film does function quite strongly on Cera's status as the archetypical hipster though, I'd say it works both as a shorthand for his introduction and a basis for a lot of the comedy undermining that status.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on July 29, 2020, 08:23:13 PM
Baby Driver was the first film of Wright's where I just thought 'oh no, I don't like this at all'.

Likewise, I just didn't get on with it at all and was surprised it was so acclaimed on some fronts.

popcorn

Sigh, when are they going to come out with a film everyone likes?

Note that Raiders of the Lost Ark doesn't count as I don't like it.

Dex Sawash

Surely everyone likes Dirty Love with Jenny McCarthy and Carmen Electra.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 30, 2020, 10:07:21 AM
Surely everyone likes Dirty Love with Jenny McCarthy and Carmen Electra.

I preferred the sequel.

(there IS a Dirty Love 2, but it's a completely unrelated film made in 1989)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 11, 2017, 09:46:07 PM
I will watch, and have watched, pretty much any old shit -

I hope this is not the end of our special relationship

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 30, 2020, 04:54:36 PM
I hope this is not the end of our special relationship

Unless you're about to start a collaboration with Charles Band, I think we're fine.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 29, 2020, 08:50:55 PM
Likewise, I just didn't get on with it at all and was surprised it was so acclaimed on some fronts.

I think I like Baby Driver and Scott Pilgrim more than the Pegg/Frost films.