Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

your absolute favourite Fall song

Started by the science eel, February 11, 2017, 10:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Serge

'The Classical'

"I just left the Hotel Amnesia, I had to go there
Where it is I can't remember,
But now I can remember...now I can remember
HAFTA! HAFTA!
MESSAGE FOR YER! MESSAGE FOR YER!
Too much reliance on girl here
On girls here, behind every shell-actor
Snobbier Snobbier
Too much romantic here
I destroy romantics, actors,
Kill it!
Kill it!"

hewantstolurkatad

Yep, it's the Classical, best song from their best album

Jockice

the science eel

wosl

'The definitive rant'/megaphone/grimy, pile-driver riffage: Slates, Slags, Etc.

Paaaaul

Blindness.
It just feels like the culmination of everything they had done up to that point. Other than the odd blip, they've been on a downward trend since then.

Absorb the anus burn

hedgehog90

Quote from: Paaaaul on February 11, 2017, 11:43:56 PM
Blindness.
It just feels like the culmination of everything they had done up to that point. Other than the odd blip, they've been on a downward trend since then.

yurp

Edit: just want to clarify I was mainly agreeing with your song choice of Blindness.

Someone mentioned Container Drivers, if I hadn't chosen Blindness I would have said this.

fit bird

It's Birthday Song for me.
Always liked those moments when MES does something unexpectedly (apparently) sincere. Bill is Dead or Weather Report are runners up here, but it's Birthday Song for me.

manticore

Various Times. The first Fall song I ever heard, in 1978, and the first really mind-altering music.

The Fallnet mailing list did a poll in 1998 and the top five were:

5) Leave the Capitol
3)= The Classical/Container Drivers
2) Wings
1) New Face in Hell

Bingo Fury

Stoneage Dinosaurs

C N C S Mithering

I just like the riff innit

another Mr. Lizard

'Garden' for this fan. It's repetition, not discipline. More than thirty years after its release I still haven't figured out whether it's about Bob Dylan or The Second Coming. Probably neither.

the science eel

Dylan, eh? What makes you think that?

Garam

Jew on a Motorbike

almost impossible to say but if pushed i'd maybe say Eat Y'self Fitter. Makes almost every other song feel lyrically unadventurous.

Analytics have got
My type worked out
Analytics on me
The poison render
I grope about
And when I go out
My mind splits
My eyes doth hurt
The musical chairs
Have been swallowed up
By a cuddly group
Who land and rub off
Hoping that
Whatever it is
Will land and drop off

and those drums man

The live 'Fantastic Life' from 'In A Hole' - makes 'Sister Ray' sound like Simon & Garfunkel.

Puce Moment

I am Damo Suzuki

I found that remarkably difficult.

Neville Chamberlain

Paintwork. It's like a riddle in a mystery wrapped in a puzzle in a... oh, you know what I mean.

I've got a massive thing for A Past Gone Mad, in my opinion the most successful fusion of techno and rock that ever came out in that period when it was de rigueur to mix techno and rock.

easytarget

I was gonna be all 'fuck yeah, it's fucking Blindness peeps! word! repetitive grinding bass riff FTW LOL!'
BUT
Dog Is Life/Jerusalem "it was the FAULT of governMENT"
just about edges it out[nb]as does "HI TENSHUN LINE! (STEP DOWN!) but less so[/nb]

McQ

imitationleather

In the Park always makes me get me in the mood if I'm struggling to get a flagpole going.

Picking a favourite Fall song is impossible. It'd be like... Err... There's too many of them.

SpiderChrist

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on February 12, 2017, 07:32:28 PM
Paintwork. It's like a riddle in a mystery wrapped in a puzzle in a... oh, you know what I mean.

If I could only pick one. That, or one of the early songs that are like great short stories in themselves. 'Wings', maybe. 'Various Times', 'Specter Vs Rector', 'New Face In Hell', 'The NWRA' etc. etc.

If 'Early Years 77-79' was a double album expanded to include all the singles and B-sides up to 'Kicker Conspiracy/Wings', that would be my favourite Fall album. As it is, any of the albums (not forgetting Slates) up to Hex is the best, depending on what day it is. Today, it's Grotesque.

MoonDust

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on February 13, 2017, 03:34:16 PM
If 'Early Years 77-79' was a double album expanded to include all the singles and B-sides up to 'Kicker Conspiracy/Wings', that would be my favourite Fall album.

You mean Psychick Dancehall

http://www.thefall.org/discography/data/comp22.html

manticore

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on February 13, 2017, 03:34:16 PM
If 'Early Years 77-79' was a double album expanded to include all the singles and B-sides up to 'Kicker Conspiracy/Wings', that would be my favourite Fall album.

I've got a tape I made exactly like that. For that period The Fall were the greatest singles band there's ever been, apart from maybe the Rolling Stones '64 to '68. Ten brilliant singles in a row.

Danger Man

Free Range

Pressure guilt
Grudge match
12 cm flak unit
Range 1 stroke 35

They don't write them like that anymore.

Milverton