Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:11:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

your absolute favourite Fall song

Started by the science eel, February 11, 2017, 10:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Roofdog

shiftwork2

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on February 12, 2017, 07:32:28 PM
Paintwork. It's like a riddle in a mystery wrapped in a puzzle in a... oh, you know what I mean.

My favourite too.  Utterly maddening rhythm, it seems to swim in and out of consciousness and it contains

Mam said 'them continentals are little monkeys'
and later we had liver and sausage - over

jobotic

Leave the Capitol, Garden, Paintwork, Repetition, Various Times etc etc...no way I can decide.

jobotic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

"Kessel Fever" off Mid Nacht Kollectiv.

Mr Banlon

Beagle 2

Also Paintwork.

Nah... also Blindness.

Gregory Torso

Jawbone And The Air-Rifle.

ROWCHE RUMBLE

jobotic

At the moment - Smile. The first song that made me aware of The Fall. It's fucking amazing.

On other days Paintwork, Garden, Leave The Capitol, Flat of Angles etc etc etc

bushwick

Absolutely impossible task but I'm feeling obscurist today so I will say Two Librans.

Couldn't say my favourite Fall album let alone track, depends on so many psychick variables.

Funcrusher

Another vote for 'Leave The Capitol'. I was prompted to have a look online to answer my curiosity about Adrian Sherwood's name appearing on the production credits for 'Slates', which I haven't probably pondered since before Google was a thing. According to an interview with AS, he was brought along to the studio by Geoff Travis, miked up a corridor to get some unusual sounds but Smithy wasn't into it all, and he says he only did the levels on the track he's credited on 'Middle Mass', Grant Showbiz produced it. I'm sure you're glad I could settle that for you.

Looking through tracklists for the albums I liked the most back in the day, the standouts are:
The Man Who's Head Expanded
Hip Priest
Pay Your Rates
Flat of Angles
Leave The Capitol
Marquis Cha Cha
Eat Y'Self Fitter
Tempo House
Lay of the Land
Slang King
C.R.E.E.P ('his oppression abounds, his type is doing the rounds')
Bombast
Gross Chapel – British Grenadiers
US 80' 90's
Tracks 4-8 on 'Bend Sinister' are 'Mr Pharmacist', 'British Grenadiers' (you have to turn the vinyl over here), 'US 80s 90s', 'Terry Waite Sez' and 'Bournemouth Runner' – that's a pretty storming run of tunes, and the ones on either side aren't bad either.

buttgammon

If pushed, I'd say The Classical, but New Puritan, Hip Priest, Middle Mass, Container Drivers and Solicitor in Studio are all very close.

iamcoop

Yesterday it was English scheme (the way he delivers the psychotic brother line always makes me piss myself)

Too many, changes daily.

bushwick

by album:

Witch Trials - Mother-Sister!
Dragnet - Choc-Stock
Grotesque - The Container Drivers
Hex - Mere Pseud Mag. Ed.
Room To Live - Marquis Cha Cha
Perverted By Language - Eat Y'self Fitter
TWAFWOTF - Copped It
TNSG - Paint Work
Bend Sinister - Shoulder Pads
The Frenz Experiment - Athlete Cured
Kurious Oranj - Wrong Place, Right Time
Seminal Live - Dead Beat Descendent
Extricate - Bill Is Dead
Shift-Work - Idiot Joy Showland
Code: Selfish - The Birmingham School Of Business School
Middle Class Revolt - Junk Man
Cerebral Caustic - The Aphid
The Light User Syndrome - Das Vulture Ans Ein Nutter-Wain

hahaha man I will come back to this later, it's a right bloody task, am only up to 1996 ffs

Gamma Ray

I am not a fan of The Fall and could only name about three of their songs but the live version of Life Just Bounces from A World Bewitched roxx pretty fuckin' HARD.

Janie Jones

Quote from: bushwick on January 26, 2018, 02:58:19 PM

The Frenz Experiment - Athlete Cured

Stop this 'By Album' cop-out or start another thread :-)

Athlete Cured still makes me laugh out loud and has a brilliant riff. We have to choose one song, that's the rules. This is mine. It's given my family so many catch phrases. 'An odour resembling hotdogs... willy nilly in the driveway... citizens of my street... and never seen again...' 

Aaaaaagh, look under.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

As we all know, "Athlete Cured" is simply "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" by Spinal Tap with different lyrics.

The cunt's choice for Best Fall Song is "Scareball" because it's an obscure b-side hardly anyone has heard.

However I go for the cunt's cunt's choice, which is "Backdrop". A song that appears on 2 obscure live albums but was never recorded in the studio.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

The cunt's cunt's cunt's choice would be "Crackhouse", which only exists on live bootlegs from 1997 and never made it to any official live album or radio session.

wosl

Quote from: jobotic on January 26, 2018, 01:48:11 PMAt the moment - Smile. The first song that made me aware of The Fall. It's fucking amazing.

The Peel Sessions version of that is especially amazing; the drums and guitars clatter and grind to better effect than on the one on Perverted By Language, and MES reins in the affectations on the vox a touch (while at the same time sounding more beleaguered), giving them a more powerful directness. 

Howj Begg

Cruiser's Creek. Sorry to be boring.

Jockice

Quote from: Janie Jones on January 27, 2018, 01:42:09 AM
Stop this 'By Album' cop-out or start another thread :-)

Athlete Cured still makes me laugh out loud and has a brilliant riff. We have to choose one song, that's the rules. This is mine. It's given my family so many catch phrases. 'An odour resembling hotdogs... willy nilly in the driveway... citizens of my street... and never seen again...' 

Aaaaaagh, look under.

Athlete Cured is my second-favourite Fall song ever. I interviewed Mark E a couple of years afterwards and asked him if he deliberately used that riff. Yes, he did. My favourite part is the bit where the line 'I also discovered' is delivered in a completely different voice to the rest of the song. For no apparent reason.

the ouch cube

the science eel

We're listening to all their albums in order on the Fall site. One every Saturday night, live. It's fun!

First thread is here.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thefall/live-at-the-witch-trials-sync-listen-27-10-18-t43215.html

see you next Saturday for a synchronised listen to Dragnet

saltysnacks

Like many people, my first album was This Nation's Saving Grace. The first proper song is Bombast and I loved it, it has a real manic energy and thick sound. I've listened to most of their albums, but I will always have a soft spot for Bombast for being my introduction to their sound. I was about 13 I think.