Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:54:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

your absolute favourite Fall song

Started by the science eel, February 11, 2017, 10:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog90

I was relistening to Ibis-Afro Man from AYAMW the other day.
It's such an unlistenable mess, but I love it for some indescribable reason.
It's the fried egg chili chutney sandwich of Fall songs.

Dr Rock

Has anyone ever done a mash-up where one of the songs is a Fall song? Cruiser's Creek is an obvious example of how it could be good.

sevendaughters

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 30, 2018, 11:53:46 AM
Has anyone ever done a mash-up where one of the songs is a Fall song? Cruiser's Creek is an obvious example of how it could be good.

Some feller on yer Fall Online forum did a mash up of "Fall Sound" and New Order's "Age Of Consent ". Jolly good, it was.

I can only whittle it down to 8.

1) Pacifying Joint
2) Barmy
3) Funnel Of Love
4) Mr Pharmacist
5) Mexico Wax Solvent
6) There's A Ghost In My House
7) Kurious Oranj
8) Underground Medicin

Pingers

You spodes, it's the Peel session version of Smile, of course. Towering, looming greatness.

shagatha crustie

C n CS Mithering maybe has the most favourite individual lyrical bits crammed into one song.

FIVE WACKY ENGLISH PROLETARIAT IDIOTS

Californians always think of sex... or think of death

'Go on Roundtable. I like your record - eyeah, urgh, great!'

See ya mate - YEAH, SEE YA MATE. See ya mate! - yeah see ya, MATE.

shagatha crustie

Also Garden, Blindness, Paintwork. Obvious choices perhaps but for good reason.

chveik

Oz Oz Alice

Impossible question but today in a melancholy mood it's Weather Report, the closer to Your Future, Our Clutter. I don't believe no one called Mark sir in his life unless we're disregarding Greater Manchester's entire police force; the rest of it rings true. It is a rare example of MES allowing himself to be vulnerable. When he sings "the whirlpools grow wider" it turns into a feedback loop where the music is describing him describing the music. Then the ending: "you don't deserve rock'n'roll" describes why The Fall are so great, the intake of breath at the end before it all cuts out.

Halfway through writing this post I think I changed my mind Though. Is it Fantastic Life?

Famous Mortimer

I agree with the extremely smart poster from page 1 who said "The Classical". It's dead good.

sevendaughters

I see I said Hexen Definitive 2 years ago but today I will go for Janet Johnny + James.

Egyptian Feast

'Winter' or 'Bury pts. 1 & 3' today, but I can't disagree with most of the choices in this thread (including my own earlier picks).

Pingers

I wonder what the correlation is with age. There's a lot of love for YFOC on here, and it's a perfectly good album, but by that point I had become unsure how many Fall albums I really needed. Is anyone's favourite Fall track from outside their own key Fall listening years? Most of my favourites are from the 80s which is when I first got into them.

jobotic

Life Just Bounces is a bit later than my era but it's great.

Norton Canes

Dunno, 'Hit The North' I guess. I Googled 'how many songs do I know by The Fall' and there weren't actually that many.

badaids

Big New Prinz

That live performance art clip on you tube is amazing.

Sin Agog

Prob Bingo Master's Breakout 'cause I used to caterwaul it with my little brother during his first forays with alchiehole.  Love that keyboard that sounds like it came attached to a kid's picture book.

Said it before but I will always prefer the Blue Orchids (90% ex-Fallers), with their rickety appropriation of Texas psyche.  The Flood is one of the great post-punk songs.  It sounds the spit of something you'd hear from all those mid-'00s geetarr bands, except way better.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_f2ys3Q-b4

the science eel

Quote from: Pingers on September 17, 2020, 02:59:16 PM
I wonder what the correlation is with age. There's a lot of love for YFOC on here, and it's a perfectly good album, but by that point I had become unsure how many Fall albums I really needed. Is anyone's favourite Fall track from outside their own key Fall listening years? Most of my favourites are from the 80s which is when I first got into them.

For all the talk of consistency and Peel's oft-quoted line about never being able to write them off, I think almost-objectively that their truly GREAT material was all done in the first few years. Like, 80% of essential Fall coming between their inception and 1986. I mean:

Rebellious Jukebox
Bingo Master's Breakout
It's The New Thing
Leave The Capitol
English Scheme
Rowche Rumble
Totally Wired
How I Wrote 'Elastic Man'
City Hobgoblins
Psycho Mafia
The Classical
The NWRA
Various Times
Hip Priest
In My Area
Winter

honestly I could go on for ages with this list, and I'm only looking at the first few albums and singles. They were CRAZY good for a while, something close to England's answer to the VU (they lacked the softer side and when they tried for it later with the likes of 'Bill Is Dead', it sounded a bit naff to these ears), easily as good as Sonic Youth, similarly 'odd' but actually much more accessible.

the science eel

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 17, 2020, 06:03:27 PM
Prob Bingo Master's Breakout 'cause I used to caterwaul it with my little brother during his first forays with alchiehole.  Love that keyboard that sounds like it came attached to a kid's picture book.

Said it before but I will always prefer the Blue Orchids (90% ex-Fallers), with their rickety appropriation of Texas psyche.  The Flood is one of the great post-punk songs.  It sounds the spit of something you'd hear from all those mid-'00s geetarr bands, except way better.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_f2ys3Q-b4

Bramah posted something last week about it being exactly 40 years since it was recorded. It's one hell of a tune!

spaghetamine

Arid Al's Dream, an outtake from the Shiftwork sessions, is my most listened to Fall tune by a long way - features some lovely melodic chiming guitars and atonal violin along with lyrics that have something of a Philip K Dick flavour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w86o-RBF9A

chveik

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 17, 2020, 06:03:27 PM
Said it before but I will always prefer the Blue Orchids (90% ex-Fallers), with their rickety appropriation of Texas psyche. 

it's a nice song but you're taking the piss.

Sin Agog

Quote from: chveik on September 17, 2020, 06:48:13 PM
it's a nice song but you're taking the piss.

I wasn't referring to that track at all, but all the organ-heavy psychey songs on their first album and EP.  Clearly indebted to things like Cold Sun, 13th Floor Elevators, Red Crayola, and shit like that.

chveik

famethrowa

Quote from: badaids on September 17, 2020, 05:52:24 PM
Big New Prinz

That live performance art clip on you tube is amazing.

You mean this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wygQmJ59E4Q

What's he doing with the walkman at the start?

non capisco

Quote from: Pingers on September 17, 2020, 02:59:16 PM
I wonder what the correlation is with age. There's a lot of love for YFOC on here, and it's a perfectly good album, but by that point I had become unsure how many Fall albums I really needed.

In retrospect for me Your Future Our Clutter is the last great Fall album. Absolutely loved it when it came out and love it still, a focused mood of attack right from that pounding drum intro on 'O.F.Y.C Showcase' that sustains all the way through the album. 'Bury Pts. 1 + 3' actually is one of my all time favourite Fall songs, the bit where it all properly kicks in after that distorted 'transistor radio bubbling up from a well full of mulch' intro is one of the most air-punching moments in their entire catalogue. It also helps that it's a rhythmic dead ringer for 'New Big Prinz' and felt at the time like a deliberate callback, almost like a sign off. The previously mentioned whisper of "You don't deserve rock 'n' roll" at the end of the closing 'Weather Report 2' could have stood as a fitting farewell. I suspected at the time it probably was Mark's final kiss off and a fine way to go out, still sharp, still vital and defiant.

It was then entirely appropriate to the MES ethos that it was immediately followed up by an alienating collection of gurgling unlistenable rubbish and then some more stuff that was just sort of alright if you were in the mood for it.

Pingers

^ a good post. Bury Parts 1 + 3 is possibly the last great Fall song.

I'm assuming the collection of Peel sessions is canon on here. Session six, from 23 March 1983, has 4 tracks which get a number of mentions further up the thread: Smile, Garden, Hexen Definitive - Strife Knot, Eat Y'self Fitter. Unbelievably great.

sevendaughters

I think there is a solid mini-album of very good post-Bury tracks: Taking Off, Sir William Wray, Jetplane, Black Roof, Dedication Not Medication, and their last great song, Auto Chip 2014-2016.

phantom_power

I think I'm Going to Spain is one of my most-played Fall songs. That and Eat Yrself Fitter probably