Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:12:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Splatoon 2

Started by Shay Chaise, February 12, 2017, 11:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

https://youtu.be/2QjK3uTO4mg

Global Testfire demo coming late March, which seems like an excellent bit of marketing and market research, as well as a technical test. It looks like a refined version of Splatoon, which I got too very very late (last month, in fact!) and I will definitely be picking this up when it's released. Anyone else planning on it?

Kelvin

I probably will eventually, but while I absolutely loved the first game, this really doesn't look different enough yet to justify a purchase straight away.

I understand Nintendo's predicament, wanting to get as many games as possible out in the first year, but my concern is that games like Mario Kart, Splatoon, and probably Smash Bros will end up as little more than ports, rather than the comprehensive overhauls Nintendo usually give a game on a new platform. If those overhauls come later, fine, but my biggest concern is that these are the only iterations we'll get of these games, and I've already played them for countless hours already.   

Shay Chaise

This starts in one minute, lasts an hour. I'm off for a bath and a dip in.

Several other times over the weekend, too, but this is the first.

Shay Chaise

Can't even connect to the Internet, it says. I hope they learn from this.

Consignia

It's pretty cool to play it on a handheld, but it's just Splatoon, it's literally the same game. We all knew this of course.

Shay Chaise

Yeah, I connected, played one game and I've turned it off. I wasn't convinced by Splatoon on the Wii U, really, and this hasn't done a single thing to change my mind.

Shay Chaise

The first Switch STINKER

Thursday

Couldn't even connect either. Very briefly got into the tutorial lobby but lost it again when it tried to connect to a game. I was even sitting in the same room as the router. So I don't know if it's an advert for the LAN adapter or it just couldn't take the pressure regardless.

Consignia

To be fair, I loved the original, but this is doing little to convince me to buy again.

Shay Chaise

If they called it Splatoon Deluxe, in line with Mazza Kazza Dulazza, that'd be OK but it's no sequel.

Shay Chaise

I had another game this morning and will get back on it this evening. I'm pleased enough it exists and I'll get stuck in day one no doubt but it's not really my thing at all. I don't find the 'gunplay' satisfying and the basic gameplay loop of painting the walls and floor is quite boring. If it were based on kills, with painted areas giving you a buff or something like that, I'd probably be more into it but I feel I spend three quarters of my time shooting paint at walls with no other players around.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I only realised you could spawn on teammates this morning so there is likely a lot I'm doing wrong.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on March 25, 2017, 02:31:07 PM
I had another game this morning and will get back on it this evening. I'm pleased enough it exists and I'll get stuck in day one no doubt but it's not really my thing at all. I don't find the 'gunplay' satisfying and the basic gameplay loop of painting the walls and floor is quite boring.

It's worth bearing in mind that there are many different types of mode, once you reach a certain rank. So it changes from painting the floor (walls don't count towards the coverage percentage), to games where you have to steal an object, or where you have to protect a moving platform, or a mode where you have to control a certain area. The core mechanic is obviously still shooting ink, but the gameplay focus changes considerably.

QuoteIf it were based on kills, with painted areas giving you a buff or something like that, I'd probably be more into it but I feel I spend three quarters of my time shooting paint at walls with no other players around.

The original didn't have a mode where kills = points, but it did have modes (as mentioned above) which were entirely focussed on killing enemies, to protect or win back an area, or to obtain an item.Those modes were absolutely insane, stupidly intense, and meant dying/killing constantly. The basic mode you play in the testfire and for the first few hours in the original game is much more slow paced and suited to beginners learning the mechanics. I always thought it took too long to access the other modes, so hopefully that's something they've fixed in the new (full) version.     

QuotePlease tell me what I'm doing wrong. I only realised you could spawn on teammates this morning so there is likely a lot I'm doing wrong.

Certainly if you're painting walls, you're wasting a huge amount of time and energy for nothing. Victory in the basic mode is based on floor coverage as seen from the air in the final pan out. Walls don't count towards anything, and should only be painted if you want to use the ink to swim up the side of something and reach better vantage points. Try different weapons, too. The different combinations of main, sub and special weapon considerably changes how you have to play the game, with some more suited to defensive gameplay, others more suited to team support, others more outwardly aggressive. This also means that certain weapons are more suited to certain modes, eg. the roller is good for the basic floor painting mode, but pretty useless when playing modes like the platform defense.     

I absolutely love the original game, but I know from experience that it felt repetitive initially, when you couldn't access the full variety of modes and items (you had to be level 5 or 10, I think). For me the core gameplay is extremely good fun and very addictive, but there were plenty of mistakes made in areas like match-making, local multiplayer, and the mode rollout plan that I'm hoping they correct for the sequel. 

Shay Chaise

Thanks, great reply and info. That might begin to explain a few things then. I never reached Rank 10 in the original but I was aware that I would need to in order to unlock something - I just never bothered playing that much.

I'm laughing at the walls thing because I literally go round painting the walls wondering why nobody else bothers. It's remarkable that I've actually won a few rounds and come top, given how much time I waste on this.

If someone played an hour of Dark Souls, they'd not even be scratching the surface so I'll fully accept that I've not got into the game enough yet to see what it offers. I'll have another go this evening and see how I get on. I didn't actually realise you have sub weapons, either. I thought you just have your weapon and that's that.

Cheers!

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on March 25, 2017, 05:02:01 PM
Thanks, great reply and info. That might begin to explain a few things then. I never reached Rank 10 in the original but I was aware that I would need to in order to unlock something - I just never bothered playing that much.

Rank 10 was much too high, I always thought. It should have been rank 3 or rank 5. That's long enough for you to grasp the basics.   

QuoteIf someone played an hour of Dark Souls, they'd not even be scratching the surface so I'll fully accept that I've not got into the game enough yet to see what it offers. I'll have another go this evening and see how I get on.

It might be worth waiting until the full game comes out, as they will probably unlock the other modes much faster this time, and if you're getting fed up of the basic mode, persisting with it during a beta test probably isn't going to help. Personally, I'm not going to bother with the testfire, and will just get the game when it comes out, or maybe a few months later, when it has more free content released.

One other tip: you shouldn't be walking very much in this game. You're meant to move as a squid, then shoot as a kid. If you're running everywhere, you're more vulnerable and also painfully slow.

You also mentioned buffs in your other post. The game offers considerable buffs in the main game via clothing, all of which can be changed, and all of which offers between 1 and 3 buffs per piece of clothing. Buffs can be stacked, and include stealth perks, faster respawn, faster special weapon charge up, and many more. You can get additional buff slots and pay money to buy clothing with better stats, or stats more suited to your play style.     

brat-sampson

My Switch's connection to the WiFi in my room is *wank* so I had a quick go at this on the sofa instead, where it seemed to work fine. I couldn't really decide which control method I liked best though. Gyro for vertical and stick for horizontal seems a pretty fucked up default choice, but I was enjoying it more with detached Joycons.

I'm probably unlikely to actually buy this, but I can see why so many people are into it. Like Overwatch I guess.

Thursday

Got connected, seemed it was an issue with needing to properly restart my switch. (I thought it was weird you only seemed to be able to put the console in sleep mode)

Had a much better time when I fucked off motion controls. Was fun, but quite difficult when I'm barely grasping the basic controls and mechanics , playing against people who seem to know them.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on March 25, 2017, 08:09:02 PM
Had a much better time when I fucked off motion controls.

I know this is only a test, and I have no idea how good the gyroscopic motion controls are in the Switch version, but in the Wii U version it was definitely worth persisting with them as, once mastered, they allowed the kind of speed and precision you could never get from a control stick.

Glad you were able to give the new game a try, though. I was a bit worried that the connection issues boded badly for Switch's online service.   

Thursday

I'm starting to wonder if I just shake involuntarily a lot more than is normal, because it was annoying me in Zelda as well. Maybe I just need to turn down the sensitivity.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on March 25, 2017, 11:44:42 PM
I'm starting to wonder if I just shake involuntarily a lot more than is normal, because it was annoying me in Zelda as well. Maybe I just need to turn down the sensitivity.

Yeah, see if that's an option. I never liked gyroscope controls in games, including the Windwaker HD remake, until I played splatoon, and most recently Breath of The Wild. In both games, I'd never want to go back to stick aiming, and if that can be replicated in other games (albeit with the option to turn it off, for people who don't like it), I'd be very happy.

Consignia

Despite not being all that impressed with the demo, I bought Splatoon 2 on Friday. I must say, I'm really getting into it. Because of it's short-form gameplay, I can just switch it on, jump into a game, and be finished in less than 5 minutes. So it's great when you've got a spare few minutes in between other things. It's so much more suited to the Switch than the Wii U.

It does feel a real improvement on the first game, even it is Splatoon 1.5 really. I'm still less than level 10, but Turf Wars are still as fun as ever, and I'm sure the levels are much more interesting than the originals. I've barely scratched the surface of Single Player or Salmon Rush modes yet.

Really was on the fence, but I'm glad I picked it up.

Thursday

I've been doing some of the single player, and found it a lot fun. Even though it does feel like it's more of an afterthought, it makes me think it shouldn't be and there's lots of potential for a proper singleplayer action/platformer with these mechanics because they suit them well.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Consignia on July 23, 2017, 11:45:14 AMIt's so much more suited to the Switch than the Wii U.

How do you location jump without the separate touch screen?  Also, is motion aiming disabled when you're handheld?  Splatoon is the game that uniquely justified the Wii U gamepad for me.

Consignia

The location jumping is a bit awkward. You switch to a minimap at the push of a button, you have a cursor which you can move to pick a jump point such as another team member or beacon, and then you switch the map off. In practice, it's not too bad.

You can use motion controls in any mode, but I turned them off since I don't like motion controls of any description.

Thursday

I seemed to be struggling in turf wars a bit, was the least valuable player on my team almost every time. Then I unlocked the  Aerospray MG and am now the highest scoring player on my team almost every time.

I gave Salmon run a go, and I think the fact that it randomly chooses a different weapon for you each wave might ruin it for me. It kept giving me shit weapons for the situation. Otherwise it would be a lot of fun.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Thursday on July 23, 2017, 04:08:01 PM
I seemed to be struggling in turf wars a bit, was the least valuable player on my team almost every time. Then I unlocked the  Aerospray MG and am now the highest scoring player on my team almost every time....

Yeah, in the first – and I'm sure I wasn't alone – finding which weapons were a good fit were a big part of getting to grips with it.

Also, I found that score didn't always get across who were the most valuable players. For instance, sometimes harrying the opposition meant playing in a way that wouldn't get a big score, but would disrupt their ability to cover turf (e.g. having to waste time hunting someone down or having to keep running away from them). 

Shay Chaise

I've been playing for one morning and already higher rank than I ever was on Wii U. Really really enjoying it. I'm using the Roller which I guess won't get me too far against better players but it's clicking for me at this point. Win or lose I'm having fun, and I'm mostly winning, coming second in my team.

I really like the brevity of the matches and the rotation of the maps, too. Before I get tired, they're refreshing things. I strongly suspect this will be most fun with a group so I look forward to the Cane and Rinse night in a week or so but if we can get eight on here, even better.

I'll start a thread.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Thursday on July 23, 2017, 04:08:01 PM
I seemed to be struggling in turf wars a bit, was the least valuable player on my team almost every time. Then I unlocked the  Aerospray MG and am now the highest scoring player on my team almost every time.

Thanks for this tip, I win every game or carry my team every time now.

Thursday

I'm trying out other weapons now, as it has it's  weaknesses and obviously there can be other tactical reasons for choosing other weapons which don't show up so well in the final score. Plus I'm wary of it becoming the noob/cheese weapon. But it does seem to be the best at my level. I do wish it was more powerful at taking people out, but weapons that do that just don't seem to be as fun. And rollers are fun, but while I assume you can get good at using it as a projectile, it does just seem slightly too slow in those situations.

I'm tempted to watch some of these pro-tournaments just to see how they play, because I've always got this slight feeling sometimes that I'm not quite doing it properly.

Plus with the other game modes you unlock on ranked battles, there's lots more nuances to learn.

Although I do suspect sometimes players are either overthinking things, or they are just children and don't seem to understand the point of the game.

Shay Chaise

In the last thirty rounds, I've only not got come top once. I'm actually OK at this game, relative to other total noobs.

I think good use of the super is key for that weapon. I almost always waste loads of players and get loads of territory with those curling bombs. Looking forward to rank 10!

Shay Chaise

This has just been patched, minor weapon super charge adjustments, but curiously not the Aerospray! They also patched out the XP ticket farming glitch. I only got a few but I'm not too disappointed or bothered.

Kelvin made the point that it's looks uglier than the first, or at least the lobby does. I'm convinced that the dreadful frame rate in the lobby in the first game is what gave me motion sickness and this is little better. Thank goodness you can shortcut to everything. I think the actual game is gorgeous, though, probably the best instance of that glossy plastic Nintendo veneer they've been cultivating for a while now. The flecks of glitter in the ink in single player are even nicer, shame it's not doable in multiplayer, too.