Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:17:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Splatoon 2

Started by Shay Chaise, February 12, 2017, 11:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I read that certain modes in this are locked out at certain times. Eh?

Edit: I read it on NeoGAF so it might just be bollocks.

Shay Chaise

One mode, the horde mode, Salmon Run. It's open all weekend and a few evenings during the week, I'm not sure why. Probably will ensure healthy interest in that mode, I guess.

Thursday

Thought it was every other day. It does seem weird and pointless, I suppose the idea is it makes sure you can get matched up with other people as it focuses when people will play it.

Mango Chimes

Back in my day, we had to wait a whole MONTH for a Splatfest, which only took place for two days and then THAT WAS IT until the next one. You Splatoon 2 kids don't know you're born.

Bhazor

I like it as an idea. Keeps the community together which brings down waiting times. It also stops any mode being abandoned. Anyone who has queued 10 minutes for an all random DOTA 2 match will know what that's like.

Thursday

Quote from: Mango Chimes on July 27, 2017, 11:29:25 PM
Back in my day, we had to wait a whole MONTH for a Splatfest, which only took place for two days and then THAT WAS IT until the next one. You Splatoon 2 kids don't know you're born.

I know you're joking, but we still do, it's just a slightly odd choice to make this particular mode semi-available. Means it's not an "event" but it's not quite a regular ever.

Kelvin

Played this for an hour or so this evening, and it's as fun as the Wii U one. I'm amazed by how many basic problems have carried over from the previous game, though:

• You now have to sit through an even longer intro every time you start the game, despite this being one of the most frequently complained about features in the original.
  • You still can't play any other modes until you reach level 10, which takes far, far too long to reach.
  • You still can't change equipment between matches
And on top of that, the game has actually got markedly worse in several areas:

• The map is now all but unusable unless you've just been killed. It should only appear when you hold (rather than tap) the button, and selecting launch spots should be miles easier.
  • The motion controls, which were absolutely brilliant in the original once you got over the learning curve, are now seriously borked, with the deactivation of the x axis. In the original, you aimed with the control stick, then used the motion controls to rapidly refine your aim. Now, you constantly have to re-centre with y, which you should just be able to look up and down. Why on earth have they done that?
It honestly feels like a DLC pack for the original game, rather than an advancement, or even refinement. 

Kelvin

Like the first one, this game is so much fun. I just wish Nintendo wouldn't be so backwards at times.

Why the hell can't I send messages to friends in game? Not anything major. Just "Do you want to play Salmon run mode?" "Good game" "Yeah!" "Nah"
Basic stuff like that, so you can actually organise matches, etc.

I unlocked League mode last night, and it sounds like a fun idea, but is entirely based around teaming up with friends. Very disappointing. Not least because I was hoping it would be a good way to avoid having to play the truly wretched Rainmaker mode.

We really should arrange a salmon run match, though. Only needs a few of us, and gives us a chance to work together a bit.

Shay Chaise

I'd be up for that. There were only about three replies to my suggested Splatoon night (I'm not whining, just stating the facts), so I guess no lobby battles but we could do Salmon Run.

My current feeling however is that I'm a teensy bit bored of it and equally overwhelmed by all the gear stuff and various modes. If I want to level up to unlock weapons, Regular Battle seems by far the best way. On the other hand, it seems that I should be playing Salmon Run to unlock new gear which I can then scrub (?) and blah blah blah RNG slots chunks etc. I don't know what any of that is about and it's killed some of my interest in making progress. My gear does seem to be more basic/fewer slots than most players I come up against and I'm less and less successful, which I attribute to this, in part. Then, I'd also like to rank up but I'm either far too shit or my team is always shit and I have only won one ranked battle in about twenty.

All in all, I'm more engaged by Arms and Isaac (by a million miles).

Any tips on how to get the best out of my time with the game? I'm suffering from option paralysis.

Mango Chimes

In jealousy of all this, I've gone back to Splatoon for the first time in ages.  It's fucking great.  Pretty much everyone else is now maxed out at Level 50, which means they've put in a crazy amount of game time, but I've just skilled up into an S and am holding position there.  I've got my weapon that I've been using forever, and my outfit that I'm cool with, and I'm happy with my role as "mad cunt who's happy to dash like fuck towards the tower or rainmaker right at the start".

It's still got an insane level of 'one more match' compulsion about it, whether that's "I'm loving this winning streak, one more victory" or "alright, lets just make amends for that last one".

Kelvin

I can understand why you'd be overwealmed with options, Shay. I think it helps if you've played the first one, and therefore know what options matter most.

Quote from: Shay Chaise on August 05, 2017, 12:09:46 PM
If I want to level up to unlock weapons, Regular Battle seems by far the best way.

The safest way, yes. However, winning in ranked mode gives you considerably more money and rank points than Regular mode/turf wars. The downside is that if you lose at Ranked mode, you obtain only a very, very small amount of money/points, in comparison to losing in Regular.

QuoteOn the other hand, it seems that I should be playing Salmon Run to unlock new gear which I can then scrub (?) and blah blah blah RNG slots chunks etc.
Salmon run doesn't really have a lot of obvious benefits, beyond being fun (and it gets a lot better once you rank up, by the way). You can earn money, chunks, items, etc, but not really at a rate that's quicker than in ranked battles, or by simply spending money elsewhere.

To be clear, though, you don't get the majority of gear through Salmon Run. You buy it from the three shops (shoes, shirts, and hats) or by ordering it from the shifty sea urchin. The stuff you buy from the shops is cheaper, but often pretty generic. They change what they're selling once every 24 hours.

If you want to obtain the more unusual looking equipment, you either need to wait until it shows up in the shops (which can take many days), or else walk up to a player in the foyer, and press A. You'll see their equipment details, and from that screen can order any piece from the sea urchin. This is more expensive, and he takes 24 hours to obtain the item (which he also only holds for 24 hours), but it does mean you can get better equipment.

The other stuff, scrubbing items, etc, I haven't really played around with, as they seem like top tier ways to perfect your clothing, but for a high cost. Frankly, I'm not bothered by that stuff, as it's largely unnessary until you've got a lot of clothing and filled out the abilities. Just focus on the shops and ordering clothes at first.     

QuoteMy gear does seem to be more basic/fewer slots than most players I come up against

In the shops, clothing with a higher number of slots cost more. However, even items with only one slot are worth buying if it's an ability you like, as you can add slots to any piece of clothing, up to a maximum of three. It's not clear to me yet how you increase slots in this game, but I imagine it's the same as in the original, where you won sea snails in the splatfests, and then gave them to the sea urchin in exchange for more slots. You can also pay for them at some point, too. I need to look into that.   

The other option is, yet again, to just order the clothing from the sea urchin, as he gets you clothing with the same number of slots as the player you picked out.

Final tip regarding clothing: don't just buy everything. Work out which abilities you want (there's a list of what they do in your options), then focus on buying clothing with those abilities, or which simply look cool. It will cost a fortune and take forever to buy everything. I, for example, only focus on about 5 abilities, and stay wearing clothing with as many of those attributes as possible. 

One last thing, which you didn't mention, but I actually think is the most poorly explained part of the game: Crusty Sean's food truck.
If you don't already know, you get the tickets for this character in single player, or by playing Salmon Run, and you then trade the food tickets at the truck, for food and drink items that buff you in online matches. Each item buffs you for a set number of games (I think it's 30?), and they vary from a higher likelihood of getting certain attributes when clothing ranks up, to earning more money, or earning more ranking points.

In effect, it's worth cashing them in when you find one, but not specifically going out of your way to obtain them. 

Shay Chaise

Cheers, Kelvin. I think I'll swerve Salmon Run for the moment then and concentrate on ranking up with a bit of Turf War along the way. Also, very useful info about gear and ordering as I didn't know the ins and outs, nor where you do it, I'd just heard you could order other people's clothes but didn't know how or why I'd bother. That makes much more sense.

Mango Chimes

Splatoon 1 shop info that may or may not still be relevant: Can't find much of a reference for this now, but I beliiiieve your winning streak affects what stuff is available to buy in the shots (i.e. if you're 'on fire', you get to buy kit you otherwise wouldn't). And getting all the stuff in the single player mode unlocks some extra branded weapons, and ranking up gives you exclusive clothing too. As do Amiibos, annoyingly.

Splatoon on release was essentially quite slim, but they released new gear, and levels, and game modes every few months for a good year or two.  Are they doing that for 2?

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on August 05, 2017, 04:23:10 PM
Splatoon 1 shop info that may or may not still be relevant: Can't find much of a reference for this now, but I beliiiieve your winning streak affects what stuff is available to buy in the shots (i.e. if you're 'on fire', you get to buy kit you otherwise wouldn't).

Really? I never knew that. There doesn't appear to be a direct equivalent to that ranking in Splatoon 2, though.

QuoteAnd getting all the stuff in the single player mode unlocks some extra branded weapons, and ranking up gives you exclusive clothing too. As do Amiibos, annoyingly.

You defintely unlock new "hero" weapons and clothing in solo player, for use in multiplayer. I didn't know about ranking affecting clothing, though. That might explain why some clothing never seems to appear in shops, only on other players.  I just order it all from the urchin, though.

(fun fact: in the original game, the sea urchin character, Spyke, used to use sea snails to give you more attribute slots, and he was surrounded by empty shells, trembling live snails, and a single screw-driver. In the sequel, they've added a similarly gruesome touch. Look in the young urchin's suitcase... 

QuoteSplatoon on release was essentially quite slim, but they released new gear, and levels, and game modes every few months for a good year or two.  Are they doing that for 2?

Yes. Although this game starts with much more. All the old ranked modes are present from launch, as are most of the weapons they released later in the original. Plus, they have the new Salmon run mode. They've already added several new weapons since launch, though.

Kelvin

Splatfest is on today, if you'd forgotten.

Worth signing up to a team, even if you don't play much, as, if it's like the first game, you'll still get given sea snails just for being on the winning side. And sea snails are the easiest way to upgrade gear.

The more you play, the more sea snails you'll get though.

Bazooka

Thought fuck it and went to buy a Switch in town today, still none in stock anywhere except CEX but I'm not paying nearly £50 quid more than Amazon are charging.

Shay Chaise

Cane and Rinse Splatoon night was quality this evening. Still going on, spaces available if you follow @dezmond on Twitter for the details. I know Thursday's joined before for the Mario Kart night, good folk.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Kelvin on August 05, 2017, 05:52:51 PMI didn't know about ranking affecting clothing, though. That might explain why some clothing never seems to appear in shops, only on other players.  I just order it all from the urchin, though.

I find him so creepy I don't go near.  It's such an odd feature in this bright, colourful, playful world of joy that down a dodgy back alley there's some kind of crackhead dealer you can speak to.  Brr.

The winning streak ranking affects what's on sale (I think), the numerical experience ranking gives you a piece of exclusive kit every five levels after a certain point (25 or so? I think they added this when they bumped the maximum), and the alphabetic ranking doesn't give you owt far as I'm aware.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on August 06, 2017, 11:32:13 AM
I find him so creepy I don't go near.  It's such an odd feature in this bright, colourful, playful world of joy that down a dodgy back alley there's some kind of crackhead dealer you can speak to.  Brr.

The winning streak ranking affects what's on sale (I think), the numerical experience ranking gives you a piece of exclusive kit every five levels after a certain point (25 or so? I think they added this when they bumped the maximum), and the alphabetic ranking doesn't give you owt far as I'm aware.

I think you're right about the ranking affecting the available clothes, as I've just hit level 17, and suddenly the shops are full of better clothing. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

Shay Chaise

Thanks again for that explanation the other day, Kelvin. I've had a fantastic time with this over the last 48 hours. I really really enjoyed the Splatfest, loved all the changes to the arenas and music and stuff, it felt properly cool, and it was also great to go back to normal. I managed to get to Mayo Queen rank and probably topped 75% of games today, I had a great time, learned a lot of tricks and tactics from better players and definitely improved my game. It's just a hell of a lot of fun. Can't wait to see where they go from here. I also think the Splatfests are great because even if I drop off with my daily play, I'll always make sure to show up for the events and have fun. If ARMS had anything similar, I think it'd be a great draw.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on August 06, 2017, 08:52:44 PM
Thanks again for that explanation the other day, Kelvin. I've had a fantastic time with this over the last 48 hours. I really really enjoyed the Splatfest, loved all the changes to the arenas and music and stuff, it felt properly cool, and it was also great to go back to normal. I managed to get to Mayo Queen rank and probably topped 75% of games today, I had a great time, learned a lot of tricks and tactics from better players and definitely improved my game. It's just a hell of a lot of fun. Can't wait to see where they go from here. I also think the Splatfests are great because even if I drop off with my daily play, I'll always make sure to show up for the events and have fun. If ARMS had anything similar, I think it'd be a great draw.

No problem, Shay. I absolutely love the Splatoon games, and enjoy converting as many people to them as possible. I won 24 glorious sea snails in that splatfest, so I've been upgrading all my gear, and re-rolling the attributes on gear I think looks cool. It's surprising how much difference a cumulative bunch of clothing skills can have on the game. My Special charges so quickly now, and coupled with the right weapons, it's a lethal combination - especially in Splat Zones.   

Splat fests are always fun, and encourage a really great sense of community, with players using their artwork to smack talk each other all throughout the week leading up to it, then fighting it out during a big concert and party. Has any other game ever done anything like that before? Or with that much panache? It's great.

Thursday

Wish these furries would keep their fetish out of my squid-teen dress-up game.

Kelvin

New multiplayer stage, new Salmon Run stage, and new special weapon being added in the next week or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBQMfvJaXTI

Anyone still playing this? After something like 85 hours, I've had my fill of the mutiplayer for now, but still need to finish the last couple of single player stages.

I absolutely love the multiplayer modes, especially Salmon Run, but I do wish a few more of the single player elements would make their way into the multiplayer stages. Things like bouncing platforms, cannons (which do admittedly appear in some of the later Salmon Run modes), grinding rails... fun stuff like that. Maybe they'll turn up in some of the levels they plan to add later on.

Conversely, I still think that the single player is relatively uninspired. I think the biggest problem is the sheer lack of variety in the level aesthetics. It's just a tons of rocks and objects floating around a differently lit dome every time. It also doesn't help that some weapons, like the charger and blaster, just aren't that much fun to use, imo. Too slow and weak.

Whatever. I absolutely love the game, or at least the multiplayer, overall. Other than Zelda, it's comfortably my favourite game on the Switch so far. I just hope that next game, with more development time, they take more risks and move things along in the way they usually do with their core titles.   

Shay Chaise

I've barely touched it since the Splatfest because it seemed like a comedown and I was making big strides with Isaac which dominated my game time. Maybe I've put fifteen hours into this. I think it's great fun and I prefer it to what I played of the first game. I like that the games are short but I don't always fancy the commitment of multiplayer gaming, and never have done, really. I seldom enjoy 'doing a job/fulfilling a role', which is 99% of the game. I don't enjoy Salmon Run at all, nor the single player stuff, though, and Turf War is still my favourite mode. Splat Zones in particular seems redundant and boring, from the Ranked stuff.

I'll basically get back into it for every Splatfest, and enjoy the sense of occasion and remixed content.

Thursday

Well this game is absolute filth

Kelvin

haha, I photographed that too. No wonder people prefer her.

Thursday

Actually just saw it shared on twitter.

Is it odd that I find myself surprised that wasn't Pearl's point of view? Seems like they'd normally give a weird pervy line to her.

Shay Chaise

Pearl is one ugly bastard and looks like a kid, which really bothers me because Marina is bangin.

Kelvin

Much like the first game, the high point of this single player is the final boss. Very cool idea, with a "banging" soundtrack.

Cloud

I questioned whether it was particularly worth it when you already have the Wii U game and the main multiplayer action seems much the same... but the portability (without having to be in range of a base unit) really makes it.  Nothing like a good splatfest on the loo.