Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:51:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Splatoon 2

Started by Shay Chaise, February 12, 2017, 11:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mango Chimes

IT'S A SPLATFEST AND THE SERVER'S UNDERGOING MAINTENANCE YOU WHAT MATE?

Thursday

Which side you on?

Team Grown Up or Team "Mummy can you take the gherkin out of my happy meal?"

Mango Chimes

Save it for the battlefield, picklelover.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on February 10, 2018, 08:01:44 PM
Which side you on?

Team Grown Up or Team "Mummy can you take the gherkin out of my happy meal?"

Better than being on team Rick and Morty meme.

Thursday

My undefeated splatfest streak is over. I blame Rick and Morty fans.

Kelvin

I heard on the IGN podcast that Shuhei Yoshida has put hundreds of hours into this game. I just like the idea of him coming home from running Playstation every night, to play hours of Turf Wars in his pants.

Kelvin

Latest Splatfest announced for next weekend. Theme is "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

They've added a (not very good) new level and some new weapons this last week, as well. 

Mango Chimes

I liked how the paint was colour coded with the topic. Maybe that always happens in some way, but running around in a cream egg was great.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 12, 2018, 08:57:28 PM
I liked how the paint was colour coded with the topic. Maybe that always happens in some way, but running around in a cream egg was great.

They sometimes do it, not always. Best one was ketchup vs Mayo. Ended up looking like a slasher film set in an orgy.

Thursday

Hopefully they'll follow it up with the Blood vs Semen splatfest.

Mango Chimes

Having gruellingly fought my way up to Overachiever level in Salmon Run, in the hope of exciting new things at this higher level...  Only to find there are no new things, it's the same...  Fuck Salmon Run and its brown ground and its grey water and its poorly balanced gameplay. Fuck it right off.

(I expect it might be fun in local multiplayer, where you get to shout "GO AND GET THAT FUCKING TOWER CUNT!" or whatever, but it's shite as a solo online thing.)

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 19, 2018, 05:28:53 PM
Having gruellingly fought my way up to Overachiever level in Salmon Run, in the hope of exciting new things at this higher level...  Only to find there are no new things, it's the same...  Fuck Salmon Run and its brown ground and its grey water and its poorly balanced gameplay. Fuck it right off.

(I expect it might be fun in local multiplayer, where you get to shout "GO AND GET THAT FUCKING TOWER CUNT!" or whatever, but it's shite as a solo online thing.)

It does add new elements in at the higher levels, doesn't it? The Mother Ship waves, off the top of my head.

I like Salmon Run a lot, but I do agree it has balanced issues. A shit weapon can basically make you a useless for certain waves. It would probably work better if you could choose from 2-3 weapons each round, or something. It's hectic, stressful fun, though.     

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Kelvin on March 20, 2018, 09:08:04 AM
It does add new elements in at the higher levels, doesn't it? The Mother Ship waves, off the top of my head.

Ah! Okay. I only gave it the one go once I'd levelled up, and it was all the same shit – level, waves, etc. Just looked up Mothership, tho', and yes, never seen that before.

Also, turns out I agree on the single player this time round. I'm on the fourth world, and it's a continual struggle to bother. I don't know if it's definitely worse than Splatoon or if it's just because I'm very familiar with how to play the game this time round (and some of the unique stuff like rails have made their way to multiplayer), but it's a grind.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 20, 2018, 12:21:30 PM
Also, turns out I agree on the single player this time round. I'm on the fourth world, and it's a continual struggle to bother. I don't know if it's definitely worse than Splatoon or if it's just because I'm very familiar with how to play the game this time round (and some of the unique stuff like rails have made their way to multiplayer), but it's a grind.

I really disliked the Splatoon 2 single player, and it is definitely worse than the middling Splatoon 1 single player. The big difference if the way it forces you to use guns, like the chargers and blasters, that simply aren't fun to use, imo. The basic structure is the same as the original game, but being made to slog through stages using guns I hate makes it feel even more tedious than before. That's one reason I'm wary of the Splatoon 2 DLC, tbh. I would much rather they added more multiplayer modes.

Bhazor

Gorillaz style hologram gig of Splatoon 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF1vpOnvWAE

What a time to be alive.

Kelvin

They're doing some sort of new 3 week splatfest, starting this weekend. It's themed around the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. This weekend you pick between Leonardo and Raphael, next weekend between Donatello and Michelangelo, then the third weekend, you pick between the winners. Not sure if there's any accumulator bonus for sea snails or anything like that, but it's nice to see them trying new things. Thought I'd just mention it, as they don't do a very good job of promoting the splatfests imo.

Mango Chimes

They haven't even really announced it in-game. Marina mentioned 'the final' when revealing results, but I don't recall anything else. Weird.

Also, that Turtle art style is horrible.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on May 06, 2018, 05:59:24 PM
They haven't even really announced it in-game. Marina mentioned 'the final' when revealing results, but I don't recall anything else. Weird.

Also, that Turtle art style is horrible.

The art style is based off the Nickelodeon Turtles art series, apparently. They've done other Splatoon splatfests with Nickelodeon, too, I think.

Consignia

Can I say this just an amazing game just to jump in with. Not played it for months, but jumping in for a quick game is loads of fun.

Consignia

Not keen on the new Octo-Expansion. Too much precision aiming and jumping. It feels completely against the multiplayer mode.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on June 16, 2018, 04:00:09 PM
Not keen on the new Octo-Expansion. Too much precision aiming and jumping. It feels completely against the multiplayer mode.

I hated the single player stuff in Splatoon 2, so I didn't bother to pick up the DLC. When you say precision jumping, do you mean they've tried to add in platforming elements?

Consignia

It's not so much platforming, but there is some, it's there's loads of on-rails sections, with things flying at you. Too much jumping out of the way and sharp shooting.

Which is a real shame, because the aesthetic is really nice. I was hoping for such a substantially priced DLC, they'd have given a lot more thought to the single player aspect. But it's just the main single player mode, but harder. I actually liked the single player in the first one, but they've really been lazy since.

I can't believe there's a game in existence where I prefer online multiplayer to single player, but here it is. And I really do love Splatoon online.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on June 16, 2018, 04:19:32 PM
It's not so much platforming, but there is some, it's there's loads of on-rails sections, with things flying at you. Too much jumping out of the way and sharp shooting.

Which is a real shame, because the aesthetic is really nice. I was hoping for such a substantially priced DLC, they'd have given a lot more thought to the single player aspect. But it's just the main single player mode, but harder. I actually liked the single player in the first one, but they've really been lazy since.

I can't believe there's a game in existence where I prefer online multiplayer to single player, but here it is. And I really do love Splatoon online.

In fairness, Splatoon always was intended as an online multiplayer first and foremost, but with a single player tacked on to add value and teach players the fundamentals of how you play.

Consignia

Of course, of course. But as I said, I felt they made a decent whack of single player at least once.

Kelvin

Tbh, the DLC stuff looked way more appealing to me than the main single player, as I think the mechanics lend themselves more to varied bite-size challenges, rather than longer levels. Seems to have a lot more personality in the hub area, too.

Octo expansion is absolutely shit. Shame they didn't shadow drop it straight down the fuckin pan 

Kelvin

Is there anything in it, beyond the new single player content and the playable octoling?

Consignia

There's some extra equipment, but no, nothing substantial. I just wished they'd apply some Super Mario 3D World style Kishoutenketsu level design, rather than the ridiculously pedantic uninsipred challenges on offer here.

Mango Chimes

If Octo had come out for Splatoon 1, I'd have been all over it, but after the massive disappointment of the Splatoon 2 single player it doesn't seem to offer anything I'd want to bother with.

Consignia

Yeah, I'm thinking of just sacking it off and getting Hollow Knight instead. I've got a thirst for the Metroid style after Steamworld Dig.