Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:13:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Started by Kelvin, February 14, 2017, 03:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

I've decided to start a dedicated thread for this, rather than posting about it in the general Zelda and Switch threads.

To start us off, Nintendo have just announced their new Season Pass for the game, with additional content coming in both Summer and Holiday 2017:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/14/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-is-getting-a-20-season-pass-for-downloadable-extras/

Can't say any of that particularly interests me, although the new story in DLC pack 2 might be worth a look.

Also, here's a link to the current, more general Zelda thread:   http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,55064.0.html

Bazooka

Oh dear lord............. let me guess £8.99 for each pack..... oh dear lord.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bazooka on February 14, 2017, 03:25:46 PM
Oh dear lord............. let me guess £8.99 for each pack..... oh dear lord.

In effect. £17.99 for the whole lot apparently, and I don't think you can buy them separately.

buntyman

I wonder if they're releasing this shit on the Wii U as well or if this'll be the big distinction to encourage a switch to the Switch

Bhazor

Meh, thats modern gaming I guess. At least its half the price of most season passes.

brat-sampson

Part of me trusts Nintendo to make good worthwhile DLC after Mario kart etc, but then another part of me wonders how much they've now caught up with modern standards...

Kelvin

It's not Nintendo's first foray in this territory, it has to be said. Mario Kart 8 offered two DLC packs, with an additional 16 tracks, for a very reasonable price a few years back. That seemed much better value than this, though. I'll probably hold off until I know more about the story DLC at the end of the year.   

Bazooka

Hyrule Warriors DLC prices are pretty shocking, just for a character. It wouldn't be so bad, but by the time they released the dlc characters the gameplay was pretty stale.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bazooka on February 14, 2017, 04:32:47 PM
Hyrule Warriors DLC prices are pretty shocking, just for a character. It wouldn't be so bad, but by the time they released the dlc characters the gameplay was pretty stale.

Actually, you've reminded me that Smash Bros had ludicrously over-priced DLC too. On the other end of the scale you have Splatoon constantly adding new weapons and levels years after release, for free. It's a very mixed bag from Nintendo.   

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Kelvin on February 14, 2017, 04:35:08 PM
Actually, you've reminded me that Smash Bros had ludicrously over-priced DLC too. On the other end of the scale you have Splatoon constantly adding new weapons and levels years after release, for free. It's a very mixed bag from Nintendo.   

Did Nintendo develop Splatoon or was that a third party with the keys to the kingdom?  Just, it might have been a contract thing as the full game seemed sparse to start with.

I can't decide about the Nintendo Switch. I'm 40 with a young child so don't get a great deal of time to play these days. However, I love the mad Japanese guys and want to support them. I still remember getting my NES at christmas years ago. My best friend got the SMB + Duck Hunt pack and, for some horrible horrible reason I got the Turtles Bundle.  Magical times - me and my mate mostly playing NES at his house. Anyway, rambling a bit.

Yeah Switch. Dunno. Got a Wii U. All my friends have xbones and keep asking me to join in with their online jazz.

I do like adventure rpgs and Zelda is best - but get it on Wii U and save £270.

Kelvin

Quote from: Johnny Textface on February 14, 2017, 07:13:20 PM
Did Nintendo develop Splatoon or was that a third party with the keys to the kingdom?  Just, it might have been a contract thing as the full game seemed sparse to start with.

It was developed by Nintendo, and they obviously had to release the initial stuff free, as the game was very sparse at launch. I was just surprised that they were still offering free levels and weapons in the last year of Wii U.

Bazooka

Quote from: Johnny Textface on February 14, 2017, 07:13:20 PM

I can't decide about the Nintendo Switch. I'm 40 with a young child so don't get a great deal of time to play these days. However, I love the mad Japanese guys and want to support them. I still remember getting my NES at christmas years ago. My best friend got the SMB + Duck Hunt pack and, for some horrible horrible reason I got the Turtles Bundle.  Magical times - me and my mate mostly playing NES at his house. Anyway, rambling a bit.

Yeah Switch. Dunno. Got a Wii U. All my friends have xbones and keep asking me to join in with their online jazz.

I do like adventure rpgs and Zelda is best - but get it on Wii U and save £270.

Yeah I'm thinking the same. I never had the time or money to get a Wii U and have missed out on many great games. I will never have the time or money to buy and play a switch. No joke I have probably 30 or so games yet to complete on the 3DS.

Bhazor

Watched some gameplay footage today and I realised what the gameplay most reminds me of. Not Elder Scrolls but MGSV. The same high speed freedom of movement with super fast empowering controls, the new emphasis on stealth, both games designed to allow lateral thinking to complete dungeons/missions.

But the combat though reminds me of Condemned Criminal Origins. The same super brittle weapons leading to a frantic scramble to grab a weapon any weapon.

Kelvin

Previews are out for this game today, with journalists able to show off the first five hours they played.

The game really does look amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojsc6dg1sjE 

Shay Chaise

It's getting seriously positive feedback. I can't quite believe it's this good.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on February 24, 2017, 04:55:21 PM
It's getting seriously positive feedback. I can't quite believe it's this good.

Yeah, I'm trying to keep my expectation realistic, but multiple reviewers are saying that based on their playtime so far, its potentially the best Zelda game to date. It also sounds impossibly large. One guy said you can spend hours just roaming around one town - and there are multiple towns.

Bazooka

Quote from: Kelvin on February 24, 2017, 04:44:47 PM
Previews are out for this game today, with journalists able to show off the first five hours they played.

The game really does look amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojsc6dg1sjE

The enemies have hit points/life bars? When did that happen?

Kelvin

Quote from: Bazooka on February 24, 2017, 05:05:59 PM
The enemies have hit points/life bars? When did that happen?

i don't think they do at the start. From what I've heard, you can get an item which shows their lifebars at some point. Maybe you can toggle it on and off at that point?

edit: actually, I think lifebars appear when you get into a fight with enemies, even at the start.

brat-sampson

I'm reading lots about it being much harder, in the sense of giving the player the freedom to make very stupid/deadly mistakes. This is a Zelda that's happy for you to learn for yourself that you probably shouldn't go through the Skeleton Graveyard off the bat. Also Polygon saying the guy considered replaying the opening hours to take more notes. The opening hours of a Zelda game were pleasurable, as opposed to being an endurance test of text-prompts.

This is unbearable.

Bhazor

Just discovered it has Dark Souls parrying. This fucking game.

Mango Chimes

Some of this looks great. Some of it is "Link will shivver and lose life if he goes into the snow because it is cold" which is exactly the sort of tedious real world shit I don't want in games.

Also: what's the restart process from one of those many easy deaths?

Shay Chaise

I've largely stayed away from footage because I don't want anything ruined but I'm just watching the GameXplain video and the details they're sharing about general aspects of the game sound ridiculous. It sounds overwhelming. It also looks absolutely massive, I can't quite believe it.

brat-sampson

Restart is you don't lose too much progress, there's no death drop/retrieval mechanics etc, you can either have another go or fuck it off and go somewhere else.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on February 24, 2017, 05:40:06 PM
Some of this looks great. Some of it is "Link will shivver and lose life if he goes into the snow because it is cold" which is exactly the sort of tedious real world shit I don't want in games.

You just wear clothes that let you enter those areas without dying, though. It's not actually any different from wearing the red tunic in OoT in order to enter hot areas. 

amnesiac

when does the embargo end? I wanna see some hot steamy gameplay!

Kelvin

Quote from: amnesiac on February 24, 2017, 06:56:53 PM
when does the embargo end? I wanna see some hot steamy gameplay!

The preview embargo ends today, so you can see lots of new footage from the first five hours. I posted one of the better ones above.

The review embargo ends on March 2nd apparently. Not sure what the rules are around streaming the game, but I imagine they can't as the embargo is extremely strict about what they can show off. 

brat-sampson

Yeah, Nintendo are playing this thing like a maestro. Limits on when you can show the box, when you can show the Unboxing/UI and lists of what you ca/can't do, i.e. no games, now there's Zelda but only certain things you can talk about and lots of banned specifics etc. And it's working. I'm getting antsy and last month I was sure just getting BotW on Wii-U or even just picking up Nier instead for now would be a fantastic alternative, but right now I really kinda want to blow too much money on a Switch/Zelda for my longer commutes and home leisure.

Shay Chaise

Ah, it doesn't come out til the 2nd, in any case. I got excited then. Nevertheless, 10/10.

Bhazor

But they did give fucking Last of Us and Little Big Planet 10/10