Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:31:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Started by Kelvin, February 14, 2017, 03:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

My link is shirtless and rides a brown horse.

He's like a twink version of Vladimir:

Old Nehamkin

Moribunderast

I've never played a Zelda game in my life but I think this new one looks ace but no way am I buying a Switch or Wii U for just one game so instead I have procured a copy of Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker and I am going to play that and pretend it's the new one that everyone else is enjoying and then I won't feel left out.

Thursday

Just did a sidequest (well it's defined as a shrine quest) that was so good I worried I'd stumbled into something that was part of the main story. I wasn't even well equipped for it, because the frost resistant clothing wasn't enough, so I was relying on food, which added this timed aspect to the quest. I sort of wish I wasn't rushing through it, but it kind of made it all the cooler for succeeding since I was also low on another resource I needed to complete it as well, which also added to the tension.

Kelvin

Amazed by how far this game has come since the last one. Visiting a town is bewildering. Every character in this huge city is unique, and has a daily routine that changes not just depending on the time, but also the weather! Different dialogue, backstory and sidequests open up depending on the time you speak to them - and they move from place to place, visiting people, doing chores, sleeping, always changing. This is everything I loved about Majora's Mask, but potential done better. It even has Majora's pervading sense of doom and melancholy, combined with Windwaker's gorgeous visuals. It's like my ultimate Zelda.

Quote from: Thursday on March 04, 2017, 10:57:01 PM
Just did a sidequest (well it's defined as a shrine quest) that was so good I worried I'd stumbled into something that was part of the main story. I wasn't even well equipped for it, because the frost resistant clothing wasn't enough, so I was relying on food, which added this timed aspect to the quest. I sort of wish I wasn't rushing through it, but it kind of made it all the cooler for succeeding since I was also low on another resource I needed to complete it as well, which also added to the tension.

The shrine quests I've done have actually been better than the 3 proper sidequests I've completed, although at least one of those sidequests gave me something very worthwhile as a reward. In fact, without giving away details, I very strongly recommend that when you meet a big korok, you do what he asks. 

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Have you guys got
Spoiler alert
map(s)
[close]
of the
Spoiler alert
non plateau
[close]
area? I've been off the plateau for hours and am finding it frustrating to not have a
Spoiler alert
map
[close]
. Where do you get it from?

Pretty sure spoiler tags were unnecessary for that question but I thought I'd join in the fun.

Shay Chaise

I can't get over how beautiful this is. It looks like a Studio Ghibli film. It also shows how artistic direction matters so much more than technical heft. Every sunrise and sunset is worth taking a screenshot.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on March 05, 2017, 08:06:46 AM
Have you guys got
Spoiler alert
map(s)
[close]
of the
Spoiler alert
non plateau
[close]
area? I've been off the plateau for hours and am finding it frustrating to not have a
Spoiler alert
map
[close]

How did you get the
Spoiler alert
map
[close]
for the Plateau? Look out for those. They're usually
Spoiler alert
incredibly
[close]
easy to spot,
Spoiler alert
like, from miles away...
[close]

Shay Chaise

Just realised that even the collect-em-up non-necessary element of this game is skilfully and very helpfully handled. Slick isn't the word, it's just extremely well judged and handcrafted.

amnesiac

Quote from: Shay Chaise on March 05, 2017, 08:06:58 AM
I can't get over how beautiful this is. It looks like a Studio Ghibli film. It also shows how artistic direction matters so much more than technical heft. Every sunrise and sunset is worth taking a screenshot.

So true, I keep finding myself wondering how good the graphics are, like in a polygon sense, then go back to marveling at my horse's mane and the way it changes in the light. I mean the only time I've noticed 'graphics' is when I've climbed a tree and the camera zooms in and the leaves look flat. Other than that it's such a feeling of being in this plush organic world there's so much 'roundness'?!

brat-sampson

Being able to climb everything is total genius as it removes that common open world activity of jumping repeatedly and running into rocks at weird angles in an attempt to get over mountains to the damn waypoint.

wasp_f15ting

This game is overwhelmingly beautiful...

Even though its sub-par graphically it transports me away like no other game.

Love you nintendo.

Kelvin

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on March 05, 2017, 08:06:46 AM
Have you guys got
Spoiler alert
map(s)
[close]
of the
Spoiler alert
non plateau
[close]
Spoiler alert
map
[close]

Pretty sure Spoiler tags were unnecessary for that question but I thought I'd join in the fun.

You get maps for each region by
Spoiler alert
climbing the huge tower in it. ie. the ones that look like the tower you activated at the very start of the game and which activated all the shrines.
[close]

I love that different weapons have different advantages: sledgehammers can
Spoiler alert
break crystallized rocks in one hit
[close]
, axes are good for chopping down trees, long weapons
Spoiler alert
are great for horse combat
[close]
. Also, I won't give it away, but there's an absolutely brilliant way to use the ice platform rune that never occurred to me until I visited a shrine.

Kelvin

Horse riding confused me, I have to admit. I'm so used to riding a horse in Zelda by pointing with the control stick, and I couldn't understand why it didn't seem to be turning properly. Turns out, you have to let go of the control stick and let the horse move automatically, then simply adjust its direction when needed. Once trained, it even
Spoiler alert
follows the roads if you leave it!
[close]

Thursday

Quotebut there's an absolutely brilliant way to use the ice platform rune that never occurred to me until I visited a shrine.

Is it
Spoiler alert
sticking them on the edge of waterfalls to make horizontal platforms? I've not tried that outside of a shrine yet.
[close]

I think ETT might talking about some bits on the edge of the map, as I'm on a very mountainy that doesn't seem to have anywhere that could unlock it as far as I can tell.

I'm really liking the story in this where Link completely sacks off Zelda and Gannon to just enjoy a holiday of mountaineering, paragliding and making kebabs. Thank goodness he was woken up after all these years.

No i really was just being stupid. Thanks guys!

Noticing a bit of a
Spoiler alert
Greek myth
[close]
theme on my current adventure.

Actually, that's probably not new to this Zelda, it's just the graphics have never been good enough for me to notice before.

Thursday

I think ETT might talking about some bits on the edge of the map, as I'm on a very mountainy that doesn't seem to have anywhere that could unlock it as far as I can tell.

I found this anyway

Thursday

This is a very mild spoiler, but it might be worth some of you doing a bit of the main quest. As you get a function for the Sheikah slate that you'll probably want while you're about exploring. It's a
Spoiler alert
Camera. I think it's essentially photo mode, but I'm also guessing it'll tie into the memories tab on the adventure log
[close]

Shay Chaise

That's what I was referring to with the collect-em-up elements. Also really well integrated into another key system for quality of life. It really helped me with the Cucco gent.

I've certainly not faced off against any proper big bosses but I was delighted to stumble upon a really big sod and took him down. Again, they're showing their quality when I thought I'd figured him out and then he reacted to my tactics, making the last portion of the fight really tense! You'll know what I mean if you've fought such an enemy.

Kelvin

Yeah, I just got that, too, Thursday.

Also got my first memory back. I know the game and story can clearly stand by itself, but I've been surprised by several direct references to skyward sword in the main quest so far. 

Shay Chaise

Just one more but how fucking cool are the clothes? They're really really beautiful. My Link's hairdo is so cool, and feminine, and Japanese, and gorgeous. I love it.

I spent about five hours today just romping across the map. I visited three sections in that time. I only realised today quite how big it actually is. Phenomenal.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on March 05, 2017, 05:37:04 PM
That's what I was referring to with the collect-em-up elements. Also really well integrated into another key system for quality of life. It really helped me with the Cucco gent.

Oh, god that would have been so useful for that! I spent ages looking for them.

Now, that I'm past that point in the game, I'm kind of having choice paralysis. Countless unexplored regions to choose from, the main quest has branched. It's hard knowing where to go next. I reckon I'll just pick a direction and gallop.

Are you guys choosing health or stamina to increase?

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on March 05, 2017, 05:37:04 PM
I've certainly not faced off against any proper big bosses but I was delighted to stumble upon a really big sod and took him down. Again, they're showing their quality when I thought I'd figured him out and then he reacted to my tactics, making the last portion of the fight really tense! You'll know what I mean if you've fought such an enemy.

Sorry, but humble octorocks are the hardest enemy in this game. Absolute cunts the lot of them.

brat-sampson

I don't know how much time I've put in, but I'd like to. Just been wandering aimlessly, loosely following the main plot to where it wants you to go and so also just unlocked the last rune. Found a few Koroks, did some climbing that was a bit fruitless, and some more that netted me a shrine or secret. There really are a lot of systems going on here, and I feel like I'm struggling to get my bearings sometimes. Plus, sorry horses, but sometimes I need to run off and check something out and next thing I know I'm like 5 miles away and you're gone forever. The degree to which I feel like I'm only barely scratching the surface of this world even now feels like Witcher 3 almost. I mean, I did a Shrine that told me some more about combat and I'm wondering if that was unlocked there or if I could've been doing that shit *all along* and hence what else am I not doing? Next thing you know there's hair cuts and dyes and set bonuses, fucking set bonuses!

Boosted health so far, but only once. Then found
Spoiler alert
something that lets you swap your additions between the two, for a small cost...
[close]

Thursday

I seem to have come across quite a lot of what I'll term "dark souls" bosses throughout the game now they're really fun. Also did a combat trial shrine (moderate challenge) which was incredibly satisfying since the mechanical bastard could often one-shot me.

I think I might try and find a couple more memories next, and then head for one of the main divine beasts things - but not to actually go to the dungeon, just because it'll put a dot on the map and then I can explore and take the diversions along the way.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Kelvin on March 05, 2017, 05:49:24 PM
Oh, god that would have been so useful for that! I spent ages looking for them.

Now, that I'm past that point in the game, I'm kind of having choice paralysis. Countless unexplored regions to choose from, the main quest has branched. It's hard knowing where to go next. I reckon I'll just pick a direction and gallop.

Are you guys choosing health or stamina to increase?

I've upgraded stamina three times, no health yet. I think I'll keep pushing on with it, actually. I don't care too much for extra health but I want to be as free as possible to explore as far as possible. I also came across an item that helps with climbing a little bit too, so I'm feeling like Spiderman out there and loving it.

Completely unacceptable comment but after I found a Great Fairy, I had a wank in the bath. Just so sexy.

Thursday

I wouldn't only do your stamina because you can temporarily increase it with certain meal and elixirs or even just drink up mid-climb.

Thursday

Quote from: Shay Chaise on March 05, 2017, 06:28:40 PM
I've upgraded stamina three times, no health yet. I think I'll keep pushing on with it, actually. I don't care too much for extra health but I want to be as free as possible to explore as far as possible. I also came across an item that helps with climbing a little bit too, so I'm feeling like Spiderman out there and loving it.

Completely unacceptable comment but after I found a Great Fairy, I had a wank in the bath. Just so sexy.

I've been wanting to make bad homophobic jokes about Kelvin and great fairies.

The spoken bits of dialogue are really bad though aren't they? Missed emphasis on sentences all over the place. You'd think even if the director didn't get it the voice actors would - but no.

Super fantastic otherwise though. Have mainly been following the main quest, and got halfway through doing one of the "big beasts" before deciding to bugger off and get more supplies.

Have come across two particular monsters that I ended up just running away from. One of them I must have spent an hour trying to kill. If this game is for kids, they must be making kids differently nowadays....

brat-sampson

Current speedrun record for this is already like 1hr25m. They weren't kidding when they said you can go straight for the final boss.