Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:02:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Started by Kelvin, February 14, 2017, 03:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

And both of them deserved that score at the time.

Kelvin

That Edge review really does make it sound special:

QuoteThe result, for all the longevity of its series and the familiarity of the open-world genre, is a game that evokes feelings we haven't known for 20 years. Not since Ocarina of Time have we set foot in a world that seems so mind-bogglingly vast, that feels so unerringly magical, that proves so relentlessly intriguing. Plenty of games promise to let us go anywhere and do anything; few, if any, ever deliver on it so irresistibly. Nineteen years on, Ocarina is still held up as the high-water mark of one of gaming's best-loved -- and greatest -- series. Now it may have to settle for second place. 10

Plus, here's some awesome footage of Link shield surfing and doing some other cool stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtNvDfjEbQw

Shay Chaise

I almost welled up reading the conclusion to that review. I cannot wait for this game. I am so gutted my mate is coming to stay next weekend. I really am.

Bhazor

Just remembered when I watched the Switch Direct trailer for BOTW it made me cry  and I honestly can't explain why. But that quick cut of an exhausted Link pushing himself to his feet made me let out a genuine sob. Why? I have no real love for the series (Mystical Ninja was basically my Zelda Ocarina of Time), the rest of the character stuff looks fairly dopey [nb]I mean theres a guy whose a shark and he has a shark for a head and he's wearing fucking shoulderpads. Crying Zelda is fairly horny though[/nb] and the fan service Deku tree shot did nothing for me. I think I'm just broken.

Thursday

What I see evokes the same feeling I'd get as a child as looking at the really good cover art for a novel or game that just looked incredibly fascinating, but you never got it and just imagined what it would be.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bhazor on February 26, 2017, 10:32:29 AM
But that quick cut of an exhausted Link pushing himself to his feet made me let out a genuine sob.

I get chills every time I see that shot. It's probably my favourite moment in the trailer.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Thursday on February 26, 2017, 10:46:19 AM
What I see evokes the same feeling I'd get as a child as looking at the really good cover art for a novel or game that just looked incredibly fascinating, but you never got it and just imagined what it would be.

I totally know what you mean. It seems like there's such freedom to it and my imagination is running wild with the possibilities, which are never fulfilled. And yet, all the previews are saying they don't know exactly how they've done it, but it's somehow captured that sense of limitless possibility and freedom and creativity.

The only criticisms I've read are of inventory management and equipment degradation being a thing. I honestly thought it'd be outdated and a bit shit, I really did. After The Witcher 3 and with stuff like Horizon doing something in a similar vein with much much more muscle, I thought they might have just missed the window, kind of like The Last Guardian, but everything I've read is saying it's astonishing.

Bhazor

I've avoided most hands on preview footage but it does sound like the most reactive open world ever. To me it sounds like another evolution of the open world formula in the way MGSV was. In that it lets you take the same out of the box lateral thinking except instead of completing missions its clearing dungeons.

I'm not worried about weapon degradation as it seems to be a very deliberate central pillar of the game when in The Witcher and so on its just a tedious little niggle. Again it reminds me of Condemned where its like a bar room brawl just grabbing whatever is at hand and fighting enemies for their weapons. I also really like the idea of weapons doing double damage when they break or weapons that might transform when they break. But there was a moment in the Nintendo treehouse preview where the player is just trying to pick up a severed arm but she has to drop a weapon to do it and it lands on top of the arm so she picks that up instead and has to go through the menu to dump a junk weapon and by then the arm had crawled off and they had to start all over so yeah inventory management looks like it'll be a problem.

Kelvin

The main quest is about 20 hours, according to Edge's review. Much shorter than most Zelda games, although I'm very happy about that, as Windwaker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword all had far too much filler in my opinion.

Edit: scans of the full Edge review are available on reddit, but it contains several pretty big spoilers about the game's structure and plot.

brat-sampson

Yeah, saying you can rush the main quest in that time doesn't mean a huge amount though when they also spend so long talking about how much there is to be sidetracked by and what constant fun it is to do so. Plus considering it's been made known that you can
Spoiler alert
jog over and clap CG in the face from the moment you get off the Great Plateau
[close]
I think any estimations of game length here are kind of a crap-shoot.

amnesiac

I'm so so happy this is being spoken of in the same breath as Ocarina because that was some of the best gaming I've ever known. It was before I had kids (can someone check the date) and I spent absolutely hours on it and got stuck on a bit where you have to go through a tunnel of water (can someone check what I'm on about) and I'd play my fuckin Ocarina just for the fun of it. So many memories. I loved that bloody game /Smashy from Smashy and Nicey voice.

greenman

Quote from: Kelvin on February 27, 2017, 12:19:30 AM
The main quest is about 20 hours, according to Edge's review. Much shorter than most Zelda games, although I'm very happy about that, as Windwaker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword all had far too much filler in my opinion.

Edit: scans of the full Edge review are available on reddit, but it contains several pretty big spoilers about the game's structure and plot.

One advantage of going much more open world seems to be that travel is actually quicker, the previous 3D games often had methods of speeding travel around the over world up but you were still stuck trailing around the dungeons for hours mostly on foot.

I'm guessing more of a Mario like influence were finishing isn't that difficult but a lot longer is spent finding everything.

Shay Chaise

The elephant in the room is that this has leaked for the Wii U. I've bought a load of games from the eShop and VC and I've never used any homebrew or anything on the Wii U so I'm loath to experiment, lest I fuck up my whole account and get my NNID banned and lose any potential transfer or online action, etc.

That said...

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on February 28, 2017, 09:18:26 PM
SHIT ON A FOCKIN BASTARD IT WORKS

Do you really want to play the game for a few days on that console, then potentially kill your enthusiasm when you have to start all over again and replay the opening hours in a couple of days?

Shay Chaise

I know, I know... just curious about whether I could get it to work or not!

I'm going to wait for the Switch.

Twed

I don't think you of all people want to make Nintendo cry, Shay.

Bhazor

Just imagine if BotW turned out to be shit.

ziggy starbucks

well I've just hear a youtuber[nb]the completionist[/nb] compare it to dark souls, so I think Shay will like it

Shay Chaise

Guys, turns out it is shit, soz!

I've also no idea how I'm going to get to sleep now.

Shay Chaise

No spoilers: Going back to what one preview said about actually wanting to replay the opening couple of hours to get some different footage, I get it.

I've been replaying Twilight Princess recently and I've done more and got more tools in one hour of BotW than in the first ten hours of that game, if not more. I can also tell already how versatile these tools are going to be. I will have no issue at all replaying this opening on Friday for Switch and far from ruining the excitement, it just makes me incredibly hyped for being able to play this game on the go.

My overall impressions are that it already feels very well balanced. It's open, but neither overburdened with markers, nor very barren. There's time and space to explore a bit but you will run into these little clusters of things to do, and each situation is a bit of a puzzle in itself. You can try stealth but it's quite challenging. You can rushdown, but you're going to have to be methodical with your targets. Or you can do something more environmentally aware.

I was absolutely delighted with an early encounter which made me feel quite clever, but a little more exploration afterwards made me realise there was actually an even better way to approach it, so I'll keep that in mind and I'm looking forward to finding an opportunity to use that knowledge.

I'd also say that the physics based stuff is great and really brings the world to life. I thought that as badly designed as most puzzles were in The Last Guardian, the physics added some realistic opportunity for experimentation and a sense of reality. This goes well beyond, in the first hour.

OK, that's spoiler free but I am well impressed. It feels balanced and confident and full of things to discover.

Shay Chaise

I can't wait for the reviews tomorrow, this is an absolutely fucking brilliant game. People are going to go apeshit.

Bhazor

hayduke_lives

Kelvin

Ign - 10
gamespot - 10
polygon - 10
gameinformer - 10
giantbomb - 10
gamesradar - 10
Edge - 10

I know scores are dumb. I know that. I just don't care when it's getting me this excited.

brat-sampson

Yup, we're done here. A fucking 97 on Opencritic atm, basically nothing under a nine from *anywhere*. Pack up the GOTYs, pack up everything, it's over.

Finito.

Pdine

I never asked for Elder Scrolls 6: Grand Theft Hyrule so they can all go fuck themselves.

Shaky

Oh shit, I may have to covet a Switch for this. Everytime I think I'm out, done, kaput, little cunt Link sucks me back in.

"Kids - go to hell immediately. Daddy's busy."

madhair60

It seems they've finally made a 3D Zelda I may actually like.