Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Started by Kelvin, February 14, 2017, 03:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

I'm shit at Zelda, can't be fucked with the puzzles, too stupid to get through one without game guides telling me what to do, and yet I've adored this, spent weeks exploring the world and discovering things and testing the limits. Dunno if that reflects well or poorly on the game.

Just need to fight Ganon now. Swung by Karikaro Village and destroyed that woman's plum trees. Feel like a right bastard now. Maybe I was the villain all along and I must let Ganon destroy me.

Mister Six

Where do I get the right clothes to go in the desert and up the cold mountain? I just want to fuck about and explore without having to make a load of potions. I have the first clothing upgrade that protects you a bit from the cold.

Twed

It always amazes me when somebody tells me that the DESERT or HOT VOLCANO divine beasts were their first. What? Do the elephant one you psychos.

Haven't played this in a year. Never got around to defeating Ganon. Should.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Mister Six on July 17, 2018, 05:50:27 PM
Where do I get the right clothes to go in the desert and up the cold mountain? I just want to fuck about and explore without having to make a load of potions. I have the first clothing upgrade that protects you a bit from the cold.

Find the auld lad's house and have a chat with him in the evening.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 17, 2018, 07:49:52 PM
Find the auld lad's house and have a chat with him in the evening.

Old lad? I genuinely don't remember who that is? Near gerudo?

I know you can buy warm clothes in the most North West town, and if you can get into gerudo city, there's also a quick subquest that results in the jeweller offering you either hot or cold resistant ear-rings for free.

Only other thing that might work is carring a flame weapon on your back, as that allows you to walk in cold areas, but I don't know if it offers the degree of cold resistance you need. I suspect it will.

Twed

Also food makes you a hotcold not be-er if you food it right.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Mister Six on July 17, 2018, 05:50:27 PM

Quote from: Kelvin on July 18, 2018, 05:08:51 AM
Old lad? I genuinely don't remember who that is? Near gerudo?

I know you can buy warm clothes in the most North West town, and if you can get into gerudo city, there's also a quick subquest that results in the jeweller offering you either hot or cold resistant ear-rings for free.

Only other thing that might work is carring a flame weapon on your back, as that allows you to walk in cold areas, but I don't know if it offers the degree of cold resistance you need. I suspect it will.

Misread Mister Six's post, thought he was still on the Plateau.

If you didn't get the cold clothing on the Plateau it's in the old lad's house in a chest if you go back. Otherwise, Kelvin has pretty much nailed it. Also, if you complete the town building quest, there's a merchant there who sells all the clothing in the game, I'm pretty sure.

Mister Six

So it's best to get the warm clothing from the store and the earring that stops me from overheating elsewhere?

There's so so many ways to adjust your temperature, there's no one answer which you need to follow. You're best off playing with the systems, really. Both clothing, food and weapons all affect your temp.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Mister Six on July 18, 2018, 10:14:00 PM
So it's best to get the warm clothing from the store and the earring that stops me from overheating elsewhere?

The clothing is better, might be cheaper, but the jewelry is a useful stopgap. Fairly certain some of it can be found in chests too, but i'm not sure if that's the temperature stuff.

Each town has a store with unique clothes, Gerudo has several if i recall correctly.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mister Six on July 18, 2018, 10:14:00 PM

There are earrings to protect against cold, too. Are you actually in gerudo town yet? If so, the jeweller is on the right as you enter via the main, front entrance. She's stood outside, and has a subquest for you, I think. Just needs some flint or something, I don't exactly remember.

The reward is a free set of either cold or hot resistant earrings, your choice. After that, a range of jewellery, also with properties, can be purchased from her shop.

Kelvin

The best way to protect against cold is definitely the clothes you buy in the North West of the map, though.

And if you want an easy, reappearing fire sword, visit the colisseum near the great plateau.

Kelvin

Sorry, one final piece of advice. If you open up your clothing screen, you might not have noticed that there are notches indicating how much resistence a piece of clothing offers. Try combining different clothing, until both notches are filled. This will confrm whether you will be protected in the coldest regions without needing to trek there. One notch obviously means you only have moderate protection.

Hope it helps.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Kelvin on July 19, 2018, 08:14:59 AM
The best way to protect against cold is definitely the clothes you buy in the North West of the map, though.

And if you want an easy, reappearing fire sword, visit the colisseum near the great plateau.

There's also a respawning one in the docks of the Castle and the giant tree stump on Hyrule Field.

Ice swords are less easy to find, there's one near the library in the castle and there's a bokoblin in a fort in the north west who always carries one but the coliseum is probably the easiest bet.

Actually, I don't think the elemental swords show up in the coliseum til you've beaten all of the divine beasts. Might be wrong though.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 19, 2018, 04:52:53 PM
Actually, I don't think the elemental swords show up in the coliseum til you've beaten all of the divine beasts. Might be wrong though.

Oh, bollocks, you're right. I'd forgotten that.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Kelvin on July 19, 2018, 04:54:24 PM
Oh, bollocks, you're right. I'd forgotten that.

Now that I think about it, there's always one there, but he'll have to beat a very nasty mini boss to get it.

Kelvin

Did anyone play through Master Mode in this game? After watching my niece play though the game recently, I've remembered how much I adore it, and decided to dive back in for my fourth playthrough.

Died on the first enemy.

It's quite considerably tougher than I expected; enemies regenerate heath very quickly, so need to be fought aggressively. There's also much more incentive to use environmental traps and items like bombs, in order to avoid direct conflict.

It really changes how you play, at least in the early game. Combat now encourages the use of your best weapons and magical arrows, over hoarding them and using weaker stuff, because weaker weapons are less likely to kill a regenerating enemy. It's also much more important to pick your battles, and plan your tactics beforehand.

In other words, if takes all the elements that were fun, helpful, but inessential in the main game (like stealth, weather, weapon choice, and enviromental attacks), and makes them much, much more important. I'm not sure if it will feature the same drop off in difficulty that the main game had once I got more powerful, but I can definitely see it providing a much higher difficulty for longer.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Kelvin on August 31, 2018, 03:35:03 PM
Did anyone play through Master Mode in this game? After watching my niece play though the game recently, I've remembered how much I adore it, and decided to dive back in for my fourth playthrough.

Died on the first enemy.

It's quite considerably tougher than I expected; enemies regenerate heath very quickly, so need to be fought aggressively. There's also much more incentive to use environmental traps and items like bombs, in order to avoid direct conflict.

It really changes how you play, at least in the early game. Combat now encourages the use of your best weapons and magical arrows, over hoarding them and using weaker stuff, because weaker weapons are less likely to kill a regenerating enemy. It's also much more important to pick your battles, and plan your tactics beforehand.

In other words, if takes all the elements that were fun, helpful, but inessential in the main game (like stealth, weather, weapon choice, and enviromental attacks), and makes them much, much more important. I'm not sure if it will feature the same drop off in difficulty that the main game had once I got more powerful, but I can definitely see it providing a much higher difficulty for longer.

I immediately dove into it as soon as I got it, and had a very similar experience to yourself. Got killed a lot til i started using stealth, first thing I did after getting off the plateau was to paraglide onto a horse and tame it just so I could explore without getting absolutely annihilated by stumbling into enemy camps. I also combined it with a no fast travel challenge, which I really recommend because this game is so fun to wander around in.

I don't think i got very far since I had played the ordinary mode to death, but I might take another run at it soon when I'm done with Skyrim.

Fry

I think my favourite part of this game is how it subtly encourages you to use and engage with all of its systems. Fighting in this game is fun, really fun, but you still sometimes find yourself doing everything you can to avoid an easy fight if you can. Take my first trip up to Zora's domain last night.  I think I am doing things slightly out of order, because although that Prince Sidon guy warned me that the road up to his palace is treacherous and I should be prepared to face a lot of monsters, truth is, on the way I never encountered anything I couldn't comfortably handle with the weapons, elixirs and armour I already had. Plain green lizalfos? Pffft, nothing to me with my 6 hearts, upgraded hylian armour and knight's sword.  In any other game I would just tank it straight through. Still though, why waste the durability on my weapons? The enemies don't drop anything I need, I'm not going to waste resources on this. So the tactic becomes stealth and avoidance.  I'm using the terrain, bombs and that stasis trick where you smack a boulder towards monsters, as well as few well placed arrows. Maybe I can scramble up to a high ledge and just glide across the river, missing a large part of the path, that's fine. It doesn't feel like cheating or cheesing it, it's a legitimate strategy. Ever attached a bomb to an octorok balloon thingy, sent it flying over a base, shot it with an arrow then exploded the fucks from miles away? So satisfying.

And when something fails, because of how tight and responsive the combat is, I don't feel the need to reload and try again as I would in Skyrim (Bethesda have a lot to live up to, after this. People say TES games are turning into action adventure games rather than RPGs. Well BOTW shows how you do it right). I fucked up, but I'll see it through and get my sword out, I'll get myself out of the situation, because it feels so good to do so.

It does feel like a proper adventure, doesn't it? A few hours before going up to Zora's pad I was making my way to the peak of Mount Lanaryu, now this was the opposite of the Zora situation. I have only two meals that gave warmth and just one good weapon (a flaming sword I'd found in a treasure hunt I was too scared to use until it's absolutely necessary). But I'd come so far without realising how out of my depth I was, I just decide I'm going to do it. This time stealth isn't an option, I have only 7 minutes to get to the top, no matter how hard the enemies are I'm just going to have to power through, so power through is what I do. I end up eating all my mid-level meals (mushroom skewers, simmering fruit dishes, useful but easily replaced stuff) to keep hearts up, rely on lucky bomb throws and boomerangs to keep the enemies at bay and everything in my inventory to keep my stamina up just so I can keep sprinting. I realise my flaming sword kills ice enemies in one hit, and keeps me warmer, so I have that out now. Swinging it wildly and spinning and sprinting and fucking clawing my eyes out as my heart races just trying to get those fuckers off my tail! I make I finally make it to the top, hoping for a fairy fountain (someone mentioned a magic spring in Hateno Village) and am confronted with a massive fucking dragon. He wants me to banish the darkness plaguing him or something. My heart drops, I know it's going to be a boss battle of some sort but I don't see a shrine anywhere, and there's no way I'm going back down to recharge. Not without anything to show for all I just went through. So I start the fight, I'm burning through absolutely everything useful in my inventory, using torches and fucking bomb arrows to keep me warm, eating all the incredibly valuable meals i'd been saving when my anti-freezing buffs fail and the cold starts to chip away at my health. I'm FLYING AROUND THE FUCKING MOUNTAIN ON MY GLIDER using updrafts to keep myself airborne, dropping down and firing off arrows. When I defeat it I feel like a fucking hero, like an actual fucking hero.

This game is outstanding and I love it.

Fry

For balance: Those shrine puzzles where you have to cackhandedly wiggle around the controller to make platforms spin and turn through motion control. Shite.

Lovely post, took me back for a few moments. Great to see you're enjoying this.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Fry on September 21, 2018, 03:14:19 AM
For balance: Those shrine puzzles where you have to cackhandedly wiggle around the controller to make platforms spin and turn through motion control. Shite.

Those are the fucking worst, but I think there's only two of them. Maybe three if you have the DLC. And you can game at least one of them if you think about it. Won't spoil it.

Ferris

I should really give this a fair go, shouldn't I. Right, maybe today.

Junglist

Been rocking this on CEMU on my new PC. 4K 60fps and its fucking beautiful. Here's Kakariko Village and its Shrine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i94HqCM4_I

Twed

Ooh, those short loading times must make for a much-improved experience.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on May 09, 2019, 01:01:29 AM
Ooh, those short loading times must make for a much-improved experience.

When they recently patched the Switch version for the addition of the new Labo VR mode, they also added an improvement to the game's load times, achieved via overclocking the console during load screens. Teleporting to a different location can now take half as long (nearly 15 seconds less in a Gamexplain test), and generally seems to be 20% to 50% faster overall.

Same for Mario Odyssey, I think.

Zetetic

Junglist, are you using your phone to do the tilty things?

CEMU is very good.

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on May 09, 2019, 01:25:45 AM
When they recently patched the Switch version for the addition of the new Labo VR mode, they also added an improvement to the game's load times, achieved via overclocking the console during load screens. Teleporting to a different location can now take half as long (nearly 15 seconds less in a Gamexplain test), and generally seems to be 20% to 50% faster overall.

Same for Mario Odyssey, I think.
Cool, didn't know about that!

Junglist

Quote from: Zetetic on May 09, 2019, 06:24:24 PM
Junglist, are you using your phone to do the tilty things?

CEMU is very good.

Its only needed for a few shrines so I've avoided the fafffing