Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:12:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Started by Kelvin, February 14, 2017, 03:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

It's like the least bombastic adventure I've ever played and every time you hear a little twinkle of piano you're like yaaaasss

Thursday

It's lovely.

I'm a bit hmmm on weapon durability though. Hopefully later on you find weapons that don't break apart after a few hits.

Here's a question, you know all the little parts and junk you pick up from enemies. Is that stuff that can be crafted at some point, or do you just sell it all?

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on March 03, 2017, 08:56:38 PM
It's lovely.

I'm a bit hmmm on weapon durability though. Hopefully later on you find weapons that don't break apart after a few hits.

You do, and you can also carry far more, according to reviews.

QuoteHere's a question, you know all the little parts and junk you pick up from enemies. Is that stuff that can be crafted at some point, or do you just sell it all?

I don't know if it can be used in crafting later, but I do know they can be used in cooking. Apparently monster parts act as catalysts when combining foot effects, although I don't know what varies between enemy parts or if there's more to it than that. Certainly in my limited attempts at cooking, the best, more powerful combos involved enemy parts.

Thursday

I've tried that and it lead to "dubious food" so I think it's only very specific things. And there's machine enemies as well, so there parts surely wouldn't lead to any good food.

Twed

Quote from: Thursday on March 03, 2017, 08:56:38 PM
That sounds magical to me. I love going from shit to great in games.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Thursday on March 04, 2017, 12:07:04 AM
I've tried that and it lead to "dubious food" so I think it's only very specific things. And there's machine enemies as well, so there parts surely wouldn't lead to any good food.

You need to use enemy parts with 'critters', as per the description. Have a play with it once you've caught something. I don't know whether the animal needs to be caught rather than killed but that's my experience.

Twed

Hello this game is amazing.

Who would have thought the latest Zelda game would be chill as fuck?

Shay Chaise

How the hell is it so packed with stuff worth doing and looking for?

Cranny as fuck all over the shop.

Shall I go dere? Oh yeah, worf it. Climb dat? Worf it.

Eat da? Worf.

Jump on da? Worf.

Frow da? Worf.

Thursday

Quote from: Twed on March 04, 2017, 12:14:55 AM
That sounds magical to me. I love going from shit to great in games.

I've warmed to it more now - means you play around with different weapon types more, rather than the thing that happens in Souls game where once you've started upgrading a weapon it becomes wasteful and time-consuming to use anything else.

It does a very good of job of hinting at how you can learn things for yourself rather than giving you lots of tutorials.

Thursday

Quote from: Shay Chaise on March 04, 2017, 05:38:57 AM
You need to use enemy parts with 'critters', as per the description. Have a play with it once you've caught something. I don't know whether the animal needs to be caught rather than killed but that's my experience.

Again though, I think that's only specific parts, as there's some that don't specify their use. Also I'm also not 100% sure what "Critters" are in this game's context.

Shay Chaise

I'm not trying to be obtuse but I don't want to spoil info that I enjoyed learning for myself. My experience with cooking is that there will be lots more materials to replace anything which doesn't turn out to be a stellar dish. As you said about the weapons, one thing I'm really loving about this game is the sheer abundance and utility of items and weapons and stuff. We're so conditioned to hoarding crap in games whereas in this you use things and replace them.

You'll know when you find a critter, because you won't necessarily have to kill it, just pick it up. Very very minor spoiler about what I mean by critters:

Spoiler alert
frogs and squirrels, etc.
[close]

brat-sampson

I'm still in the opening zone, about to gain access out. I must've put 3-4 hrs in though just exploring, doing all the things, taking out bases etc. It's insane. They've made an open-world Far Cry meets Portal meets Zelda and it's fucking *delicious*.

Kelvin

I'm just about to leave the plateau, too. Also loving it - especially the way you constantly discover new ways of interacting with the world. I've actually had the opposite problem that Thursday had. I never worry about running out of weapons, but for a while, I was constantly - like every couple of minutes - having to dump things from my inventory to make room for something better. After about 20 minutes of genuinely getting quite annoyed with it, I started dumping the worst two items in every category, so I always had two free spaces, then only picked up new weapons when one broke or if the new item was genuinely worth it. That's pretty much solved the issue - although it should definitely have come with a "dump weakest item" option.

Did anyone else find the shirt that keeps you from getting cold in the Great Plateau's mountain regions? I won't give away it's location, but I found it in two places; one involving a very simple "sidequest" (although the game doesn't actually consider it one), and the other by exploring something hard to reach.

Shay Chaise

I did, yep, with the second option. I saw something which suggested that the first was a possibility but only realised in hindsight that there might have been another way. Swagged out.

Bhazor

brat-sampson

I did the 'sidequest'. Now intrigued about where I didn't go though... Left the plateau, ran to a nearby tower. I don't think I've ever been this intimidated by the sheer size and density of a game world. The fact I can play this on the bus is almost incomprehensible.

Kelvin

Quote from: brat-sampson on March 04, 2017, 11:50:27 AM
I did the 'sidequest'. Now intrigued about where I didn't go though...

I guess I can post it behind spoilers, so that people can choose to look.

One location of the warm shirt:
Spoiler alert
The old man gives it to you if you find him at the top of the highest mountain in the snowy regions of the great plateau. You'll need an elixir to keep you warm until you find him, though.
[close]

brat-sampson

Ohhh, ok.
Spoiler alert
I did the recipe quest first so when I got to the top he was there (which was hilarious) but was just like, hey, good job. Good spot for looking for shrines,
huh? Etc. I guess it makes sense not to give you two.
[close]

Thursday

Quote from: brat-sampson on March 04, 2017, 11:50:27 AM
I did the 'sidequest'. Now intrigued about where I didn't go though... Left the plateau, ran to a nearby tower. I don't think I've ever been this intimidated by the sheer size and density of a game world. The fact I can play this on the bus is almost incomprehensible.

I know it's stupid in an age where I usually play things digitally, but I looked at the size of the cartridge and thought "how can it fit all that on there!"

Kelvin

Been playing it for hours off the Plateau, and still not gone near any main quest stuff. Just been checking out the region I'm in, doing Korok puzzles, meeting travelers, completing shrines and taking out enemy encampments.

One useful tip for people who, like me, had problems with the inventory being full. Rather than opening it up, just physically throw the weapon you're holding away, or change to one you don't want and throw that away instead. Much faster and easier than opening up the inventory each time.

Couple of exceptionally cool moments, but I'll keep them very vague:

1. After a couple of in-game days off the plateau, something happens at night which caused me to absolutely shit myself due to where I was standing.

2. It's well worth repeatedly failing a "shrine quest" involving flowers. 

Consignia

Yeah, I love it's all Sandbox-y, but still without removing it's Zelda feeling. Exapansive and loads to see and do. It's really good how it leaves the player to discover how to do things, rather than railroad them into single way of playing.

Quote from: Kelvin on March 04, 2017, 03:40:30 PM

1. After a couple of in-game days off the plateau, something happens at night which caused me to absolutely shit myself due to where I was standing.

If it's what I think it is, I've not seen it yet, but a villager has told me about it.

Kelvin

Anyone else noticed that the framerate is miles better once you leave the plateau? I was getting a bit worried about how bad it was near the start, but since leaving that initial region, it's barely been an issue.

Quote from: Consignia on March 04, 2017, 03:47:36 PM
It's really good how it leaves the player to discover how to do things, rather than railroad them into single way of playing.

It a full 180 on the hand-holding of recent 3d zelda games. I'm still finding out i have moves at my disposal i didn't know I had yet.

brat-sampson

Yeah, tbh I would've really appreciated an actual manual for the full controls. I mean,I had to Google how to shield slide, and then when you do, it adds it to a controls section, which is just backwards. That the game comes with no real manual at all, physical or digital, is a bit disappointing.

Johnny Textface

This is really superb. Particularly enjoying the sound of Link climbing. It sounds a bit like Michael Jackson.  The sound design is quite superb in this.

Superb.

Kelvin

Quote from: brat-sampson on March 04, 2017, 04:19:26 PM
Yeah, tbh I would've really appreciated an actual manual for the full controls. I mean,I had to Google how to shield slide, and then when you do, it adds it to a controls section, which is just backwards. That the game comes with no real manual at all, physical or digital, is a bit disappointing.

There are definitely a few minor interface things that would have been nice. A way to store recipes or instantly replicate them once you'd made them once, for example.

I suspect the reason they don't tell you about the shield slide etc, is because they want you to discover those moves through talking to people and discovering you have the ability, rather than by simply listing them all at the start. I agree it would have been nice to re-read every tip that's already popped up, though.

Kelvin

Quote from: Johnny Textface on March 04, 2017, 04:21:11 PM
This is really superb. Particularly enjoying the sound of Link climbing. It sounds a bit like Michael Jackson.  The sound design is quite superb in this.

Superb.

I was gonna post the same thing about the sound design. It really makes the most of every sound, in ways I've never noticed in louder, more bombastic games. I particularly like the visceral impact of your footsteps; the crunch of snow, the wet thud during rainfall. I've never noticed those sorts of details in a game before. I'me sure they're louder in the mix than in most games.   

amnesiac

Bought the DLC (amazon digital code) because you get 3 treasure chests now (but don't know where they are). Still running around taps aff because i don't know the recipe and can't find a shirt so it's spicy fish bass for the time being to keep me warm. On that note my Link is definitely not into sustainable fishing. Have played it exclusively in handheld mode so far, the dock is still in the box.

Kelvin

Quote from: amnesiac on March 04, 2017, 05:32:45 PM
Bought the DLC (amazon digital code) because you get 3 treasure chests now (but don't know where they are). Still running around taps aff because i don't know the recipe and can't find a shirt so it's spicy fish bass for the time being to keep me warm. On that note my Link is definitely not into sustainable fishing. Have played it exclusively in handheld mode so far, the dock is still in the box.

I didn't buy the DLC, but I saw Gamexplain had posted where to find the chests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3g6uRZK2i8

amnesiac

Quote from: Kelvin on March 04, 2017, 05:37:34 PM
I didn't buy the DLC, but I saw Gamexplain had posted where to find the chests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3g6uRZK2i8

nice! i only want the shirt

amnesiac

Got it whoooo! and as a result now familiar with screenshots and posting to twitter!

Spoiler alert

[close]