Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:26:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nirvanna The Band The Show

Started by Ron Superior, February 14, 2017, 06:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Terrible drawing!

Edit: Matt is very off, Bird is pretty good though

Ron Superior

And season 2 is on there in the correct running order!

AndyMcH

Other than the guy that recommended this show to me, I don't know anyone else who watches it. This must change.

NTBTS is my favourite current comedy show by a long way. Get to All4 and treat yourselves!

pcsjwgm

Just finished watching this. Absolutely incredible series. It's not just great fun to watch, but it also gets you thinking about what's real and what's not, and how the hell they achieved what they did. Anyone visiting this thread now who hasn't seen it must check it out - both the web series and the two seasons of the Viceland show.

By the way, Evan Morgan - who plays one of the guys who auditions for Jay in the Battle of the Bands episode of the web series - has directed a comedy-drama film called The Kid Detective, and Jay McCarrol composed the music for the film. Haven't seen it yet though (and I need to check out Matt Johnson's films as well).

Retinend

I was re-watching episode 1 the other day and I was also thinking about where the line between reality and fiction was. 

Specifically, I wondered if they actually burned the poster. The flames look way too real to be mere special effects, but how did they get permission to risk real fire damage? Also with Jay's penis in the picture - wasn't there the real risk of that getting the whole show canned by some Mrs. Lovejoy calling the police for public exposure?

dekko

Real flames, but greenscreened onto the location:

https://vimeo.com/232734973

Also - debatable whether the penis appears in any of the long shots.

Retinend

Merci beaucoup ! Did you work on the show or something, to have access to this sort of thing?

Ferris

Hopefully Barry doesn't mind me bumping this, but it's not really worth a full post of it's own and relevant to the wonderful NtBtS.

The show is (sort of!) getting a soft reboot as a children's cartoon - here's a sample:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nirvannatheband/comments/ps5fsq/jay_mccarrol_posted_this_sneak_peak_on_his_insta/

They've kept an impressive amount of feel from the original show in the dialogue from what I've seen - Matt talks about it a bit here - basically its them wanting to recreate kids' cartoons in a way that's fun and interesting (I think Pinky and the Brain is referenced extensively). He also reckons it has something to do with the Epic of Gilgamesh but come off it mate, its a bird and a monkey.

If anyone is doing audience research, my son loved it ("Monkey playin' a piano!")

The Mollusk

I'm really excited to watch this. Jay posted that clip on his Insta this week and it got me all worked up inside about how much I utterly adore these two. Bird saying "I'm vibing" got a big cutesy giggle out of me.

Is it out yet? Seems like one of those things that would be a hassle to find in the UK (unless it's super easy with a VPN and I'm just a simpleton). Lord knows NTBTS has gone through, and continues to go through, so much prohibitive red tape. I just really really want more Matt and Jay in my life.

madhair60

It's going to be on Prime in October at which point I think it will become widely available. I can't wait.

PlanktonSideburns

That looks totally delightful. Might have to have children now just so I can watch this with them

madhair60

The Bean has to be in contention for "best episode ever of anything".

pancreas

Ferris

Quote from: pancreas on September 22, 2021, 11:48:55 AM
Nah, it's all about the bank.

Only for the bizarre John Cena shouting.

Giving NtBtS a watch now, never having heard of it before. I'm really enjoying it, the Sundance episode in particular. Thanks CaB.

No joke here but I did find it a bit funny that within the first three episodes they've gone to a Sears and poked around Honest Ed's; I wonder how the Rivoli managed to escape whatever curse this show obviously carries.

C_Larence

Quote from: first skeleton on mars on September 30, 2021, 08:09:51 AMI wonder how the Rivoli managed to escape whatever curse this show obviously carries.

It did face closure and go up for sale in mid 2020, but I'm not sure what the result of that was.

Ferris

Quote from: C_Larence on September 30, 2021, 08:30:53 AM
It did face closure and go up for sale in mid 2020, but I'm not sure what the result of that was.

It's still going last I checked, though it's been bought and sold a few times. That stretch of Queen street is increasingly a ghost town though - walk up and down and I'd guess about 1 in 5 storefronts are empty because the rents are too high, and that was pre-covid. Even major international retailers (Nike, New Era, Starbucks) were upping sticks and leaving.

Ferris

Ferris

Surely the show's new name will be Nirvanna the Bannd.

The Mollusk

Yeah I got stupidly excited about this post earlier!

zomgmouse

Nirvanna the Band the Show the Show

Ferris

zomgmouse

C_Larence

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 14, 2021, 09:36:17 PM
Some terrific Nirvanna the Band news from Jay Maccarrol's instagram:

Edit: here's the article https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/article-canadian-tvs-most-dangerous-minds-try-something-new-a-cartoon-on/

Seems to only be available to subscribers, any chance someone has the full article?

Edit: Nevermind, apparently closing and reopening the tab was enough to get through the paywall.

there's an archive if anyone else is having trouble

Ferris

Anyone else able to stream this? Canada seems to be locked out for some mad reason.

Would love to watch this - Ferris Jr still asks me about the piano monkey and the duck.

Ferris

Watched the original web version last week, no idea why it's taken me this long to get to that but what a great series. Maybe the third season will be released one day.

Apparently the sticking point from major platforms (Netflix, Amazon, Comedy Central, Adult Swim etc) is the boys' fair use of trademarks/copyright and potential (expensive) lawsuits. Zapruder owns the show now, but I doubt they're well-funded enough to deal with legal action from a large publishing house or studio so self-publishing is a gamble: maybe it'll make money, but if Spielberg or UA have a bad morning, they can wipe out the profitability of the series in a suit or two regardless of whether Zapruder eventually win in court.

I can understand that: why self-publish, and gamble that it'll be alright? Worst case, it could be prohibitively expensive in legal fees and you might lose the lawsuit and be thousands of dollars worse off. For a platform, they're offering something that has a niche audience and potentially a lot of legal headaches - fuck that, commission Ray Mears to go shit in a canyon or something and pocket the difference, artistic expression be damned.

I can dream though.

PlanktonSideburns

It's a shame, but I'd happily take them in cartoon monkey and bird form without all the copyright challenges, they're both such funny bastards

The Mollusk

Surely it's got to get to a point where they give up and just "leak" season 3 onto the internet for free.

Ferris

Yeah I think that's what will eventually happen. That guarantees they make no money from the season though, which sucks.

I don't understand why CBC is willing to host the first two seasons but (presumably?) isn't interested in launching the 3rd. It's frustrating to know this show exists on a hard drive somewhere but boring legal reasons mean I can't see it.