Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:47:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The National Verbwhore demographic thing

Started by NobodyGetsOutAlive, February 18, 2004, 10:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you pass the day officially?

Secondary school
3 (2.5%)
6th form (school or college)
8 (6.8%)
University or other HE institution after 6th form
21 (17.8%)
Employment
64 (54.2%)
Unemployment
17 (14.4%)
Other (please specify)
5 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: February 18, 2004, 10:32:02 AM

I did wonder if it was for not talking dirty enough but didn't want to ask that as an opening question

hymen spaz

is no one else wondering what the wages are like?

mook

Quote from: "hymen spaz"is no one else wondering what the wages are like?

I'm wondering what the interview is like. Do you make the wannabe operators sit there in front of you spouting filth? There's got to be a sketch in there somewhere.

Tom Rad

Quote from: "NobodyGetsOutAlive"
Quote from: "Tom Rad"No, I'm not a member of AUT as it happens, but I am considering joining.
But perhaps you could kindly elaborate on why you consider members of the Association of University Teachers to be scum?
Argh, I didn't really. It was just a flippant remark with no meaning behind it, sorry for any offence blahblahblah.

I do admire what they are doing as well, I truly do. And, as falafel says, it gets me out of lectutres and seminars as well.

Christ, I think I might jump on the "let's reinatate smilies!" bandwagon now.

No worries, I did suspect you might not be serious. I was just making sure... No offence taken etc. etc.

Say, is your username an Alec Empire reference? I'm curious as my only claim to fame is to have once been shoved out of the way by Mr Empire himself at a gig. It were well scary. In a good way.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

It is yeah. Not that I'm his biggest fan or anything, I was just stuck for a username and the track happened to be playing as I was going through the registration.

wooly

I work  for a "popular" television channel that you all know and love.

MojoJojo

Quote from: "Tom Rad"
Anyway, MojoJojo and hands cold, liver warm, what are you doing your PhDs in? How far are you into yours? I'm in my second year but it seems I just know less the more time I spend on it...

Computing - combinatorial optimisation and genetic algorithms.

In my second year, have to write up my transfer report soon.

Was at conference in Germany last week, and now my ignorance seems to know no bounds...

hands cold, liver warm

Quote from: "Tom Rad"Anyway, MojoJojo and hands cold, liver warm, what are you doing your PhDs in? How far are you into yours? I'm in my second year but it seems I just know less the more time I spend on it...

4th year (christ) of a phd testing ecological theories of competition and disease evolution using a laboratory based moth species.

I win

Hairy Chin

Quote from: "wooly"I work  for a "popular" television channel that you all know and love.

Do we get to guess? Did it used to be a number but has now changed to a word?

wooly

Quote from: "Hairy Chin"
Quote from: "wooly"I work  for a "popular" television channel that you all know and love.

You mean "Five"?
Nope, although until very recently we used to be several companies and now we are one big Plc.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "wooly"
Quote from: "Hairy Chin"
You mean "Five"?
Nope, although until very recently we used to be several companies and now we are one big Plc.
Ahh, 'the light channel'. :D

tony peanuts

Quote from: "hands cold, liver warm"
Quote from: "Tom Rad"Anyway, MojoJojo and hands cold, liver warm, what are you doing your PhDs in? How far are you into yours? I'm in my second year but it seems I just know less the more time I spend on it...

4th year (christ) of a phd testing ecological theories of competition and disease evolution using a laboratory based moth species.

I win

I too am doing a PhD, studying the bacteria present within oral tumours.  I'm in my third year, desperately trying to get all the work done before they stop paying me.  And I'm also halfheartedly looking for jobs for afterwards, which is bloody depressing.  Can't find many positions in academia, and I really don't want to face going back into the real world.  

Still, on the plus side I think I've stumbled across 7 new species of bacteria which I'll be able to name myself.  Any suggestions (preferably in latin)?

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: "tony peanuts"(preferably in latin)?

Pulpa voro   Vicious flesh eater
Lactans iumentum  Milk giving beast
superbus gallo    Proud cock

Hmm.. not sure how good the grammar is there.. but they sound funny

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: "tony peanuts"Still, on the plus side I think I've stumbled across 7 new species of bacteria which I'll be able to name myself.  Any suggestions (preferably in latin)?

cool. I've always considered the classification of bacteria to be a bit of a black art as bacteria types that appear quite different can still exchange genetic material. What genera do your bacteria belong to?

If I was to find a new species, I'd try and give it the most complex name possible with lots of z's and x's, making up some excuse of dedicating it to an obscure russian scientist.

hclw

Cheese Arse H Christ

Quote from: "ziggy starbucks"If I was to find a new species, I'd try and give it the most complex name possible with lots of z's and x's, making up some excuse of dedicating it to an obscure russian scientist.

hclw

That reminded me of this: http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Chemistry/MOTM/silly/sillymols.htm

peet

Quote from: "Cheese Arse H Christ"
That reminded me of this: http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Chemistry/MOTM/silly/sillymols.htm

Quote from: "that site"Cummingtonite
This mineral must have the silliest name of them all. Its official name is magnesium iron silicate hydroxide, and it has the formula (Mg,Fe)7Si8O22(OH)2. It got its name from the locality where it was first found, Cummington, Massachusetts, USA.
I have just unintentionally dribbled beer all over my keyboard.