Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:35:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I can't believe I saw this at the cinema at the time list

Started by Brundle-Fly, February 18, 2017, 07:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Not necessarily bad films per se but the sort of unremarkable films that perhaps you should have waited until they came on TV.

Off the top of my head in non-chronological order:

Over The Top
The Return Of The Living Dead 2
The Wraith
Nothing To Lose
Liar Liar
Eat The Rich
Return To Witch Mountain
At The Earth's Core
The Time Machine (remake)
The Running Man
Never Say Never Again
The Shaggy D.A./ Hill's Angels
All the old Herbie films
Pacific Heights
Jagged Edge
Sea Of Love
The Wicker Man remake
Snake Eyes
Get Shorty
Four Rooms
Memoirs Of An Invisible Man
Spies Like Us
Taps
In The Line Of Fire
A Few Good Men
Private Benjamin
Caddyshack
Stripes
Porridge
Battle Beyond The Stars
Battlestar Galactica
Jaws 123&4
Arrival
The Girl With All The Gifts
28 Weeks Later
Three Kings
The Swarm
The Island
Candleshoe
Freaky Friday original version
Fletch
Cool Runnings

And the winner is...Sommersby.

phantom_power

I saw Ghost twice at the cinema. And I thought it was shit both times

Brundle-Fly

Brundle-Fly

billtheburger

Reality Bites & Beverly Hills Cop III on the same day.
More money than sense.

Brundle-Fly

Ghost Rider and The Hitcher remake on the same day. In Perth, AUS.

biggytitbo

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 18, 2017, 07:22:27 PM

Dire Israeli National Lampoon's Animal House knock off.

Shoddy perhaps, and predictably crass, but I wouldn't say dire; it makes good use of some 50s standards, and the
Spoiler alert
abortion scene
[close]
at the end is genuinely quite disturbing. The Projection Booth podcast did an interesting episode on this (and it's many sequels/spin-offs, and the American remake Last American Virgin) recently.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on February 18, 2017, 10:03:02 PM
Shoddy perhaps, and predictably crass, but I wouldn't say dire; it makes good use of some 50s standards, and the
Spoiler alert
abortion scene
[close]
at the end is genuinely quite disturbing. The Projection Booth podcast did an interesting episode on this (and it's many sequels/spin-offs, and the American remake Last American Virgin) recently.

Maybe I should revisit it then?  Haven't seen the movie in nearly forty years. I'll have a listen to the podcast. Hot Bubblegum.

zomgmouse

The Pacifist (my excuse was The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou was sold out and my friend and I had gone all the way to the cinema already)
The Shaggy Dog (remake) (my excuse was my little cousin wanted to see it)

Absorb the anus burn

Hello Again (Shelley Long film)[nb]Do I win the thread?[/nb]

Dex Sawash

the midnight watch baboon

Memphis Belle, which was just a ruse so we could in fact sneak into Total Recall. Did see a bit of MB whilst we plucked up the necessary courage to crawl to a different screen.

samadriel

Coyote Ugly. Fucking brutal, I now never go to the cinema unless we're absolutely certain what we're going to watch ahead of time.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 18, 2017, 07:00:08 PM

Arrival

Just noticed you put this on your list - obviously you thought differently but I thought this was phenomenal in the cinema. The vastness of the design really made an impact for me.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 18, 2017, 07:10:17 PM
Porkies

Really? Because you're younger than me and that was out on video when I was about 13.

I hate to do one of those "I win this thread" type posts but I saw the fucking Prince of Tides at the cinema, so deserve some kind of pity at least. It was when I became obsessive about cinema in my mid-teens and saw everything that I could, along with the fact that Empire gave it a good review, back when they were vaguely worth trusting. It's also the only time I've fallen asleep in the cinema, but only for about five minutes as the people behind me kicked my seat in when I started snoring loudly. Anyway, it's a fucking horrendous self-indulgent pile of shite of a film, and I'd be amazed / horrified if a big fan of it exists. Or even a vague fan  for that matter.

Quote from: billtheburger on February 18, 2017, 08:38:42 PM
Reality Bites & Beverly Hills Cop III on the same day.
More money than sense.

I once went on a date with a lass who forced me to see One Fine Day and Batman and Robin the same afternoon. I can only guess she had a massive crush on George Clooney, who is an actor I sometimes like, but both were painful to sit through. And then when she came back to mine she decided she didn't want to stay the night and fucked off. Which is fair enough, but I wish she'd told me of her intentions before I sat through both of those fucking films.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 19, 2017, 12:49:38 AM
Just noticed you put this on your list - obviously you thought differently but I thought this was phenomenal in the cinema. The vastness of the design really made an impact for me.

Oh, it looked amazing, but I guarantee no fucker will be discussing this dehydrated film in years to come.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 19, 2017, 01:55:41 AM
Oh, it looked amazing, but I guarantee no fucker will be discussing this dehydrated film in years to come.
I reckon I will. I loved it.

Shaky

White Chicks
The Beverley Hillbillies
Men in Black -  now... this is a good film, but i went to see it four times with different people such was the lack of decent stuff to do in my hometown. Four times was at least two times too much. I was almost in tears by the end of the final session, mouthing along silently to the script.

Icehaven

Pompeii. Think that's what it was called anyway, came out last year, bloody awful load of rubbish with about 10 minutes of volcano at the end, special effects looked like they cost about 5 quid. Only went because my Mum wanted to see it, and she enjoyed it so that's alright then. We were almost the only people in the cinema, and no one else I've mentioned it to has even heard of it so I think it's safe to presume it flopped.

Custard

Fair Game, with Cindy Crawford and One Of The Baldwins.

Even in 1995 people were laughing out loud at its shitness. Highlights included sex that then pans away to show Baldwin still has his trousers on and pulled up, him doing that flying sideways through the air in slow motion whilst shooting thing, and the leads having minus chemistry together. It's amazingly bad

Chain Reaction with Keanu Reeves is the only film I've ever walked out of. It probably isn't even that bad, but to a gaggle of pissed up 14 year olds it was boring beyond belief

My dad DESPISED Inception, and it always makes me laugh when I remember his reaction when the car begins slowly hurtling towards the water, as he knew that he'd be sitting there another good half hour. (I love Inception)

Large Noise

Went to see The Wicker Man remake with pals when I was 15, not knowing anything about the original. Got drunk and really enjoyed it.

Ditto The Omen remake, which, as I recall, was actually pretty scary.

Puce Moment

The only Disney film I've seen in the cinema is The Fox and the Hound. In fact, it is one of the only Disney films I have ever seen.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I used to work in a small town in the Czech Republic where there was nothing to much to doexcept bang that Connie Booth lookalike, My God she was fucking fit, and the cinema was really cheap, so I watched a load of films there that I normally wouldn't bother my arse with. One fine Sunday Evening, I sat in the cinema and watched ""Spiceworld" (the Spice Girls film), with a Scottish man in his late 50s called Jim.Thus, I win this thread.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh, "Carry On Columbus", too.I still remember the feeling of miserable, muted despair evinced from the audience as we left the cinema.

Brundle-Fly

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 19, 2017, 01:33:47 PM
Oh, "Carry On Columbus", too.I still remember the feeling of miserable, muted despair evinced from the audience as we left the cinema.

Ha, I saw that as well as I've a friend who's a passionate fan of the series. We all knew it was going to be terrible, but went anyway, so at least were prepared for it's shiteness.

Spiceworld is a perfectly enjoyable film so I still reckon Prince of Tides wins the thread. I mean, have you even seen it for free? I hope not, as no sane man would.

Glebe

I always like to say 1994 SF action movie No Escape was so bad it literally made me sick (although in truth, I reckon it was something I ate...). I didn't actually puke in the cinema, but I had to leave early.