Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:45:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I can't believe I saw this at the cinema at the time list

Started by Brundle-Fly, February 18, 2017, 07:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Ha, me too. AND Highlander 3.

I've managed to see 2001: A Space Odyssey in the cinema twice - a 1978 rerelease and at the Tyneside Cinema. Saw many other good/unusual films there in my time, though struggling to remember them. Life Is Sweet. Tampopo. Rhapsody In August (Kurosawa's last film?). Sure there were others.

Cuntbeaks

Akira when it first came out. Incredible, still probably the most intense cinema experience I've had.

Samsara, in the same cinema, albiet a smaller screen. Trippy as fuck, not always in a good way.

Yellow Submarine, when the DVD came out. Sober with my 4 your old son. Raging i never asked for the foyer poster.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 19, 2017, 08:31:23 AM

My dad DESPISED Inception, and it always makes me laugh when I remember his reaction when the car begins slowly hurtling towards the water, as he knew that he'd be sitting there another good half hour. (I love Inception)

Hello son

Sebastian Cobb

I have no Idea why a group of us aged about 14 went and saw Mel Gibson's What Women Want.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 22, 2017, 12:57:42 PM
I have no Idea why a group of us aged about 14 went and saw Mel Gibson's What Women Want.

I saw that at the cinema too but it was a rare occasion where I was on a date which led to sex so I can't hate it as much as I want to. Same goes for Love, Actually and that fucking awful 2003 Peter Pan film.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 22, 2017, 01:58:55 PM
I saw that at the cinema too but it was a rare occasion where I was on a date which led to sex so I can't hate it as much as I want to. Same goes for Love, Actually and that fucking awful 2003 Peter Pan film.

We went as a group of lads, if there were girls involved it wouldn't be as baffling.

Golden E. Pump

Jurassic Park 3. Three times. Three fucking times.

Sickbed Virgil

I went to the local pictures every Saturday afternoon from the late 80s to the mid 90s (small town, absolutely nothing else to do) so the amount of shite I've had to sit through is shocking, now I've started to think about it. The place was staffed by people who couldn't have cared less about age restrictions, which was great when you're 10 and watching T2....not so great when it's True Identity the following week. I hate Lenny Henry. Some others.....

Soapdish
Regarding Henry
Only The Lonely
K-9
Sommersby (for fucks sake)
Nothing But Trouble
Rocky 5
The Brady Bunch
Romy and Michelle
Singles
Spawn
Curly Sue
To The Extreme
Billy Bathgate
Suburban Commando

And loads more that I hope I don't remember.

hewantstolurkatad

Sickbed Virgil

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on July 23, 2017, 03:42:06 PM
Potentially worth a revisit, that one

I sat through it again when it came out on video, at my then girlfriends insistence. It wasn't any better, although I did get my fingers, so it wasn't all bad.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sickbed Virgil on July 23, 2017, 02:29:39 PM
Suburban Commando

I'm surprised that even made it to the cinema. I saw it because one of my mates used to buy the bargain bin £1.50 ex-rental tapes from Londis.

mothman

I saw Singles. Enjoyed it. Very much if its time though, doubt it's aged well.

Sickbed Virgil

Quote from: mothman on July 23, 2017, 07:04:13 PM
I saw Singles. Enjoyed it. Very much if its time though, doubt it's aged well.

It was, objectively, a good film I suppose. But not in the slightest bit relevant to somebody my age in a dreary English town, so I didn't enjoy it. Which is my fault, not theirs really. I've never seen it since either but, like you, I can imagine it has aged awfully. Although judging by the clobber some of the whoppers round mine are wearing, high waisted jeans, check-shirts and Doctor Martens are making a comeback, so maybe not.

Sickbed Virgil

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 23, 2017, 06:24:59 PM
I'm surprised that even made it to the cinema. I saw it because one of my mates used to buy the bargain bin £1.50 ex-rental tapes from Londis.

Believe it or not, they were queuing round the block for that. It was a big deal at the time, we all loved the Hulkster, despite his clear, raging cocaine addiction and fondness for spandex and cowboy boots. I don't miss the 90s.

Glebe

Quote from: Sickbed Virgil on July 23, 2017, 02:29:39 PMSoapdish
Regarding Henry
Only The Lonely
K-9
Sommersby (for fucks sake)
Nothing But Trouble
Rocky 5
The Brady Bunch
Romy and Michelle
Singles
Spawn
Curly Sue
To The Extreme
Billy Bathgate
Suburban Commando

That's pretty much the entire filmography of the early '90s, there.

Billy

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 22, 2017, 12:17:36 PM
1980. Still with one of the
Spoiler alert
bleakest shock
[close]
endings ever in film.

Oh, so *that's* what that film was (Silver Dream Racer). Remember seeing the last five minutes of it on telly one night and thinking "What the fuck was that?".

Back in the mid-1990s I really wanted to see Twelve Monkeys. Not because I was a Terry Gilliam fan fascinated by dystopian future flicks, but because I was seven years old and thought it was a cartoon about twelve monkeys. On discovering my mistake, I found out that they were showing *another* film about monkeys that was U-rated, and dragged my Dad with me to see that instead.

Christ knows what this film was called and who was in it. It was the most forgettable thing I'd ever seen, and remember nothing about it today except it had a kid in it, a monkey, and possibly the word 'Monkey' in the title. Which could still be a ton of films as it's hardly an original idea...

Chriddof

Quote from: Billy on July 24, 2017, 01:00:57 AM
Christ knows what this film was called and who was in it. It was the most forgettable thing I'd ever seen, and remember nothing about it today except it had a kid in it, a monkey, and possibly the word 'Monkey' in the title. Which could still be a ton of films as it's hardly an original idea...

Did some Googling and can't seem to find out much about this - the nearest thing is something called A Monkey's Tale, except that was released in the UK in 2000 rather than 1996 (which is when Twelve Monkeys came out).

Billy

Nah, I was almost at secondary school by then and had moved up to more highbrow affair such as Pokemon: The First Movie. It was definitely a live-action film anyway.

Having a look myself, I wondered if it was Dunston Checks In - which fits with Twelve Monkeys' release (even though 'Dunston' is an orangutan) - but Monkey Trouble fits my vague childhood memories a bit more, even though it's a 1994 film so two years too early. Maybe it was a cheapo Saturday morning showing where they brought back an old-but-fairly-recent film for the kids, or maybe I've just completely misremembered the timeline, god knows.

Both look pretty naff just from the posters, anyway.

Golden E. Pump

I saw 'Dunston Checks In' at the cinema actually now that you mention it. I was nine.

NoSleep

Dead & Buried (1981), because of the "The creators of Alien bring a new terror to earth" in the publicity. Ron Shusett and Dan O'Bannon did indeed write the screenplay (based on a story by two other writers) but it was no Alien.

Icehaven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 22, 2017, 02:02:23 PM
We went as a group of lads, if there were girls involved it wouldn't be as baffling.

A group of 14 year old boys going to see a film called What Women Want is perfectly logical really. I'm guessing you were hoping it was a documentary rather than a lame rom com.