Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:54:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I can't believe I saw this at the cinema at the time list

Started by Brundle-Fly, February 18, 2017, 07:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Cop Land
Running Scared
Arachnophobia
High Spirits
Eight Legged Freaks
Robocop remake
Phenomenon

The New Page starring William Hurt.

Gulftastic

In the late 80's, early 90's, my mate got a car, and Leeds opened it's first multiplex. We quickly realised we could easily see two films whilst only paying for one, so used to see pretty much two a week from then on. As well as some great films of the time, we saw lots that were less memorable.
Here are some of them:

Hard To Kill
KickBoxer
Double Impact
Nuns On The Run
Wilt
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (which we saw at a cinema in a shopping mall in Florida. The most American thing we've ever done. Aside from killing those brown people that time).
The Guardian
Short Time
Tales From The Darkside: The Movie
Bird On A Wire
The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane
Young Guns 2
Air America
My Blue Heaven
Men At Work
Death Warrant
Marked For Death
Three Men & A Little Lady
The Rookie (Clint version)
Earth Girls Are Easy
Road House
Black Rain
Sleeping With The Enemy
King Ralph
The Doors
Hudson Hawk
VI Warshawksi

biggytitbo

I saw Carry on Columbus too, one for the bleak thread that film. The mood was darker emerging from that than when I saw Schindler's Lst.

Brundle-Fly

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Danger Man on February 19, 2017, 04:22:06 PM
Call

You saw that at the cinema? Christ, I'm amazed it didn't go straight to video after seeing the trailer the other day. Is it actually any good, even if in an it's so bad it's fun kind of way?

I've just remembered that I saw Cocoon 2: The Return at the cinema. Mum was trying to force my step-dad to spend more time with me so we went to see it, I think the fact that we both hated it was the only thing we ever had in common.

hewantstolurkatad

Ted about 6 months after it came out. It was a case where I was stuck in a dead town for exactly 90 minutes with nothing to do but it still makes me feel a bit weird to think about.

Only other time I've ever gone to a cinema without a film chosen in advance was to see the Adam Sandler remake of the longest yard. The only other film in the cinema was Crash, I figured it'd be better but wasn't gonna talk my friends into going to it.
In retrospect, we probably went to the better film.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Danger Man on February 19, 2017, 04:22:06 PM
Call

Hold your horses mate, two of a kind, because saw both of these on the same day[nb]One was a packed screening, the other? More people were in the film than in the cinema....[/nb]....

Win the thread, lose at life.

SavageHedgehog

In terms of stuff that was neither very good, nor very popular (in the UK), nor anything that especially called out to me for esoteric reasons at the time:
Mr Nanny
Dumb & Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd
Legally Blonde 2
The Singing Detective (terrible American 2003 big screen remake)
Dickie Roberts: Child Star
Godsend

Club Dread (loved it at the time TBH, but not many others did and it sunk like a stone)
13 Going on 30
Taxi (another dire American remake, in this case of something I still haven't seen)
Without a Paddle
Son of the Mask (in the case of this it was blindly wanting to see a sequel to a film I enjoyed a lot as a child)
xXx: The Next Level (quite enjoyed this in a Channel 5 sort of way at the time)
The Pacifier
Norbit
Sleuth (2007)
The Happening
Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Blood: The Last Vampire (live action)
The Spirit
My Sister's Keeper
The Boat That Rocked
The Proposal (I guess this was pretty popular, awful though)
G-Force
Gamer
Law Abiding Citizen
Funny People
Year One
Land of the Lost (another I sort of enjoyed at the time)
The Book of Eli
Gulliver's Travels (the Jack Black one, despite having perhaps the worst trailer I've ever seen)
New Year's Eve
Jack & Jill (yes, really)
The Cold Light of Day
Shark Night 3D
The Moth Diaries
R.I.P.D.
The Internship
The Intern

That'll do for now. Was the 00s (especially the mid-00s) a really, really bad time for mainstream/mainstreamish cinema or was I just very unlucky?

I also chose Super Mario Bros over Jurassic Park when I was 6, which was completely consistent with my tastes at the time, but nonetheless thought I should mention it. Also saw fellow millennial bêtes noires Tom & Jerry: The Movie and Turtles III that year.

Ended up seeing Rush Hour 3 and Men In Black III twice in cinemas, despite thinking both were terrible on my first watch. MIBIII didn't seem too bad on a second viewing, still think people were way too generous with it though.

KennyMonster

Twins was bad enough but sometime after I saw............

Home Alone, I was 14 at the time it came out and into Madchester music etc.
My mate was a year older and wanted to see it because he thought it'd be funny seeing the little boy yelling AAAARGH! a lot.
It was a complete change to the sual Sci Fi and horror films we'd regularly rent out on VHS. Still to this day feel embarassed about going to see that on opening weekend.

I made my own cinema choices after that, and was much better for it, I remember I saw The Lawnmower Man on opening day......................bugger, not so smart after all.

Do I win?

billtheburger

Norton Canes

Would love to have been old enough to see trashy British flicks like the Carry On films and the Confessions... series on the big screen. I can't quite get my head around the idea of shelling out to see these at the cinema. Every nostalgic cliche about the Pearl and Dean theme and cheap adverts for local businesses would have suited that down to the ground. 

Bad Ambassador

Of the films mentioned so far, I saw the following in the cinema:

The Wicker Man (remake), Arrival, 28 Weeks Later, Three Kings, Ghost Rider, The Hitcher (remake), Men in Black, The Omen (remake), Eight Legged Freaks, RoboCop (remake), The Singing Detective (remake), Sleuth (remake), The Happening and Rush Hour.

A lot of horror remakes there. I remember that the utter abysmality of The Hitcher dissuaded me from seeing any more. The Fog was also mindbendingly appalling.

steveh

Think I had the whole of the stalls of the Odeon Leicester Square to myself for the lunchtime showing of that one.

samadriel

SteveDave

Murder At 1600

All I can remember is that Alan Alda did it.

Black_Bart

Just remembered I saw The Adventures of Baron Munchausen for my birthday. Although a PG, the bit with Uma did something to me.

Empire of the Ants and Island of Dr Moreau, both late 70s.  Just watched both online and they're crap.  The siege of Moreau's jungle fort by his human-animal hybrids is now comically reminiscent of the Ewoks attacking the imperial troops in the jungle camp in Revenge of the Jedi.

Danger Man

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 19, 2017, 07:33:37 PM
You saw that at the cinema? Christ, I'm amazed it didn't go straight to video after seeing the trailer the other day. Is it actually any good, even if in an it's so bad it's fun kind of way?

I have almost no memory of it but if a very young Danger Boy thought it was a load of shit at the time then I'm guessing that the much older, dead inside cynic that I've become wouldn't think much of it today.

Then again, it might have some kitsch charm. It's probably a better example of what living in the 80's was really like than all those movies about skinheads.

SavageHedgehog

If IMDB is to be believed (and in this case I'm not convinced that it is) it was actually given a cinema rerelease in 1996, a time-period not known for high levels of appreciation of 80s kitsch, certainly not low-budget British 80s film kitsch.

Not entirely on point because it was very exciting for me at the time, but I've also just remembered I saw Thunderbird 6 at the ABC/Cannon in Norwich in 1992 or 93; I've never found any confirmation that it was re-released at that time, but I definitely saw it. My memory is that I went to Pizza Hut afterwards where they had some sort of tie-in, but in retrospect it must have been a more generalised Thunderbirds tie-in.

Blumf

Don't think the distributors could believe it either.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Danger Man on February 20, 2017, 04:22:36 PM
I have almost no memory of it but if a very young Danger Boy thought it was a load of shit at the time then I'm guessing that the much older, dead inside cynic that I've become wouldn't think much of it today.

Then again, it might have some kitsch charm. It's probably a better example of what living in the 80's was really like than all those movies about skinheads.

I feel the need to see this now. It's badly seeded on the pirate bay but hopefully I'll be able to track it down.

Quote from: Blumf on February 20, 2017, 06:32:07 PM

Don't think the distributors could believe it either.

I saw that at the cinema too, and about five years ago, and greatly enjoyed it both times.