Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:24:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chrome zoom function

Started by HappyTree, February 20, 2017, 09:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTree

The time came for many before now and sadly for me the time is fast approaching when I finally have to admit that Firefox has become so sluggish and shite that I'm going to move to Chrome.

I've been resisting because I have FF set up exactly how I want and because of Chrome's poor zoom function. But now I need to face it:

I can't find how to zoom text, but not images, in Chrome. Can anyone help?

Pseudopath

Does clicking Settings > Show advanced settings (at the bottom of the page) and changing the Font size from Medium to Large do the trick? Unfortunately, I don't think there's a keyboard shortcut to adjust the font size alone, so you'd have to go back into Settings to change it (although there are plugins like Zoom Text Only which claim to do this). Bear in mind that some websites ignore the browser font settings too.

HappyTree

Yeah I have the settings at largest already. I use the net on a big TV and sit way back from it so I always need text to be bigger. I use this forum at text zoomed 200%.

I'll give the plugin a try, thanks. Weird how Chrome doesn't think people would need to zoom text only. Ah well.

HappyTree

Crisis averted. I went back to 32-bit FF and it works much better. The latest update switched me to 32-bit so I uninstalled and forced the 64-bit installation. Nothing but a ballache ever since. My ID card reader won't let me log into the sites I need (bank, gov admin stuff) and every single page stops at 80% and waits for about a minute before completing. I of course assumed this was the state logging everything I do. I still assume this, but at least going back to 32-bit makes them log it more quickly!

Chrome, I'll see you in HELL!

Uncle TechTip

Creating a new Firefox profile can fix this situation too. It's a pain to revert your add-ons and bookmarks but worth it. Random crashes and sluggishness went away for me.