Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:02:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone ever managed to access their computer from android?

Started by Depressed Beyond Tables, February 20, 2017, 03:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Depressed Beyond Tables

Proper ballache. Trying to get Teamviewer working on a Moto G. Works fine but can't wake the computer remotely when it's sleeping.

Possible?

Youtube vids not working either :(

Obel

If you're not able to wake your machine it's most likely that Wake on LAN is not enabled in the BIOS. Would boot into BIOS and check if this is a setting you can change.

Also worth checking the properties of your network card. This a PC connected by LAN cable? If so go to Network and Sharing Center - Change adapter settings - Right click on the ethernet adapter and select Properties - Configure - Advanced tab. Check the Wake On options if applicable. Also go to the Power Management tab - check the allow this device to wake the computer option/s.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Should I only allow a magic packet to wake the computer on the card settings?

Also is there any need to port forward on the router? no idea what this is about.

Obel

Yeah magic packet is probably good to enable.

I shouldn't think you'd need to do any port forwarding, honestly I've not tested Teamviewer from my mobile before though so don't quote me on it. I do have a Moto G so I might have a dick around myself and see if I can get it working on my machine.

Depressed Beyond Tables

When the laptop is asleep Team viewer android app on my Moto just says that 'TV is not running on the remote computer.'

canadagoose

Have you tried Chrome Remote Desktop? It works flawlessly. I've accessed my computer from hundreds of miles away on my smartphone and it works just fine.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: canadagoose on February 20, 2017, 10:45:16 PM
Have you tried Chrome Remote Desktop? It works flawlessly. I've accessed my computer from hundreds of miles away on my smartphone and it works just fine.

Works well on first impressions, not much different to TeamViewer it seems. Did you just leave your computer on for days/weeks? I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

canadagoose

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on February 20, 2017, 11:37:33 PM
Works well on first impressions, not much different to TeamViewer it seems. Did you just leave your computer on for days/weeks? I'm trying to avoid that if possible.
I just end up leaving it on when I think I'll need to use it away from home. I guess you could switch it off overnight if you wanted to save power.

easytarget

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: canadagoose on February 23, 2017, 04:20:24 AM
I just end up leaving it on when I think I'll need to use it away from home. I guess you could switch it off overnight if you wanted to save power.

Well this is the crux. How to start it remotely?

I can now start the computer from the phone using the same Wifi at home, but not over the mobile network from a distance. It seems the router is not opening ports for forwarding.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on February 23, 2017, 10:24:55 AM
Well this is the crux. How to start it remotely?

I can now start the computer from the phone using the same Wifi at home, but not over the mobile network from a distance. It seems the router is not opening ports for forwarding.

How are you managing your public IP address- static ip or dyn-dns? And are you port forwarding to the broadcast address or the specific PC you want to wake (which will require a static ARP entry).

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 23, 2017, 12:32:43 PM
How are you managing your public IP address- static ip or dyn-dns? And are you port forwarding to the broadcast address or the specific PC you want to wake (which will require a static ARP entry).

Well it appears Vodafone charge 6 quid a month for a static IP so I tried the dyn-dns trial which is 4 a month, but still no joy. I hit a stumbling block when trying to open ports, which apparently you have to do.

Milo

https://www.duckdns.org/ is free and works well for a static IP.

What is it you're trying to achieve by accessing your computer remotely?

Wilbur

You'll need to forward ports 7 and 9 on your router.

Explanation here rather than me typing it out

http://superuser.com/questions/889249/does-wake-on-lan-via-wan-needs-port-forwarding

For vodafone some instructions a few posts down this thread

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-products-services/Broadband-Port-Forwarding/td-p/2490086

From experience its much easier and less hassle to just leave the fucker on.....

Edited as I fortgot to add that TV doesnt send a WOL packet afaik it needs to have the server running so you'll need another app to wake the machine first here is one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.uk.mrwebb.wakeonlan&hl=en *

*Other WOL apps may be available...

MojoJojo

Wilbur - I thank while TeamViewer can use another PC/device to send the WOL packet, it does have a mode to do it without, although it's a lot harder to get working, which DBT seems to be trying to do.

Simple solution but costs money: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Required-Anywhere-HS100-UK/dp/B01I3ZCBFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487931950&sr=8-1&keywords=wifi+plug+socket

If you don't want to spend any money, and your router isn't letting you do the port forwarding, might be worth seeing if flashing DD-WRT on it is possible and might help. I think I might have to do this to get Alexa to turn my TV on (NAT timeouts being my suspicion).

Wilbur

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 24, 2017, 10:33:13 AM
Simple solution but costs money: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Required-Anywhere-HS100-UK/dp/B01I3ZCBFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487931950&sr=8-1&keywords=wifi+plug+socket

eeerm I may be missing something but unless the Machine has a toggle on/off switch then just turning the power on at the wall wont switch it on unless there is a power on recovery switch available in the bios (which there may be but its not that simple an option).

MojoJojo

Oh really? On all the desktops I've used you've been able to configure what happens when power is restored On/Off/Whatever it was before power was off. Supposed to set to off at work, because if we have a power cut, everyone's PCs attempting to boot up at the same time when the power comes back can throw the breaker.

I was assuming a desktop, although DBT hasn't actually said. Guess it wouldn't work with a laptop.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Milo on February 24, 2017, 08:40:04 AM
What is it you're trying to achieve by accessing your computer remotely?

It'd be very convenient to be able to access files and specific software (not available on phone) and work while on the go from my phone. It looks like i'll be leaving the laptop on whenever I need this option, which is probably not a major deal on the scale of things.