Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:24:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ridiculous claims about movies

Started by Twed, February 23, 2017, 12:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

People who think that "let's get into character" in Pulp Fiction is breaking the fourth wall.

QuoteAt the conclusion, Jules tells Vincent, "Come on. Let's get into character." The implication is, for one minute, the movie just stopped. Our two characters took a break, had a chat, and then walked back on set.

No, the implication is that the characters Vince and Jules need to stop having normal people conversations and get into character as assassin gangsters because it is time to kill some people now. That's the entire point of just about every conversation they have.

marquis_de_sad

Yeah, spot on.

I also dislike it when people say that when characters break the fourth wall, they "know" they're in a film. Why apply realist assumptions to something so deliberately anti-realist as breaking the fourth wall?

Serge

I've mentioned it on here before, but the theory that I've seen online that the alien that comes out and does the hand signals to Lacombe at the end of 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind' is Roy Neary who has somehow been altered (in the space of a couple of minutes, apparently) to be able to travel in space with the other aliens. I mean, WHA-A-A-A-A-AAT? To believe this, you literally have to ignore the fact that dozens of other people have been kidnapped by the aliens and returned to Earth just minutes before this scene, and somehow invent a scenario in which a human can be 'alienised' in your own head, as there's nothing in the film (even in the 1980 Special Edition where we see Neary inside the ship, which seems to be what triggers this theory) to support it whatsoever.

QDRPHNC

There's a ghost in 3 Men and a Baby.

Steven

If you watch Mac & Me while eating a Big Mac your arsehole turns inside-out.

Bazooka

Quote from: Steven on February 23, 2017, 12:12:03 PM
If you watch Mac & Me while eating a Big Mac your arsehole turns inside-out.

I wondered what caused that.

mothman

Every so often, "Ewan MacGregor's character actually being dead at the end of Shallow Grave" rears its ugly head. He isn't.

Steven

If Michael J. Fox asks for film recommendations and you suggest Tremors he gets offended.

Glebe

Quote from: Bazooka on February 23, 2017, 01:32:28 PM

I was just out shopping when who should I bump into but Michael Gove and family!