Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Raw (2016)

Started by zomgmouse, February 24, 2017, 12:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

New French-Belgian horror film, premiered at Cannes last year (and was pretty much the only interesting thing by a non-established director that looked any good to me.

I just saw a preview of this and loved it a lot. Amazingly done. Coming-of-age with cannibalism. The levels of discomfort were channelled incredibly well from the start. Actors are all great, shot fantastically, really cool soundtrack. I was very very into this. Definitely go out and see this.
(My only quibble is
Spoiler alert
why the parents didn't just tell her she was a cannibal before. I guess maybe they wanted her to discover it for herself?
[close]
But it still most definitely works.)

Noodle Lizard

Is this quite good then?

I only ask because I've been so disappointed by all the recent hyped-up "art horror" films.  Eyes Of My Mother was alright, but nothing mind-blowing.

So what's this like then?  I remember hearing a lot about it early on last year, but then all went silent.  Is it on the VOD then?  You say you saw a preview, which makes it sound like that's not the case, but you're also in Australia which is behind literally every other country in the world, despite being several hours ahead of all of them.  So what's it like, is it good?

zomgmouse

It comes out in cinemas in April here. Australia lagging behind is nothing new - we've been doing better but for a lot of Cannes stuff etc we tend to still not keep up. I'm thinking of Rams from last year - hell, even Green Room took about a year to make its way down here.

To answer your question - yes. Yes, very very good. I wouldn't even say this was that "arty". Certainly not as moodily abstract as Eyes of My Mother, which I quite liked. This was phenomenal though. As we tend to have rather opposing tastes I can't guarantee you'll enjoy it but I thought it was fresh and intense and just excellent. I'd certainly recommend you see it.

Custard

Not a great deal to contribute here, but just to say I will be deffo checking this out. Cheers for the heads-up!

acrow

bumping to say this comes out (near me at least) in a couple of weeks.

i am genuinely excited to see this and i only hope that i'm not disappointed.

i don't think there's ever been a quote from a review that has made more interested in seeing a film than this from the guardian:

"What is very impressive about Raw is that absolutely everything about it is disquieting, not just the obvious moments of revulsion: there is no let up in the ambient background buzz of fear"

that sounds right up my fucking alley. but it also sounds like the most overblown praise ever. please god let them be telling the truth. i so badly want to be disquieted.

SavageHedgehog

Saw it at a ShowFilmFirst preview screening at a very mainstream, Mall-based Cinema who surely won't touch the general release with a bargepole. Pretty much loved it, can't claim to fully understand the subtext, but that just makes it creepier and more unsettling on a guttural level than some other critically praised horrors where the subtext was clunkingly obvious (e.g. It Follows). But yeah, that up there is hyperbolic BS of the first order. So don't go expecting that; worst comes to worst you'll end up agreeing with that guy rather than me and be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed. It's plenty disquieting though, don't worry about that.

acrow

excellent. think i'm going to see this tonight. hoping for an empty cinema put off by frenchness.

Wet Blanket

I thought this was all right but didn't knock my pipe out. I think that both my expectations were too high and I'm growing a bit tired of outré European art-house shockers. There's a definite sub-genre of smarty-pants 'extreme' cinema that this fits quite comfortably into, with its faintly anti-septic atmosphere and supposed political subtext.