Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:14:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Get Out (Horror film by Jordan Peele)

Started by up_the_hampipe, February 26, 2017, 09:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

So this is doing quite well at the moment. With 135 reviews already logged, it has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. Written and directed by Jordan Peele from off of Key & Peele, it stars the pretty great Daniel Kaluuya as a young lad who meets white girlfriend's parents and gradually discovers nothing is as it seems!!!!.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzfpyUB60YY

Interested to see it. Comes out in March over 'ere.

Van Dammage

It's an odd one. Horror / thrillers with fairly straightforward sounding plots usually don't get such good reviews. It sounds bland but I'm fairly interested in seeing it too.

Mini

Quote from: Van Dammage on February 26, 2017, 10:48:41 PM
It's an odd one. Horror / thrillers with fairly straightforward sounding plots usually don't get such good reviews. It sounds bland but I'm fairly interested in seeing it too.

I think the thing here is that it's a racism allegory, which sounds quite interesting. As a horror film it doesn't look that good though, but I'm curious to see it.

Brundle-Fly

Very intriguing.  It seems reminiscent of a Bizarro version of Lakeview Terrace (2008)

Custard

Just seen this, and I thought it was brilliant. A proper edge of your seat, gripping, what-the-fuck watch.

Won't say anymore yet, as wouldn't wanna spoil anything for anyone, but its probably the best horror I've seen in a long time

SEE IT, SEE IT, BLINKIN' SEE IT!

And don't read anything about it beforehand, whatever you do

up_the_hampipe

Very exciting. Comes out on Friday here, right? Going to see it ASAP.

willy crossit

Yeah I saw this last night - it's the real deal to be honest. Never seen audience reactions like it, most fun I've had at cinema in years.

Custard

Oh boy, can't stop thinking about it. A sure sign of a great horror

Might have to see it again this weekend!

Brundle-Fly

Gah! I've agreed to see Skull Island this afternoon so it might be two cinematic trips this week.

Serge

Gah! Like 'Prevenge', there's no sign of this opening anywhere in Derby, though 'Prevenge' only got added to the listings at the QUAD at the last minute, so fingers crossed.

GeeWhiz

Quote from: willy crossit on March 14, 2017, 01:13:26 PM
Yeah I saw this last night - it's the real deal to be honest. Never seen audience reactions like it, most fun I've had at cinema in years.

At the BFI? As did I. Massive crowd reactions. Cheers, screaming and one woman shouting 'bomboclat' at the villains. Most fun I've had at the flicks since Fury Road.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Serge on March 14, 2017, 04:33:33 PMGah! Like 'Prevenge', there's no sign of this opening anywhere in Derby, though 'Prevenge' only got added to the listings at the QUAD at the last minute, so fingers crossed.

This Friday it opens at the city centre cinema that isn't the Phoenix in Leicester.

Van Dammage

Just realised that Parking Patawayo is the lead in this!

willy crossit

Quote from: GeeWhiz on March 14, 2017, 05:18:05 PM
At the BFI? As did I. Massive crowd reactions. Cheers, screaming and one woman shouting 'bomboclat' at the villains. Most fun I've had at the flicks since Fury Road.

Hahaha yeah, was an excellent night.

Everyone going to see this: can't stress enough that you should steer clear of reading anything about this before you go in. I'd even avoid the trailers if you haven't seen them already.

Puce Moment

Quote from: willy crossit on March 15, 2017, 11:31:50 AM
Hahaha yeah, was an excellent night.

Everyone going to see this: can't stress enough that you should steer clear of reading anything about this before you go in. I'd even avoid the trailers if you haven't seen them already.

I have my fucking head in the sand with this - I don't even really want to open this thread but I am just to excited not to.

Custard

Yeah, I steered clear of anything to do with the film, so I'd go in fresh, and it made for a great experience as I had no idea where any if it was going. Easily the most gripping film I've seen in a long time

Bad Ambassador

According to my brief skim of Box Office Mojo, by the weekend this will be one of the five highest-grossing horror films of all time in the US. So, well done everyone.

Serge

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 14, 2017, 06:18:51 PM
This Friday it opens at the city centre cinema that isn't the Phoenix in Leicester.

It turns out that I am a blind bastard, as it opened in Derby today, so I'll be off to see it sometime in the week.

McQ

Just want to add my voice to the choir and say that this is really very, very good.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Serge on March 17, 2017, 09:01:03 PM
It turns out that I am a blind bastard, as it opened in Derby today, so I'll be off to see it sometime in the week.
Please read this post again after you've seen it.

Kolba

Just saw this and it was very good, but christ almighty the trailer reveals almost everything and gives away most of the shocks. Stay well clear of the trailer and just go and see it.

Straight Faced Customer

What a bloody good film! 2017 is shaping up to be a corker. Also, may I add, the most recent thing since Stranger Things that cribs a little from Under the Skin.

Only question in retrospect nagging at me is why
Spoiler alert
did the grandma opt to go for a black woman's body? I get the men going for a black man's body, seeing as the whole film talks about what is seen as their physical prowess. Is it simply that a white woman would feel like she can take over the body of a minority, as if it's her property in the whole hierarchy of society? If that was the case, then any minority would suffice e.g. Latino etc
[close]

Dr Funke

Quote from: Straight Faced Customer on March 19, 2017, 01:57:21 PM
Only question in retrospect nagging at me is why
Spoiler alert
did the grandma opt to go for a black woman's body? I get the men going for a black man's body, seeing as the whole film talks about what is seen as their physical prowess. Is it simply that a white woman would feel like she can take over the body of a minority, as if it's her property in the whole hierarchy of society? If that was the case, then any minority would suffice e.g. Latino etc
[close]

Spoiler alert
Was there any evidence of the procedure being done with a white person as the host or was it just black people?
[close]

Straight Faced Customer

I suppose
Spoiler alert
the film was saying it'd be easier to 'spirit away' any black person in order to create a host, as opposed to a white one. Nobody would pay much attention etc etc. Still, that could apply to any ethnic minority
[close]
#nitpicking

The film says at one point, I think it's through
Spoiler alert
Stephen Root's character when he's talking to Kaluuya before the procedure that people want a black body for different reasons, some to feel stronger, some to feel cooler, some because it's the fashion, etc.
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I think the mere knowledge that it is a horror was spoiler enough. While I didn't expect the
Spoiler alert
brain swapping shenanigans (the hypnosis made for an effective red herring)
[close]
it nevertheless felt a bit predictable. That aside, it was indeed very good.

Serge

I hate to be 'that guy' yet again, but this really isn't very good. I have to admit that on the whole I'm not a fan of horror movies, but was hoping as this was made by Jordan Peele that it would have something going for it, but nope, it's just another bloody horror movie. Daniel Kaluuya and a couple of others aside (the always dependable Stephen Root, for one), most of the performances were pretty shoddy (why do people keep giving work to Catherine Keener?), the pacing was all wrong - the first 45 minutes were so tedious I nearly got up and walked out, and I generally like slow movies - and a general feeling of 'oh, it's that movie again' ('Seconds', 'Being John Malkovich', etc, etc).

Even the fact that the victims are black is torturously forced. I get that the idea is that black people disappearing are likely to have less police time spent on them than white people, and that's a fair thing to make a movie about, but as we're shown that Chris is a reasonably well-known photographer, his disappearance isn't likely to be filed away at the back of the paper, not to mention that friends of the disappeared are going to put two and two together, and not always in a comic 'they're all sex slaves!' way that's easily dismissed like his pal in the movie - especially if Rose is meant to have been dating them for months at a time. And really, if it's just about old people wanting young bodies, there's no reason whatsoever for them all to be black.

A major disappointment.