Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:30:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Get Out (Horror film by Jordan Peele)

Started by up_the_hampipe, February 26, 2017, 09:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Ha, I edited that because it seemed a bit much.

I'm saying that the film makes it pretty clear that America is a racist country, and that the police are an integral part of that racism. Chris is very obviously scared of the cop and is used to complying with the police, and his white girlfriend picks up on the racial subtext and intervenes straight away. Every one of Chris's interactions is tinged with an awareness of his own race, the discomfort that he and 'Logan' feel in all-white environments is made plain throughout, and racism itself is explicitly discussed in several conversations.

If your parents haven't picked up on all that by the time the last two minutes roll, and can't figure out why Chris looks scared by the arrival of the cops, I don't think him being arrested or shot is going to illuminate anything. They'll just wonder why Chris suddenly got shot dead by the nice police man.

So with that in mind, no - a 'kill Chris' ending would be exactly the wrong move. The film wasn't make for people like your hypothetical parents. It was made for Americans, and presumably largely black Americans, all of whom will be aware of what it's trying to say even if they don't agree. Killing Chris doesn't say anything that the previous 90 minutes didn't already communicate, and it would leave an unpleasant taste in the mouth of most of the audience it's actually intended for.