Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:38:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Expanse (the SyFy series)

Started by Ant Farm Keyboard, February 26, 2017, 10:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: surreal on May 15, 2018, 04:35:58 PM
I had real problems following what was going on with the detective plot etc until about ep4 when it really kicked off - S1 does finish strongly though and S2 starts really well.

I've had no problems with the plot/script, just some of the performances. I've started Season 2 now and, so far, no sign of Anderson "P.H.Moriarty" Dawes and they've pulled in the script on the Naomi Nagata character to limit the damage from the actor. No such luck with the Chrisjen Avasarala character, though (as it's a crucial role). They seemed to have given up coaching her on English pronunciation (my guess is that she is a good actress but even after leaving Iran in 1979 most of her experience has been before Iranian audiences); she came up with the novel pronunciation of the the word "operative" as "o(as in "rose")perative(as in "imperative"). I sometimes get the feeling that she has no understanding of the words she speaks.

surreal

I think one of my favourite episodes of S2 shows the guy who developed the engine technology and his little, er, "mishap"...

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: surreal on May 16, 2018, 03:07:10 PM
I think one of my favourite episodes of S2 shows the guy who developed the engine technology and his little, er, "mishap"...

In addition to the main series of novels, the writers are also responsible for several short stories and novellas.
Both short stories, "Drive" (the Solomon Epstein story, which only gets alluded to in the first novel) and The Butcher of Anderson Station" have been written in the show, as flashbacks. You can read "Drive" for free here:

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/drive/

For the novellas, "The Churn" is also a prequel (it's an Amos Burton origin story set in Baltimore), while the other ones take place in-between the various novels. There are also two unreleased novellas that are still part of the contract for the series.
Apart from "Drive", all this related material has only been available as e-books, but the writers plan to collect them all once they're done with them.

And they've already signed with their usual publisher for a new, unrelated trilogy.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/11/16962264/the-expanse-author-james-sa-corey-science-fiction-space-opera-book-series

Phil_A

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2018, 02:05:15 PM
I've had no problems with the plot/script, just some of the performances. I've started Season 2 now and, so far, no sign of Anderson "P.H.Moriarty" Dawes and they've pulled in the script on the Naomi Nagata character to limit the damage from the actor. No such luck with the Chrisjen Avasarala character, though (as it's a crucial role). They seemed to have given up coaching her on English pronunciation (my guess is that she is a good actress but even after leaving Iran in 1979 most of her experience has been before Iranian audiences); she came up with the novel pronunciation of the the word "operative" as "o(as in "rose")perative(as in "imperative"). I sometimes get the feeling that she has no understanding of the words she speaks.

Every time Jared Harris was talking on screen I kept thinking of Adam Buxton's "gerybaboona" voice. HE MUST BE A BELTER OR SUTIN!

Mr Eggs

NoSleep

I thought Harris had come up with the accent himself, but another character (the Black Sky faction bloke that gets spaced by Fred Johnson early in season 2) turned up with almost the exact same weird blend of Jamaican & Scottish, so I guess it must be something they're forced to learn. Very odd.

Mr Eggs

NoSleep

Isn't Belter Creole the other language that many of the Belter characters slip into for the occasional phrase?

Mr Eggs

I thought you were moaning about why they spoke in odd dialects.

NoSleep

No, the accent of Jared Harris is hilarious but seems it is going to turn up on other characters. My main problem is the poor acting of Dominique Tipper (who speaks with an English accent in the series). Her standard of acting is what can usually be found in British children's TV.

Mr Eggs

NoSleep

I'm up to date on this now. Couldn't help myself binge-watching this over the last couple of days. Last week's episode rounded up a few story arcs quite nicely and led us on to what appears to be the main event of this season (spoilered); Eros & Venus appear to have spawned a protomolecule baby/planet/blob. Perhaps we have been given clues (by the writers) to the nature of the protomolecule by looking at their names; Eros being the primal god of love in Greek mythology, who also fires arrows like the protomolecule fired itself into Venus (Roman goddess of love) albeit after being redirected by Julie & Miller (who share a bond of love). Could be that the protomolecule comes seeking to create peace and it's only the tampering by man that has weaponised it. The question is; whether it would have done what it has now done on Venus if it had remained on course for Earth (and not caused a mass extinction, as was anticipated).

NoSleep

P.S. No need to comment on my conjecture; it's just my guess (and don't want any cryptic clues from readers of the books).

NoSleep

Ant Farm Keyboard

Mr Eggs

"Get the PDC's on that spunking cock...Earther...Bald...Near Liverpool...Wanking"

Ant Farm Keyboard

Season 4 is supposed to premiere on December 13. Meanwhile, Amazon has already ordered a fifth season.

It looks like that they could adapt books 4-6 in three seasons. The final three books may be more difficult to handle, given that they take place decades after the other ones.

mothman

I attempted a reread but seem to have sputtered out on Abaddon's Gate. Which I don't recall reading at all. I'm wondering whether I inadvertently skipped a book last time (whether or not I did, I didn't get any further last time; it was a while ago so there may not have been any more books at that point!).