Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:14:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pls Like

Started by Thewaddler, March 01, 2017, 05:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewaddler

Happened across this Liam Williams and Tim Key BBC3 show about vloggers and found it to be pretty funny. There's some really good performances in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZPY14u71mA

I've been really enjoying this. I find Tim Key excellent in most things and the parodies are spot on.

McQ

I also enjoy this!

I saw Liam Williams as one of the support acts for David Cross in Manchester a few years ago and I've been a big fan ever since. People Time (his turn as the overenthusiastic, aggressive one-upper is particularly great) and 2016: Year Friends are also very good.

BlodwynPig

The scent of ...Hogs

Brilliant stuff

Twed

Did they make up the vloggers? If so, great work. I believed in them in the intro. Looked up Charlie South and he doesn't seem to exist.

Janie Jones

Ah God, I can only watch this through latticed fingers, I have a mildly successful vlogger in my extended family pumping out relentlessly upbeat bollocks about the shite she gets sent to promote. This parody is so spot-on it makes me wince. Clever stuff.

Dr Syntax Head

One of those guys is the vampire guy in that advert.

Anyway, I like this[nb]I would do, I love sneering at cunts[/nb]. Tim Key is always a joy. The performances spot on.

Edit. THis is brilliant

The Joe Wicks parody elicited a chuckle, along with much else. If Nathan Barley was made in 2017 and was, well, good.

Twed

Didn't expect my favourite character to end up being Millipede.

Watched the first couple of episodes of this and really enjoyed it. The aesthetics of the Vlogging videos are absolutely spot on, and I wonder if that's an effect they had to strive for or whether television is moving into looking like an awful sunny advertisement anyway so it wasn't too much of a deviation from the house style. It pulls its punches a bit more than something like Nathan Barley but the depiction of Vloggers as superficially friendly but deeply self-interested and venal, while not exactly being a particularly creative observation, is occasionally brilliantly and subtly rendered. There's some fun lampooning of the sort of empty platitudes that Vloggers offer as self-help slogans and an admirable shot is directed at their apparent avocation of cultivating an exceptionally limited world view as some kind of positivity boosting mindset.

There's a bit of contrivance and plot duct-taping here and there but not overtly so. I like the observation that the one Vlogger that the main lad watches is some East Asian lady he fancies, because by massive coincidence (or is it?) that's same case with me. I'm subscribed to no other YouTubers except a lady of East Asian descent who I happen to think is very pretty and every time I see her videos turn up in my subscriptions I'm reminded of how much of a pathetic fool I can be because I'm not interested in her content at all unfortunately. So the inclusion of that idea as a detail in the series is a clever way of articulating how even the skeptical can be seduced by the image.

So yes, an interesting new comedy show. Hallelujah.

prwc

I'm really surprised, given the premise, title and it being a modern British comedy show how much I'm enjoying this. I've really enjoyed the bits of Liam Williams stand up I've subsequently watched, he was a new name to me too. Many thanks for the alerting me to it.

BlodwynPig

I see Bombzy and Coldplay were the only other act in the top 10 charts after Ed Ginger had 9 "singles"? / downloads occupying the majority of positions.

BlodwynPig

Is it Coldplay feat. Bombzy?

amnesiac

It's gone from iPlayer before I could see it! why do they do that.

Petey Pate

dr beat

Watched all but the last episode but have been loving this.  Yes I guess vlogging is an easy target in this day and age, but the level of observational detail, and the performances, raise this above the usual.  Its as much as a parody of the BBC3 presenting style as much as vlogging itself.  Indeed, Williams plays up on the cynicism and slight pretentiousness of his own 'outsider' persona.

Paul Calf

"For a long time I was using the insensitive night cream which I don't recommend because it caused me to have nightmares."

Vacuous fucks. This is brilliant stuff.

McQ

"...in this series, I, Liam Williams, a man who would rather live alone and sad forever than suffer the indignity of using dating apps..."

I feel like this show is aimed directly at me, sometimes.

Paul Calf

I love this very much.

ASFTSN

There's a comment on episode 3 that's like a ready made CaB tag:

A thousand views a day for a show by an oxbridge comedian making fun of the self made

zomgmouse

This is really quite good for the main part, a lot of moments that made me laugh a lot.
Spoiler alert
"Yoga position for when people unnecessarily criticise your privilege"
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
"has over 10 million subscribers, which to give you a sense of scale is roughly the number of military deaths in the first world war"
[close]
particularly stood out. Some of the "facts" are a bit naff and the plot-satire crossover doesn't always work but I've definitely been enjoying this a fair bit.

brat-sampson

Thanks for the push towards this, I watched the first five over a very pleasant 85m or so. Some really good lines and nailing/skewering of character types. I especially like how the main guy comes across as superior at first, and likely is in the long run, but in many ways is just as flawed as the rest, albeit in less immediately grating ways.

zomgmouse

Spoiler alert
"Sad Man Breaks YouTube"
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

I've been enjoying a great deal as well, does anyone know when the sixth episode goes online?

They're out every Saturday, so today. Adam Buxton tweeted a link to the first episode six weeks ago. Sad to see it end, but also hope there won't be a second series as the point has been made very well.

WestHill

Binged this and the excellent 2016 Year Friends in quick succession and got pretty excited about the mini-webisode model (anyone remember when people called them sit.comedies? Just me)

ASFTSN

"I've got egg in my mouth, it's not cooked!"

Not a bad little series this.  Where can I see more Liam Williams stuff?

McQ

The Comedy Blaps (terrible name) he did for Channel Four/YouTube are excellent. And there's a fair bit of his stand-up on there, also, including a video of him thrillingly failing to read the room at some kind of Radio One event thing where he reads some very bleak poetry.

People Time is on the BBC Shop.

2016 Year Friends is on Vimeo.