Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:56:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pls Like

Started by Thewaddler, March 01, 2017, 05:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 18, 2017, 09:13:36 AM
They're out every Saturday, so today. Adam Buxton tweeted a link to the first episode six weeks ago. Sad to see it end, but also hope there won't be a second series as the point has been made very well.

Quote from: notjosh on March 18, 2017, 10:14:02 AM
Last episode up now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHKvbTNDBbE&list=PL64ScZt2I7wFF538Kn0TRqDyv2TbNuemk&index=6

Thanks for that gentlemen, it's greatly appreciated. And I agree about there not being any need for a second season, but I would love for Liam Williams and Tim Key to team up again on something new.

BlodwynPig

on iplayer again now. saw the last two and I think Tech was probably the strongest. The last episode was more typical with a happy ending and didn't have as much bite, but still enjoyable.

amnesiac

yep back on iPlayer! ours it not to ask the whys or hows or even where iPlayer works. Watched and loved ep1 so far. Tim Key is just good isn't he, in anything he does. When he asks our man what Vlogging is and repeats each word also I want the breakfast he ordered.

The Charlie guy looks so much like one of the real ones I actually thought he was until some of his mannerisms/ looks to camera seemed a bit too much like acting.

It's a bit weird that most BBC things I watch these days are on !iii (!) after slating it like I thought we were all meant to.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: amnesiac on March 20, 2017, 09:45:09 AM
It's a bit weird that most BBC things I watch these days are on !iii (!) after slating it like I thought we were all meant to.

Same here...its not a bad little channel. Even the shit like Drug map of Britain has some merit (I've only seen the Newcastle one with the cheeky MDMA vampire cunt).

dr beat

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 20, 2017, 08:38:23 AM
on iplayer again now. saw the last two and I think Tech was probably the strongest. The last episode was more typical with a happy ending and didn't have as much bite, but still enjoyable.

As much as I've enjoyed this I thought it wrapped things up perhaps a bit too simply.  The start of the last episode suggested that
Spoiler alert
Tim Key's character might have a much more sinister side to him
[close]
, and I was wondering if
Spoiler alert
there might be a final last-minute twist, so that Williams didn't win after all
[close]

BlodwynPig

Quote from: dr beat on March 20, 2017, 10:52:48 PM
As much as I've enjoyed this I thought it wrapped things up perhaps a bit too simply.  The start of the last episode suggested that
Spoiler alert
Tim Key's character might have a much more sinister side to him
[close]
, and I was wondering if
Spoiler alert
there might be a final last-minute twist, so that Williams didn't win after all
[close]

Just a reminder that Millennials "don't do" twists.

notjosh

I liked the sincere happy ending. There's nothing really insidious about the rise of YouTubers is there? Just a bunch of kids mucking about and making a shit load of money.

Quote from: notjosh on March 21, 2017, 10:37:51 AM
I liked the sincere happy ending. There's nothing really insidious about the rise of YouTubers is there? Just a bunch of kids mucking about and making a shit load of money.

Yes, I liked the way the ending wasn't too arch or sneery.

Thought this was excellent but not sure if will stand up to repeated viewings, good timely fun though.

ASFTSN

Is Liam Williams 'droll'?  It seems like that's an applicable word here but I dunno if I'm using it properly.

amnesiac

I would sign off on droll.

BritishHobo

Proper late to this, but it's being advertised prominently on iPlayer which is great, because it was fucking brilliant. Most consistently I've laughed at anything in ages. Liam's as brilliant as ever - love his standup and always thrilled to see anything he does - and it's a great cast they've gathered. The vlogger parodies are spot-on, but I also love how much the show ultimately takes the piss out of Williams' Liam Williams character for how hollow his own trendy, superior, middle-class-radical take on it is. Like a lot of people here, I could see myself in it, so it was fun to see that get mocked and not treated as a superior perspective. Crying at his prolonged wittering about grime and how it represents the disenfranchisement of the working classes and so on.

Unexpectedly got into the characters, as well. I was half-hoping Liam and Millipede would end up together, which is a barmy world away from what I expected when I started.

McQ

Bumping this because Liam Williams has a new series on Radio 4 called Ladhood. It's a second series, though, I've not heard the first one yet, and it's nowhere to be found online. It's a strange feeling when something is unavailable on the internet, these days, isn't it? Anyone know if I need to have listened to the previous episodes before starting with the new ones? I seem to remember he used to have a dead link to download the first series on his website, but even that has disappeared now.

McQ

P.S. If WFMU can archive every show they've ever broadcast, then I fail to see why the BBC can't do the same! I had the same problem when I failed to listen to Josie Long's Romance and Adventure sitcom on Radio 4 before it dropped off the iPlayer. Sticks in my craw, I can tell you.

BritishHobo

Ah, don't even get me started. I've been trying for years to get ahold of a play they broadcast on the radio ages ago for Saturday Drama and repeated once in 2013 on Afternoon Drama. I trawled through their archives, I tried every possible method of communication (trying to find a way through their website to contact someone is an absolute ballache). Inevitably I took my eye off the ball and they repeated the fucking thing in January this year. I noticed in February, by which point it was once again completely inaccessible, no doubt to be repeated with no notice at half two in the morning sometime in June 2021.

I have the first series of Ladhood if anyone needs it

McQ

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on October 10, 2017, 01:04:06 PM

Yes please! That would be great, if you can. I'd really appreciate it! And then we can all meet back here and discuss it (and the episodes of series two that have aired so far).

ArtParrott

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on October 10, 2017, 01:04:06 PM

Aye, yes please, if you can. Thanks very much.

Le Tourbillon

I'd also be interested in the first series of Ladhood if possible please, having come to the Liam Williams party a little late.

I've also been reading his blog on his solo trip around Europe, if only for the excellently punned title: liamwilliamscomedy.blogspot.com

BritishHobo

I'd love 'em as well if you don't mind.

thegammonboys

Glad this is getting recognition. I think it's time this generation of comedians (Lolly Adefope, Emma Sidi, John Kearns, the Demetriou siblings- even David Earl) get a proper vehicle outside of the rigidity of panel shows, The Daily Mash and that obscure ITV2 show that no one watched last year. Something properly alternative like. Perhaps the internet has made the whole thing redundant though.

Ron Superior

I think it had its own thread but worth mentioning here you can listen to the three episodes of Captial, which Liam was great in: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:320264816/sounds.rss

Apparently there are more episodes coming soon.

idunnosomename

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 10, 2017, 12:44:03 PM
Ah, don't even get me started. I've been trying for years to get ahold of a play they broadcast on the radio ages ago for Saturday Drama and repeated once in 2013 on Afternoon Drama. I trawled through their archives, I tried every possible method of communication (trying to find a way through their website to contact someone is an absolute ballache). Inevitably I took my eye off the ball and they repeated the fucking thing in January this year. I noticed in February, by which point it was once again completely inaccessible, no doubt to be repeated with no notice at half two in the morning sometime in June 2021.

Yeah it sucks, but it's one thing paying some actors and a playwright for a play that goes out once, and then another for something that's perpetually available.

Have you tried Torrent sites? It's very easy to rip radio with Get iPlayer so it must be on someone's computer somewhere.

(You have sympathy because just noticed this morning that 10 days ago, Radio 3 repeated the new recording of Tom Stoppard's Artist Descending a Staircase that I missed when it went out in Jan 2016, so snagged it).

ps on topic listened to the first ep of Ladhood and it was great, best new radio comedy I've heard for ages.

BritishHobo

True. It can't entirely be down to them I suppose, because so many other plays on there are available to buy. But it's ridiculous how difficult it is to locate a way to contact them and even begin to ask if there's a way to get hold of it. I've tried multiple ways but never got any answer.

Anyway, both these shows are fantastic. It's always lovely to get high school stories from the perspective of people who were awkward and nervous about everything. But even moreso to hear teenage sex stories that include MSN, stupid text acronyms, and music like Listen to Your Heart by DHT that seemed to define my time in high school, all chipmunk dance covers of songs.

And Capital is fucking brilliant. I'm laughing non-stop listening to this. Is it improvised? They all inhabit their characters so well, and some of the confusing directions they take it are wonderful.

Quisby

What was the play British Hobo? I've got a lot of radio plays on a hard drive somewhere. I can check if I have it.

ASFTSN

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 18, 2017, 01:23:45 PM
And Capital is fucking brilliant. I'm laughing non-stop listening to this. Is it improvised? They all inhabit their characters so well, and some of the confusing directions they take it are wonderful.

Yep - not too fucking shabby!  Apparently it is improvised from a list of bullet points.  Although I'm betting 'Shepherds Pie and....bread" wasn't on the list!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Quisby on October 18, 2017, 02:04:01 PM
What was the play British Hobo? I've got a lot of radio plays on a hard drive somewhere. I can check if I have it.

Yeah, let us know the name of the play and, if possible, the days it went out on if you can find the old schedules. I have, erm, "methods".

Ron Superior

Speaking of that, there was a thread a little while ago that had some sort of archive of a load of old radio shows but I can't remember What it was. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

BritishHobo

It was Strike for a Kingdom, but another lovely CaBer did manage to find it. Thanks so much for the offers!

If you happen to have The Small Mine (went out April 14th 2003) somewhere though...

ASFTSN

Quote from: McQ on October 10, 2017, 11:41:15 AM
Bumping this because Liam Williams has a new series on Radio 4 called Ladhood.

Having listened to all of the first series and the current two of the second, this definitely takes a step up in series 2.  Probably because Liam Williams is covering the period of his adolesence where he can voice his own character.  Good stuff.

Phil_A

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 10, 2017, 12:44:03 PM

Don't want to get your hopes up but I have got a fair bit of stuff downloaded from that era, gimme a name and I'll check if I've got it when I'm home.