Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:51:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pls Like

Started by Thewaddler, March 01, 2017, 05:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtParrott

Quote from: ASFTSN on October 19, 2017, 10:54:55 AM
Having listened to all of the first series and the current two of the second, this definitely takes a step up in series 2.  Probably because Liam Williams is covering the period of his adolesence where he can voice his own character.  Good stuff.

I can't disagree that it's nicer to have more Williams for your buck in the new series, but I think I preferred the first series for it's suburban bleakness over the Oxbridge eliteness. Not to say I'm not enjoying this second series although the Bacchanalian episode didn't quite ring as true to me.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Phil_A on October 19, 2017, 01:49:17 PM
Don't want to get your hopes up but I have got a fair bit of stuff downloaded from that era, gimme a name and I'll check if I've got it when I'm home.

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 18, 2017, 07:25:09 PM
It was Strike for a Kingdom, but another lovely CaBer did manage to find it. Thanks so much for the offers!

If you happen to have The Small Mine (went out April 14th 2003) somewhere though...

BritishHobo

Capital is back on Monday. A short recap's gone up, explaining it'll run for another three episodes, with the finale on Christmas Day.

Ron Superior

Yes, very excited it's back!

ASFTSN

Just listened to the new episode (#4) of Capital, does not disappoint.  As silly and ever-so-slightly disturbing as ever.  Last one there's a bloody bib.

BritishHobo

The extended runtime has been brilliant, they're properly packed and dynamic. Last week's prison episode was genuinely tense and dramatic stuff, which is amazing. I'm really loving some of the stupid running jokes as well, like Charlotte's obsession with sleep or Adam's stories going on forever. Charlotte's really been hilarious in this. Their therapist saying nobody feels like they've met Charlotte yet, don't really know who she is, and then her coming back upbeat with 'Charlotte Quince-Wheatly!'

Hoping to listen to the last episode tomorrow night after everyone falls asleep. I quite like the idea of listening to the hanging (or not, depending what happens) on the day it's supposed to happen.

Ron Superior

Yeah, these new episodes have been a bit broader than the earlier ones, but no worse for it. Really funny.

Twit 2

Someone just recommend this guy/series to me and after watching some stand up and the first ep of pls like I can conclude he is very good. Plus he looks like a combination of Viggo Mortensen and Nick Tilsley off Corrie.

BritishHobo

Forgot to say about the last episode of Capital. Ended up getting to listen on Christmas day while everyone was still asleep. Fuckin cracking stuff. Not sure a second series would make too much sense (although I'm sure they'd pull it off), but I hope the team continue working together.

Seeing Liam in Machynlleth, too. Can't wait.

gabrielconroy

I watched all the Pls Like yesterday, then listened to all of Capital then and today. I enjoyed it all very much. Williams has got a good line in slightly exasperated, slightly pompous absurdity going.

Where did people find the first series of Ladhood, by the way? I can't see it anywhere and think I should probably listen to it from the start.

ASFTSN

Quote from: gabrielconroy on April 09, 2018, 06:47:24 PM
Where did people find the first series of Ladhood, by the way? I can't see it anywhere and think I should probably listen to it from the start.

PM'd

thegammonboys

Quote from: ASFTSN on April 10, 2018, 05:09:31 PM
PM'd

Could you share the wealth please? Much appreciated.

Small Man Big Horse

A second series of this has just been announced: https://www.comedy.co.uk/online/news/3145/pls_like_series_2/

QuotePls Like Series 2 confirmed

The first series of the comedy, which stars Liam Williams, Tim Key, Jon Pointing and Emma Sidi, was nominated for a BAFTA earlier this year. The mockumentary follows struggling comedian Liam (Williams, playing fictional version of himself), who must undertake a series of video challenges in order to win a £10,000 competition prize. He is reluctant to get involved, but needs the money.

With the help of established YouTubers Charlie South and Millipede (Pointing and Sidi), as well as Talent Manager James Wirm (Key), Liam must undertake a series of challenges to see if he has what it takes to become the next big vlogger. The BBC says: "After the (even-handed) satirical bloodbath of Pls Like Series 1, it's frankly astonishing to see that the egos of the world's biggest YouTubers are continuing to grow more rapidly than the UK's high-speed internet infrastructure.

"Vloggers are selling £50 advent calendars, posting racist videos and filming dead bodies. And if that weren't enough, algorithms are now failing to stop extremist material reaching a global audience while also, separately, traumatising children with fake Peppa Pig videos." Series 2 will see Hammed Animashaun return as Johnny Jackson and Ellie White will play Polly Sprong again. The second series will also feature Tom Stourton, Tash Demetriou, Arnab Chanda, Shivani Thussu and Grace Hogg as characters.

Pls Like Series 2 will be on BBC Three later this year.

BritishHobo

Holy shit! Fucking cracking news. I assumed this was intentionally a one-off with no plans for more, so this is a wonderful joyful fuckin surprise.

Be fun if it's genuinely gonna look at some of the darker shit that's going on, as hinted at there. Be fun if it isn, too. Fuck I loved this.

BritishHobo

Beagle 2

I don't really see the need for a second series of this to be honest, but I'm glad to see Liam Williams getting more work. I just want more Capital, or some other improvised work with that group!

dr beat

Yes I thought the first series wrapped things up fairly definitively, but what the hell this is a nice surprise.  Its a bit unclear from that statement what form this series will take and also whether Tim Key will appear in it again.  I'd probably prefer the second series to follow a different route.

Bhazor

Just caught up with the first series. High hopes for the new series as youtube celebrities make Nathan Barley look like a positive utopia by contrast.

I was also reminded of the news of a Vlogger couple breaking up making it onto the front page of BBC news two weeks ago.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-44368581

If that's not a sign of the end times I don't know what is.

Twed

I thought the video in the article seemed quite healthy and not enraging.

Bhazor

Honestly the only complaint I have with the show is that now a bunch of BBC3 vlogger shite is appearing on my Youtube recommend list. Try and count the layers of irony on that.

Jock Macabre

Saw the first episode of the vlogger mockumentary on youtube, which ultimately led me to check out a bunch Williams' other stuff on there. He's really quite good, isn't he? Can't believe I've only just encountered his work.
Will check out the remainder of the Pls Like episodes. Sounds like it remained solid throughout.