Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:06:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Annoying video review tropes

Started by HappyTree, March 06, 2017, 08:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTree

Well, not sure if this can be stretched to a thread, but in the spirit of why not just start a thread, here is my pet peeve.

Seeing the reviewer. Usually in a little box PIP'd onto the screen. Sometimes a rectangle, or they've done some masking. Whatever it is, really dude I don't care what you look like. I don't need to see you at all. I want to know about the game. Sure, comment, review, give opinion. That's why I clicked on it. But STFU with all that hey you guyzzzz nonsense. I don't need to see you bob your head about in desperate enthusiasm. Just clear out of the screen area and let me see the game.

Lemming

If I ever do a video review, I'm taking that reviewer-on-screen concept to the next level. It's just going to be my hideous face across the entire screen, with the actual game in a tiny blurred 20 pixel by 20 pixel box in the corner.

Penfold

Channels with Angry in the name.

Although AVGN is alright.

marquis_de_sad

Right now so many people just upload raw livestreams, which is lazy. You have to sit through 10 minutes of them logging in, sorting out any sound issues, delays, etc. Once that's all done the exhilarating experience of watching someone try to play a game and think of something to say at the same time can begin. "This is... um... the gameplay is really... when you're... shit! ...when you're moving you really feel... the... No, kekcuck88, this is the PC version... when you're moving you can really... um... Oh, thank you, pre- err... precumflamingofist for the $5... so, the gameplay... is really... what was I talking about?" and on and on and on.

HappyTree

Quote from: Lemming on March 06, 2017, 11:55:54 PM
If I ever do a video review, I'm taking that reviewer-on-screen concept to the next level. It's just going to be my hideous face across the entire screen, with the actual game in a tiny blurred 20 pixel by 20 pixel box in the corner.
Now this I would watch.

Replies From View

The phrase "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??"  And just any of that faux-anger or Ashens-style sarcasm when something isn't good but they were never expecting it to be good anyway.

stanburdman used to be quite original but has gone down this tedious route in recent years.  All of his "worst game ever" reviews are identical.

Twed

I don't know why I watched The Nostalgia Critic's take on Drop Dead Fred, as I fucking hate The Nostalgia Critic and everybody like him, but it's a particularly good example of somebody being willfully ignorant for the end goal of having a figure that can be ridiculed (in this case Rik Mayall). The behaviour of a shit bully. His entire schtick was "who is this Mayall schlub?". Well, if you spent three minutes on Wikipedia you'd see that five seconds of him is funnier than your entire career of loudly calling things shit.

Penfold

Quote from: Twed on March 08, 2017, 06:48:42 PM
I don't know why I watched The Nostalgia Critic's take on Drop Dead Fred, as I fucking hate The Nostalgia Critic and everybody like him, but it's a particularly good example of somebody being willfully ignorant for the end goal of having a figure that can be ridiculed (in this case Rik Mayall). The behaviour of a shit bully. His entire schtick was "who is this Mayall schlub?". Well, if you spent three minutes on Wikipedia you'd see that five seconds of him is funnier than your entire career of loudly calling things shit.

Wilfully ignoring things for a crap joke is the main reason I hate CinemaSins and spend 30 minutes a time watching videos that breakdown how crap they are.

This one manages it in less than five.[nb]I can't remember if I first saw that as a link from here or as a youtube recommendation.[/nb]

HappyTree

I think I just hate all vloggers in general.

madhair60

HappyTree

Twed

Quote from: Twed on March 08, 2017, 06:48:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tefhCWeiOc God I forgot how bad this was. I really hate this prick, immediately sneering about the titles being written in crayon, as if that happened because everybody involved in the movie is childlike and stupid, and not as a stylistic choice. Sneery fucking dipshit.

"So she falls asleep in her own bed. It turns out Mommy builds her room with a flux capacitor, as she goes back in time and remembers when she was a child."

No, that's just regular remembering.

Mayall appears. Mayall acts in a childish and manic way, which is precisely his role. Fuckface's reaction: "Please tell me that's not the performance you're going with!".

What would your direction be? Please, tell me how he could have better inhabited the exact role he was given. I really want to know what you--a sneering victim of a witch's spell that replaced your head with a joint of gammon--would prefer here instead.

Then he makes this face as a reaction to Mayall wiping his bogey on a finger and then on Phoebe Cate's face as she remains unimpressed:

Honest-to-god, this fucking face as he completely misses the point about how Drop Dead Fred's sense of humour is childish and unfunny to adults and not meant to be taken at face value.

Twed

God I'm so angry about this prick

Twed

He doesn't even find it funny when Fred kicks Phoebe Cates in the leg and runs away as a way of winning an argument.

HappyTree

Complaining that Rik Mayall is being childish and manic, lol. Like hell-o America.

See that cunt Andy Kaufman? Why's he messing around? #confused.com

madhair60

The Nostalgia Critic is waste. He is waste. Doug Walker - waste. Silent screams into a void. Everything you need to know about him can be discerned from the opening titles. The music, him standing there with his gun - they always have a gun. Doug Walker, standing on the edge of a cliff. Expressionless. One foot hanging over the abyss. Doug Walker lying in an open grave, weeping. Doug Walker posting a fifty-minute video about Paranorman. Doug Walker asking the questions we all lay awake at night thinking about. "Has Spongebob Squarepants gone downhill?" Thumbnail with a picture of Spongebob and there's Doug, hand on chin, like "hmmm", having a good old analyse of a children's cartoon. Doug Walker, standing at your front door, pressed against the glass, eyes milky white, no pupils, unearthly moan. Cameo appearance from another reviewer in a Doug Walker video. Doug Walker, the Nostalgia Critic, sweating. He's got a gun. Doug Walker. Doug Walker. Doug Walker. Doug Walker. Seven-hour feature film starring Doug Walker and his contributors. Doug Walker shunting. Screaming no sound. End my life, let me stop. Doug Walker soaking in the bath, wracking sobs.

greenman

The obvious weakness for pretty much all youtube reviewers tends to me that they play to their audience excessively rather than attempting to inform them. Indeed I think that's fed significantly into reviewing in general that often as not is just a reflection of the hype before something was released.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Twed on March 09, 2017, 12:34:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tefhCWeiOc God I forgot how bad this was. I really hate this prick, immediately sneering about the titles being written in crayon, as if that happened because everybody involved in the movie is childlike and stupid, and not as a stylistic choice. Sneery fucking dipshit.
Dreadful.

'We cut to a mere twenty one years later' Yes how stupid. A movie cutting to later on. What a total piece of shit. I mean, what are we supposed to, just MAKE UP what happened in that period?? Yes, okay, thanks Mr """""Director""""", I'll just sit right here and do your job for you! While I'm at it, how about I think up some JOKES for you?!?!?!! In fact why don't I just watch SOMETHING. ELSE.

Don't forget to like and subscribe.

Van Dammage

Those cinema sins pisstake videos are excellent. Particularly the Casablanca one.

colacentral

I sometimes wonder why there hasn't been a serial killer who targets people I despise. Just imagine The Youtube Killer.

Twed

Quote from: colacentral on March 10, 2017, 10:13:46 PM
I sometimes wonder why there hasn't been a serial killer who targets people I despise. Just imagine The Youtube Killer.
That would be good, because non-killed-yet YouTube stars would say stuff like "we won't let terrorism win, we'll keep doing what we're doing!" which is hilarious when you consider what it is they actually do.

Brundle-Fly

What I've noticed about a lot of these American comedy vloggers is that they all seem to share the same preppy, nerdy, passive-sarcastic, faux-incredulous, bespectacled personas. The Cracked folks are like this too.  I'm not saying their observations aren't funny or doubt their passion for pop culture but the snappy and ironic self-effacement really does pall after a few videos. This attitude is funnier to read in the Cracked articles but spoken out loud comes over so dislikable for me.

I was looking at this channel last night and again, some funny ideas but the smarty pants ironic presentation grates on me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKZo4N0lVPccBkSiuyVh4yg

Billy

Someone's done the genre-reversal parody before, right? Where they review a load of genuinely awesome films/games and act in a Nostalgia Critic/AVGN way as if they're the shittest thing ever? Asking who this 'Mario' guy is or why this Shawshank thing is so long and boring?

If so link here please thx.

popcorn

Quote from: Billy on March 11, 2017, 02:07:39 AM
Someone's done the genre-reversal parody before, right? Where they review a load of genuinely awesome films/games and act in a Nostalgia Critic/AVGN way as if they're the shittest thing ever? Asking who this 'Mario' guy is or why this Shawshank thing is so long and boring?

If so link here please thx.

Quote from: Penfold on March 08, 2017, 07:12:16 PM
Wilfully ignoring things for a crap joke is the main reason I hate CinemaSins and spend 30 minutes a time watching videos that breakdown how crap they are.

This one manages it in less than five.[nb]I can't remember if I first saw that as a link from here or as a youtube recommendation.[/nb]

machotrouts

I tell you what I hate, when people wilfully ignore things for a crap joke. I haven't read any posts in this thread but I assume nobody's said that yet

Pit-Pat

Some Liverpudlian's done four videos about how dreadful CinemaSins is that I find bizarrely comforting viewing. It's quite extraordinary how often he's able to point out huge, crucial plot points that CinemaSins just hasn't noticed in order to notch up another "sin"

Bacon

that nostalgia critic cunt or cinema sins cunt addressing the movie as if it were a person 'Hey movie, did you really think it was a good idea to fuck off ya cunt

nostalgia critic is the worst, screeching in falsetto 'bad movie! bad movie!' whilst pretending to hit the camera with a shoe or some shite

I've just remembered his top south park episodes list. Number one was 'osama bin laden has farty pants' not a bad episode by any means but the reasoning he gives for why it is the number one episode of all time is cringe inducing attempted yankee heart string snapping wank

27 mins onward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyZacZPzOS8

QDRPHNC

Sometimes all you need to do is notice how someone looks to figure out if they're a twat. It's sad but it's true.

Petey Pate

Fatal Farm did a pretty good pisstake of Nostalgia Critic in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazkVxCGXgA&

There's also this by our own madhair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md7Br50kZX8&;