Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:52:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

which is the WORST?

Started by the science eel, March 07, 2017, 11:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

??

London Calling
Dark Side of the Moon
Nevermind
Sticky Fingers
Morrison Hotel

the science eel

Fucking awful shit by bands that had some glorious peaks - BUT AT OTHER TIMES

Which is the worst?

Brundle-Fly

Are you saying that the albums in that poll represent the WORST of their output?

the science eel

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 08, 2017, 09:23:43 AM
Are you saying that the albums in that poll represent the WORST of their output?

NO

but

Black_Bart

1. Over rated by grammar school punks
2. Over rated by grammar school hippies
3. Over rated by grammar school hippy punks
4. Over rated by grammar school smack heads
5. Over rated by grammar school mummies boys

Neville Chamberlain

In the spirit of the first tag, I'd like to nominate Code:Selfish as the worst Fall album.

Icehaven

Quote from: Black_Bart on March 08, 2017, 10:26:25 AM

3. Over rated by grammar school hippy punks

Were there any hippies, punks or grammar schools left by 1991?

Dr Syntax Head

Fuck Nevermind. I mean really fuck nevermind. It's not the revolutionary record lazy middle class white kids thought it was. IN Utero however is a masterpeice.

Dark side is 50% class (any colour you like, money, breathe, basically all the Gilmour guitar stuff) and 50% not needed to be heard anymore.

The Doors only had one good album despite one or two singles later on. And that album was The Doors

London Calling has a great title track but I couldn't tell you what the rest of the album sounds like, I have heard it, it just didn't stick with me.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on March 08, 2017, 01:15:11 PM
Were there any hippies, punks or grammar schools left by 1991?

yes

Icehaven

Howj Begg

London Calling and Sticky Fingers are both two of the best albums ever, so *shrug*

pigamus

I was at grammar school in 1991. I remember pencil cases with the PWEI Pepsi logo on them, and bellowing out Jeremy by Pearl Jam on a school coach trip. Also this immortal joke, inspired by our RE teacher, who raised funds for a cot death charity: 'I know what I want/And I want it now/I want Cot Fund/'Cos I'm Mr Payne'.

Brundle-Fly

London Calling I loved at the time. Always an unfashionable opinion, but I much preferred their musical dabblings outside of their 'punk rock' stylings of which LC was a move towards.

But to appease any rock snobs, I only really like Pink Floyd Syd Barrett-era and for years avoided Dark Side Of The Moon like the plague.  I've listened to it since and quite enjoy it without all that beardy baggage. Money still makes me think of the Are You Being Served? theme tune and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Nevermind and Grunge in general, completely passed me by but what sort of frump doesn't smile on hearing 'Smells' being blared out some loud speakers?. [grabs tin hat]

Know all the hits but have always been really out the loop with Doors/ Stones albums. Not going to start now. Too much like homework for MOJO readers.

Black_Bart

QuoteOh. Maybe just not in Coventry

What, grammar schools or hippy punks?

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 08, 2017, 02:10:12 PM
Nevermind and Grunge in general, completely passed me by but what sort of frump doesn't smile on hearing 'Smells' being blared out some loud speakers?. [grabs tin hat]

I was deep in to the grunge thing at the time, being 16 when it got big was ace. But hearing SLTS makes me want to throw my speakers out the window. And it's not just because it's overplayed. Territorial Pissings though, now that's a jam

Repeater

Some fucking belters there (Nevermind, Sticky Fingers), some crackers which I've no listened to enough (Morrison Hotel, London Calling) and maybe my favorite album ever* (Dark Sider Yer Moon).

*Number 3 really behind Tonight's Yer Night and Exile on Main St respectively.

Icehaven

Quote from: Black_Bart on March 08, 2017, 02:14:58 PM
What, grammar schools or hippy punks?

Both. Unless liking Jesus Jones and/or Carter USM makes you a hippy punk, in which case there might have been about 3 of them.

Black_Bart

QuoteBoth. Unless liking Jesus Jones and/or Carter USM makes you a hippy punk, in which case there might have been about 3 of them.

Hippy Punk is more of a crusty thing. Are you sure there aren't any grammar school in Coventry?

Icehaven

Quote from: Black_Bart on March 08, 2017, 03:15:47 PM
Hippy Punk is more of a crusty thing. Are you sure there aren't any grammar school in Coventry?

Nope. Two private ones, but no grammars. There weren't in 1991 either. I started secondary school in 1990 and went to one of the private schools (on an assisted place), and had there been a grammar back then I daresay my Mother would have put me up for the 11 plus as well as/instead of taking the entrance exam for a school I wouldn't be able to attend without having the fees paid by a government scheme (which you couldn't apply for until you'd got a place). A few friends I met in my mid-teens went to a grammar in Stratford, which is near-ish, and there probably is/was a few in Brum, but nay in Coventry.

Black_Bart

I thought there was at least one grammar left in each city. We got one here (Joe Strummer used to go there), but all the people I've met who came from there... Well, let's say that I'm surprised they passed the "11 plus".

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Black_Bart on March 08, 2017, 03:15:47 PM

Jesus Jones were a bit clean to be crusty if I recall. They were on a similar level to EMF. Both bands I like BTW. Carter were ace an' all.

The direction this discussion has gone has got me all nostalgic like

Icehaven

Quote from: Black_Bart on March 08, 2017, 03:40:30 PM
I thought there was at least one grammar left in each city. We got one here (Joe Strummer used to go there), but all the people I've met who came from there... Well, let's say that I'm surprised they passed the "11 plus".

My Mum went to one, Barr's Hill, but that was in the 1950's, and while the school is still there it definitely hasn't been a grammar since way before 1991. There's some very good comps (Bluecoats, Bishop Ullathorne, others) though, so maybe that's why there's no grammar. Bluecoat's is particularly good and seems to take children from a surprisingly broad 'catchment' area (I think religion is supposedly vaguely involved...) so while it's ostensibly a comprehensive it's still managed to manouever a certain selectiveness. 

Black_Bart

QuoteThere's some very good comps (Bluecoats, Bishop Ullathorne, others) though.   

Doesn't sound you need any then. (Looks at political establishment)

Anyway, back to the thread I suppose...

Icehaven

Quote from: Black_Bart on March 08, 2017, 03:48:56 PM
Doesn't sound you need any then. (Looks at political establishment)

Oh I don't live there anymore! I'm not a total savage.

Black_Bart

QuoteOh I don't live there anymore! I'm not a total savage.

I should inform you that 1. the Specials 2. Bolt Thrower 3. Lt Pigeon all come from Coventry. (But it's good you got out).

pigamus

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Aimless unfocused proposition
Boring choices
No novelty value or fun or point

A career in musical print journalism beckons.

biggytitbo

I'd have had some King Kongs as one of the options.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 08, 2017, 01:22:53 PM
The Doors only had one good album despite one or two singles later on. And that album was The Doors

Not true. Strange Days is top drawer night time listening.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 08, 2017, 02:10:12 PM
Know all the hits but have always been really out the loop with Doors/ Stones albums. Not going to start now. Too much like homework for MOJO readers.

See above. Worth the not-very-much effort.

e.g. I Can't See Your Face In My Mind: https://youtu.be/70S3HywhRzs?t=20m44s

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 08, 2017, 07:17:55 PM
Not true. Strange Days is top drawer night time listening.

To be fair the last time I really appreciated the Doors was back in 1994 when I thought I was Jim Morrison before I grew up and got a life. If I heard that album now i'd probably love it