Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:56:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

which is the WORST?

Started by the science eel, March 07, 2017, 11:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

??

London Calling
Dark Side of the Moon
Nevermind
Sticky Fingers
Morrison Hotel

Kane Jones

Strange Days is definitely the best Doors album.

Dr Syntax Head

Does it have Riders on the Storm on it?

Van Dammage

Some of these albums are great, and hardly the worst from the bands.

mr beepbap

Hard to call it between the first 2 Doors albums. The 1st side of  The Doors got classic after classic track on it though and When The Music's Over bit of 2nd choice epic track to The End . Some great tracks on Strange Days too though. LA Woman amazing also -this and the 1st 2 the  best 3. LA Woman so different to the early albums it's hard to compare

Serge

You're all wrong, as 'Waiting For The Sun' is the best Doors album.

SteveDave

Morrison Hotel because there are no good Doors albums.

Endicott

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 08, 2017, 02:10:12 PM
London Calling I loved at the time. Always an unfashionable opinion, but I much preferred their musical dabblings outside of their 'punk rock' stylings of which LC was a move towards.

It could almost be called a normal opinion.

But to appease any rock snobs, I only really like Pink Floyd Syd Barrett-era and for years avoided Dark Side Of The Moon like the plague.  I've listened to it since and quite enjoy it without all that beardy baggage. Money still makes me think of the Are You Being Served? theme tune and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Money was used as the theme tune to Radio Four's Money Box programme which was on a lot when I was a nipper.

manticore

Quote from: the science eel on March 07, 2017, 11:18:24 PM
Fucking awful shit by bands that had some glorious peaks - BUT AT OTHER TIMES

I think I divine that there's a certain tendency to hard rocking rocky rockist type music that you hate, Eel (except for Pink Floyd of course). If so, I tend to agree, apart from London Calling, which has a lighter touch, to my ears.

the science eel

Quote from: manticore on March 08, 2017, 11:21:23 PM
I think I divine that there's a certain tendency to hard rocking rocky rockist type music that you hate, Eel (except for Pink Floyd of course). If so, I tend to agree, apart from London Calling, which has a lighter touch, to my ears.

That's one way of looking at it! I've never understood the appeal. 'Lost In The Supermarket', for example, sounds so anaemic after the first two albums.

purlieu

Quote from: Serge on March 08, 2017, 10:17:55 PM
You're all wrong, as 'Waiting For The Sun' is the best Doors album.
Yeah, lovely record. It and Strange Days I really like. Never got the love for the self-titled. But, just like Joy Division, I find it difficult to listen to them without having all the scary obsessive fanbase going round my head and ruining it all.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 08, 2017, 01:22:53 PM
The Doors only had one good album despite one or two singles later on. And that album was The Doors

I prefer Strange Days, it's a slightly stronger album overall. However, I agree that, Roadhouse Blues aside, Morrison Hotel is generally quite dull and forgettable.

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on March 08, 2017, 12:50:58 PM
In the spirit of the first tag, I'd like to nominate Code:Selfish as the worst Fall album.

What, worse than Ersatz GB?

hedgehog90

People who go on about how The Doors were shit and overrated - go away.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: hedgehog90 on March 10, 2017, 02:32:54 AM
People who go on about how The Doors were shit and overrated - go away.

Damn right. I think it's the 'Oasis syndrome' where people hate on a band because their frontman is a bit too good at being a rock star and people get jealous

the science eel

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 10, 2017, 04:19:08 PM
Damn right. I think it's the 'Oasis syndrome' where people hate on a band because their frontman is a bit too good at being a rock star and people get jealous

or because Jim wrote 'sixth-form poetry'

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: the science eel on March 10, 2017, 04:26:47 PM
or because Jim wrote 'sixth-form poetry'

I liked the mum fucking song.

In seriousness though, Oasis[nb]fuck off with the Oasis Syntax[/nb] had some shite lyrics but that's not important in that kind rock and roll

the science eel

Lyrics are almost never important.

And when they are, the music isn't worth listening to.

Dr Syntax Head

I genuinely agree with that. It's rare i'm interested in any lyrics. Not being able to write them is probably why. I tried once, made Jim Morrison's lyrics sound like Keats

the science eel

I sort of like Beefheart's lyrics. Mark E. too. And Bryan Ferry. But they're all very much secondary to the music.

Dr Syntax Head

Mark E is great with lyrics. That dude from Half Man Half Biscuit is ace too. Westward Ho! Massive Letdown is the only song I have memorised. Because I really annoyed Mrs Syntax by singing it continually on a camping trip in Cornwall

QuoteA devon cream tea around half past 3 will be splendid

manticore

I think it's generally one or two key phrases arising out of the jumble, working with the music to give you a vibe, create some images in your head.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: the science eel on March 10, 2017, 04:38:08 PM
Lyrics are almost never important.

And when they are, the music isn't worth listening to.

That's a very illiberal way of enjoying music. 

Black_Bart

Quoteor because Jim wrote 'sixth-form poetry'

Copied the work of poets who are studied by sixth-formers.

Doors are over rated, tho' not shit.

Everything's overrated nowadays. I remain coolly aloof about the things I like, and I choose to indicate this at every possible opportunity.

Howj Begg

For me, the best and worst thing abut the Doors is - the band. Most frontmen are tolerable, even ignorable or irrrelevant, if the band is good. And when The Doors are good, which is about 1/6 of the time, the band is inventive, surprising, dreamily gothic and menacing, and a delightful garage-jazz fusion. When they're bad, they're boring, stiff, samey, lacking in ideas, and, Manzarek included, musically poor. Really is not about Morrison for me, although lets be fair he doesn't make them any more attractive to listen to when the music's (over) uninteresting.

For me the best thing Morrison did is the influence he had on Nico...

purlieu

The reason I don't get the Doors hype is because I don't find the music that great. Like I said, Strange Days and Waiting for the Sun have some lovely moments, but I never heard anything in them that stood out as anything special. Decent, but doesn't excite me.

Also lol at the lyric discussion. Music comes first for me, but outright dismissing lyrics altogether is just daft.

Dr Syntax Head

I think the Doors would have been far better to listen to in sunny California during the 60s. It's quite of it's time music I think.

non capisco

Jim Morrison's got some pipes on him but the music sounds like Dracula mucking about after a bifter. That's my hot take on The Doors, guys!

Icehaven

Lyrics are secondary to the music but they definitely matter, particularly when they're bad. I've heard plenty of otherwise great music ruined by an awful sore thumb line or awkward, clunky phrase.   

the science eel

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 10, 2017, 04:48:39 PM
Mark E is great with lyrics.

Up to a point. I remember hearing 'microcosms come and go' and thinking 'he's really lost it'.

And he thinks they're some of his best! he's done 'spoken word' with them. Sad, actually.