Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:54:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

which is the WORST?

Started by the science eel, March 07, 2017, 11:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

??

London Calling
Dark Side of the Moon
Nevermind
Sticky Fingers
Morrison Hotel

Jockice

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on March 08, 2017, 12:50:58 PM
In the spirit of the first tag, I'd like to nominate Code:Selfish as the worst Fall album.

Bollocks it is. Not as long as Cerebral Caustic and Ersatz GB exist.

New page person who really does think The Doors were shit.

armful

Morrison  Hotel is an album  I have not thought about in years. Like a lot of people I went through a Doors  stage in my teens, I then went off them and  lost  all my albums. Apart from the soft Parade which  I still  enjoy from time to  time. Looking at the track listing for Morrison Hotel  it certainly wasn't their greatest album.  But I remember Peace Frog being an amazing song, so  I may need to revisit that song at least

Bingo Fury

I haven't heard Morrison Hotel for at least 30 years. All I can remember is liking "Land Ho", if that's even what it was called.

Black_Bart

Road house Blues is good (there is the two Doors tho', the twinkling psych Doors and the Blooze Doors).

But he was shit jamming with Hendrix.

armful

Land Ho is on that album.

The live version of roadhouse blues from the greatest hits is cool. Although it is  slightly ruined at the end as Jim does some right on chat about astrology and a shit house going
up in flames

the science eel

'Land Ho' is OK, so is 'Queen Of The Highway'.

The rest is absolute shite.

mr beepbap

Ha I would have said Land Ho and Queen were 2 of the weakest to be honest.
John Densmore said that. Queen was the one time he felt that the other Doors let Jim down with mediocre  music

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: armful on March 16, 2017, 12:47:02 PM
Land Ho is on that album.

The live version of roadhouse blues from the greatest hits is cool. Although it is  slightly ruined at the end as Jim does some right on chat about astrology and a shit house going
up in flames

It's not a right-on chat about astrology, he's taking the piss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLzxRyjOZj8

Quote from: mr beepbap on March 16, 2017, 05:16:58 PM
Ha I would have said Land Ho and Queen were 2 of the weakest to be honest.
John Densmore said that. Queen was the one time he felt that the other Doors let Jim down with mediocre  music

You're right, as was Densmore. The band sound barely inspired on those songs, they're just going through the motions.

Also, I disagree - vehemently! - with an earlier disparaging comment about Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore's musicianship.  Few rock bands of their generation were capable of conjuring such tight, subtle, hypnotic grooves.

For all Morrison's melodramatic bluster, the musicians never over-indulged themselves, even while improvising on stage. That's always been part of their appeal for me - there's a lot of space and intensity in those extended solos. They never sound flabby.

Dr Syntax Head

There was a lot of taste in the musicianship for sure but that's probably because they were primarily from a jazz background musically.

I still can't listen to Light my Fire however as it's been forever ruined by it's ubiquity

armful

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 16, 2017, 06:54:38 PM
It's not a right-on chat about astrology, he's taking the piss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLzxRyjOZj8

You're right, as was Densmore. The band sound barely inspired on those songs, they're just going through the motions.

Also, I disagree - vehemently! - with an earlier disparaging comment about Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore's musicianship.  Few rock bands of their generation were capable of conjuring such tight, subtle, hypnotic grooves.

For all Morrison's melodramatic bluster, the musicians never over-indulged themselves, even while improvising on stage. That's always been part of their appeal for me - there's a lot of space and intensity in those extended solos. They never sound flabby.

Oh yeah so  he is. Like I say I have not heard the Doors for years (apart from the Soft Parade ). Jim did have quite a cool live voice, and peace frog is still as good as I recall, I may  have to buy the doors albums again.

PaulTMA

is the correct answer Mambo no. 5 then