Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:30:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Some questions from the last man on earth to join Facebook

Started by ASFTSN, March 09, 2017, 05:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

Right - so to my eternal self-disgust I've created my first FB account so I can promote my illustration work through a dedicated page, aware I'm missing out on a huge network of beings.  However, I know nothing about social media.

Some questions, because I'm an idiot that didn't do all this the first time round.

a)  Can I simply mute EVERYTHING from non-business people on my personal timeline?  I saw there was an 'Edit Preferences' section where I can choose to unfollow all friends, or unfollow businesses etc, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  The stream of shite, petitions, 'awareness' whoring and hilarious clickbait continues.

b)  Will I seem like a total ass if I put a polite note on my personal page explaining I only have it because I need a business one, and that I won't be updating, replying or checking it?

c)  Can I simply disable all comments/likes and that on my portfolio?  As in, turn off all comments on content uploaded to the business page?

d)  Is there a way of making the 'Photos' section of my business page more visible/looked at?  As my 'Likes' (vomit) increase, people only seem to look at the album that I've most recently added to drawings in, because that's higher up the newwsfeed.

e)  Apart from inviting those on your friends-list to look at the business page, how does one spread it around?  I don't quite understand the nature of the relationship between the personal account and the business page.  Who, for example, is the 'personal' account behind the official Sainsbury's page?

Any tips would be appreciated.  I thought I'd go here rather than Facebook FAQs because...y'know, honesty. 

You may now mock me for being a More Feeble Grandad.

Malcy

Yes
No
Think so
Not sure

And finally. One way would be after inviting friends to like the page and then share it. In fact set up a normal account and then create a page for the business meaning you won't have to mute anyone.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Malcy on March 09, 2017, 05:48:35 PM
Yes
How can I do this please?
No
Good good.
Think so
I can't seem to find the option for this either.
Not sure
Cheers anyway
And finally. One way would be after inviting friends to like the page and then share it. In fact set up a normal account and then create a page for the business meaning you won't have to mute anyone.
Hmmm....that's sort of what I've been doing - but the whole point of setting up the business page was so I didn't have to look for/add 'friends' on my personal account anyway.

Neomod

What's the purpose of the page? To sell direct to punters or to get art directors interested in your stuff?

or a.n. other reason?

ASFTSN

Quote from: Neomod on March 09, 2017, 07:59:26 PM
What's the purpose of the page? To sell direct to punters or to get art directors interested in your stuff?

or a.n. other reason?

At the level I'm operating at, and based on the work I normally get, mostly to get direct commissions - but if directors are interested then that would also be good.

Neomod

Right. I take it you have a portfolio website already.

Neomod

Just wondering if fb is the best option. Depending on your market Instagram and Twitter might be better for getting your stuff out there. My ex is a successful illustrator, mainly editorial, book covers and stuff but she seems to get more feedback/contacts via the other two rather than facebook.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Neomod on March 09, 2017, 10:48:23 PM
Just wondering if fb is the best option. Depending on your market Instagram and Twitter might be better for getting your stuff out there. My ex is a successful illustrator, mainly editorial, book covers and stuff but she seems to get more feedback/contacts via the other two rather than facebook.

Ah I see, yep.  A lot of my desired market is underground bands (death metal/hardcore/grindcore etc.) and Facebook's still currently the main networking/direct messaging method for those types....ironically enough given Facebook's ubiquity, it's also the beating heart of any 'underground' music scene you care to mention.

Instagram is next though based on what some of my more successful illustrator mates have told me!

spamwangler

in a similar boat. got a facebook account to promote music, art and record label things and a couple of silly pages, and message people

spent an age unfollowing everyone until nothing but adverts come up in my waterfall of shite, but still people insist on trying to get me involved with social media type things

FUCK OFF YOU CRETINS