Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:22:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Review with Forrest MacNeil - Season 3

Started by BritishHobo, March 10, 2017, 12:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

remedial_gash

Quote from: selectivememory on March 31, 2017, 11:08:16 AM

Thought the finale was superb.
Spoiler alert
A really nice understated way for it to go out. Although extremely bleak all the same
[close]
. I wasn't really familiar with Andy Daly before, but I'll be keeping an eye out for him in the future.

His numerous appearances on comedy bang bang and the pilot project on howl are sublime. Really funny man - great performances on never not funny too, when he's just being Andy Daly.

selectivememory

BeardFaceMan

Was that the guy who played Myles Barlow in the Australian version asking Forrest the last question? Nice little touch if it was. Has anyone seen the original series, is it worth checking out?

Serge

Apparently it was Phil Lloyd (who played Myles Barlow) doing a cameo.

Fuck me, what an ending. Bleak is the word. Having said that, I loved Lucille starting to pack her things the second that Grant said the show was cancelled (and then making off with extra stationery.) And Grant appearing in the darkness before wheeling himself in.

There's a good interview with Daly here, where he talks about the finale, the show in general and that mysterious leg twitch of Grants last week.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Serge on March 31, 2017, 07:09:06 PM
Apparently it was Phil Lloyd (who played Myles Barlow) doing a cameo.

Ha, I didn't spot that, but it's a really lovely thing to do. And BFM, it's definitely worth checking out, I enjoyed it a great deal. Myles is a harsher character than Forrest, and much less sympathetic, but it works within the context of the series. I think all but the Season 2 christmas special are up on youtube, hang on...Yeah, here's the first episode and the others are also definitely there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1eLLNQzOMU

QuoteFuck me, what an ending. Bleak is the word. Having said that, I loved Lucille starting to pack her things the second that Grant said the show was cancelled (and then making off with extra stationery.) And Grant appearing in the darkness before wheeling himself in.

There's a good interview with Daly here, where he talks about the finale, the show in general and that mysterious leg twitch of Grants last week.

I adored it a great deal, it was bleak without a doubt but it could have been bleaker. I mean, sure, Forrest has lost everything but at least he's alive, and he's still a well known name so would hopefully be able to get another show / return to being a film critic and rebuild his life. Plus if this somehow becomes a cult hit on a streaming service then they'll still be able to bring it back. That or Daly could do the show as a podcast, which would be something I could well imagine Forrest doing within the reality of the show. And yeah, I'm aware it's probably really unlikely the above will happen, but I like to be occasionally hopeful.

BritishHobo

Perfect! They've gone so large in the past that I'm glad they didn't try to top it for the ending. It's hard to escalate past Forrest, having murdered a man, convincing himself of a grand conspiracy that culminates in him tackling Grant off of a bridge, so the smart thing to do is not try. Nothing stops Forrest - no matter how terrible things get, he always seems to come through unscathed and cheery (as referenced this week before his cryo sleep), so really a muted loss of the show is the only downfall left. It's what he deserves.

And fuck me, that bit with Suzanne's review was marvellous. I was right there with AJ on the edge of my shitting seat - even though it was obvious what was coming, I felt so tense throughout. Don't speak to Grant, just don't fucking do it! And that shadowy Davros moment was incredible.

Serge

It was also a perfect way to get a few pointed remarks about the show being cancelled in there as well....

Small Man Big Horse

There's an interesting bit about Forrest's possible future in this av club newswire: http://www.avclub.com/article/yes-was-final-episode-review-252918

QuoteForrest MacNeil is just one character in a large stable of Daly creations, many of whom—like lecherous stage director Don DiMello and vampire-obsessed "poet laureate of the West" Dalton Wilcox—have traversed between live shows, podcasts, and television. Could the same be true of Forrest? "I was just thinking about this the other day: One of the coolest things that's ever happened in television comedy was when the character of Alan Partridge made the jump from Knowing Me Knowing You to the behind-the-scenes I'm Alan Partridge," Daly said. "So there is a part of me that wonders if there's a reverse-Alan Partridge to be done with Forrest MacNeil, that we see him in his next job as the host of a show or something like that. Or, is there the opportunity to do more of the dead-on Alan Partridge, to leave the construct of Forrest doing a television show and follow this man and the rest of his life?" For the time being, however, we've seen the last of Forrest MacNeil. "But I wouldn't rule out meeting him again in some other context," Daly said. "Because I like him, even though he's an idiot."

BritishHobo

It's absurd how utterly happy that Alan Partridge quote makes me, coming from Daly.

McChesney Duntz

If anybody could pull off an "American Partridge," as it were, Daly's the man for the job.

Another AV Club Review piece - http://www.avclub.com/article/requiem-review-one-darkest-tv-comedies-ever-produc-253052

What does the room think about the article's contention about the bleakness differential in UK/US comedy?  Personally, I think that may have been true a few decades past, but the pendulum seems to have swung in the other direction (as the piece seems to prove - thereby contradicting its thesis - with its litany of American shows full of unlikable, selfish characters doing horrible things)...

BlodwynPig

yup, but rather over egging it with the pangolin/bat review

BeardFaceMan

I watched Review with Myles Barlow this week for the first time, it's really rather good isn't it? His mixing of metaphors during his summing up had me laughing a lot and it's just as dark, if not more so, than the Forrest MacNeil version. Definitely recommended if you haven't seen it.

badaids

Quote from: zip o lightning on July 29, 2020, 08:55:28 AM
https://youtu.be/gu2bOJweujE

So, so good to see Forrest again.

Thanks for sharing - Forrest is one of the best comic creations of the last 10 years. His version of review was brilliant. Are you the real Zip O Lightning? I have some special space crisps for you - Captain Fuckflaps is back and you need to again confront him.

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for the Forrest clip, absolutely loved that.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 29, 2020, 09:27:12 AM
I watched Review with Myles Barlow this week for the first time, it's really rather good isn't it? His mixing of metaphors during his summing up had me laughing a lot and it's just as dark, if not more so, than the Forrest MacNeil version. Definitely recommended if you haven't seen it.

I'm a huge fan too, it's a little different to the US version but pretty much just as good, and the first place at least is available online - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1eLLNQzOMU

spaghetamine

If anybody here is a fan of Review but isn't familiar with Andy's other work I would implore you to check out his podcast, The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project. It's probably supplied me with more out loud laughs than any other podcast and I don't say that lightly, the guy is an absolutely incredible improviser. Each episode is presented by a different character (all played by Daly) with appearances from a few other comedians.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/ship-to-shore-with-l-ron-hubbard/
This is probably my favourite episode although they're all great.

phantom_power

I loved his Comedy Bang Bang appearances where all the characters ended up suicidal, culminating in some sort of intervention for Daly himself. I forget the details but I remember it being a lovely bit of lore building

spaghetamine

Quote from: phantom_power on July 29, 2020, 03:15:07 PM
I loved his Comedy Bang Bang appearances where all the characters ended up suicidal, culminating in some sort of intervention for Daly himself. I forget the details but I remember it being a lovely bit of lore building

here it is, one of the all time greatest CBB bits without a doubt

Andy Daly Mass Character Suicide

chveik

gmoney

Quote from: spaghetamine on July 29, 2020, 01:44:23 PM
If anybody here is a fan of Review but isn't familiar with Andy's other work I would implore you to check out his podcast, The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project. It's probably supplied me with more out loud laughs than any other podcast and I don't say that lightly, the guy is an absolutely incredible improviser. Each episode is presented by a different character (all played by Daly) with appearances from a few other comedians.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/ship-to-shore-with-l-ron-hubbard/
This is probably my favourite episode although they're all great.

He's currently doing an extended Bonanas for Bonanza podcast series with Matt Gourley and Maria Bamford, which you should check out if you haven't, it's fantastic.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chveik on July 29, 2020, 06:25:35 PM
its shite. no need for the character to come back

Nah, and you should be banned for having such an opinion. I don't mean just from this forum either, but from life. Chveik - 1/2 star.

chveik

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 29, 2020, 08:19:02 PM
Nah, and you should be banned for having such an opinion. I don't mean just from this forum either, but from life. Chveik - 1/2 star.

I dunno, the finale is perfect imo. I'm going to buy the dvd though, maybe you can give me a 1/2 star bump?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on July 29, 2020, 09:06:57 PM
I dunno, the finale is perfect imo. I'm going to buy the dvd though, maybe you can give me a 1/2 star bump?

were you talking about this new video? I agree that some of it was fan service.

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 29, 2020, 09:23:50 PM
were you talking about this new video? I agree that some of it was fan service.

yep.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chveik on July 29, 2020, 09:06:57 PM

Ah, I thought you were being critical of the show as a whole, but if it's just the video you didn't like it I'll allow it. chveik, 3 and a 1/3 stars then.