Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:11:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nier: Automata

Started by lazarou, March 10, 2017, 05:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brat-sampson

I'm gonna assume you're basically still in the intro section, but stuck somehow. You're meant to just press on pretty linearly for now. I guess just watch a LetsPlay and see where they go from where you are. There'll be a million on YouTube and they'll get out of where you are in the first video.

Paul Calf

Seconds after posting this, I saw the tiny marker that said "Destination" :)

Thanks.

Consignia

Just finished the other day after picking it up in a sale. It's quite a tour de force. I started it, didn't like it, liked it, didn't like it again, liked it again and so on as it took me through it's constantly evolving mechanics. I don't think I've played a game where I've changed my opinion so frequently during a playthrough, both for story and gameplay. It did end on a positive experience, in the end. I'm just debating whether to go back and hoover up the side quests.

Sheffield Wednesday

How many endings have you got?

It's not really over until Ending E.

Consignia

Yeah, definitely got "E", with that horrible
Spoiler alert
bullet hell section.
[close]
I'm surprised people think A or B are real endings at all.

Sheffield Wednesday

I had heard that the section you mention gets exponentially more difficult to the point of impossibility to set up the consequence. I found that to justify the entire time I spent with the game.

Consignia

Oh yes I meant horrible as horribly difficult. It was fully justified thematically, IMHO. To say I wasn't expecting it, and to play out like that is understatement.

C_Larence

Did you know that
Spoiler alert
when you accept help, and the music changes, the voices singing are made up of the team who worked on the game
[close]

Sheffield Wednesday

:D

I didn't, lovely touch!

Bazooka

Quote from: C_Larence on March 15, 2020, 01:32:48 PM
Did you know that
Spoiler alert
when you accept help, and the music changes, the voices singing are made up of the team who worked on the game
[close]

Bewitched?

Sin Agog

Quote from: Consignia on March 15, 2020, 11:06:09 AM
Just finished the other day after picking it up in a sale. It's quite a tour de force. I started it, didn't like it, liked it, didn't like it again, liked it again and so on as it took me through it's constantly evolving mechanics. I don't think I've played a game where I've changed my opinion so frequently during a playthrough, both for story and gameplay. It did end on a positive experience, in the end. I'm just debating whether to go back and hoover up the side quests.

Been playing it for the first time lately myself.  Up to the beginning of C, where the groups of Yorha are all getting shredded.  I like it a lot, and I'm sure I'll only like it even more from here on out, but I can see why so many people would want this game to get tae fuck: there is so much stopping and starting.  Booting up another boot up, only to need to transport your comely albino self to the desert for another loading sequence.  And the side quests are often funny, but somewhat trifling compared to everything else, and they're so ridiculously fetchy.  Not to mention all the grey and washed-out backgrounds and dead zones.  There is something kind of appealing about that jagged, crumbly Konami-style aesthetic, though.  Sometimes with culty stuff its flaws are sewn into its virtues- it's like how a Lynch film often has that public access vibe.  I'd tighten shit up here and there if it were my baby, but I'm dead glad odd creatures like Yoko Taro exist.

Mister Six

Is that lass's arse visible all the time, or is it just the result of a glitch/patch? I don't want Mrs Six to laugh me out of the living room for playing this.

C_Larence

Quote from: Mister Six on March 15, 2020, 08:36:17 PM
Is that lass's arse visible all the time, or is it just the result of a glitch/patch? I don't want Mrs Six to laugh me out of the living room for playing this.

Without wishing to spoil too much, you'll have a view of it for about 1/3 of the game. You can also hold L3 + R3 for a couple of seconds to make her clothes fall off, but I suppose that's the opposite of what you want.

Sin Agog

I played the latest update after hearing all of the arserbole.  The camera now blocks you when you try to hone in on 2B's bot-bot.  I assume it wasn't always like that.

Consignia

Isn't there a trophy for looking up 2B's skirt? It's the one thing that bothered me without any real redemption is how fetishistic the YoRHa androids were designed.

Sheffield Wednesday

Yoko Taro's explanation is that he enjoys looking at arses so that's the lore for you.

popcorn

What kind of sick fuck enjoys looking at arses?

Osmium

You've got to look up her skirt 10 times for the trophy and know you've triggered one when she steps out of view of the camera. There's also a trophy for playing an hour as 9S with his shorts blown off.

QuoteWhat Are You Doing?
Rare 20.6%
2B's secret discovered 10 times.

QuoteNot That I Mind...
Very Rare 12.5%
1 hour played with 9S in a certain state.

Looks like they should have made his arse hang out as much and look as tidy as 2B's though.

popcorn

Imagine having your shorts blown off.

Osmium

He's got another wee pair underneath anyway. Should have had him in the white pantsu.

popcorn

You're just walking around in the sunshine, whistling a tune, mum's asked you to get some grapes from Tesco, when suddenly BLAMMO - your shorts, blown clean off.

Abnormal Palm

This is now on Game Pass so I started it again. Going to just dip in and out as I feel like it but feels good to be back in this world again. I'm just playing on Easy because I don't think very much of the combat, it's very grindy and not very satisfying compared to Bayo, but it's flashy and fun to smash through everything while I take in the atmosphere and story. No doubt I'll pick up a hell of a lot more second time around.

sambwel

Got a new Xbox very recently and gamepass, and was pleasantly surprised to see this game available. It was something I'd always heard good things about and figured I'd pick up on sale someday, it wasn't really on my radar though. Mostly because I felt like this:
Quote from: Mister Six on March 15, 2020, 08:36:17 PM
And not just because I was worried about the wife wondering what the fuck I was playing - just the fact that the character design was very clearly done by Japanese pervs for Japanese pervs was extremely offputting.

Well, how wrong I was to worry about how that would reflect on the game proper. Just got ending E finally, on my first playthrough. I'm not a big gamer so I'm probably missing some other classic(s) but this was really the first game I've played that struck me as proper art, barring stuff that is mostly or entirely abstract. I know a lot of game makers have artistic pretensions, but that almost always boils down to making film references or outright trying to make the game feel like a film. Although this reminded me in some ways of some other works I love in different media - Evangelion, Twin Peaks and Solaris spring to mind - it was very much its own thing. I think I'm going to be thinking about it for a while to come. Very excited to the remake of the original.

Sheffield Wednesday

If you hold in the sticks and press L3 and R3 for several seconds, you will see the real art.

sambwel

Barry Admin

I need to get back into this damnit!

sambwel

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 22, 2020, 12:33:18 PM
I need to get back into this damnit!

How far did you get? It's amazing how much the game changes over time. Definitely worth persisting if you get stuck. There was a point where I ended up switching to Easy mode even though I hadn't had much trouble with combat for the first 20 hours or so on Normal. The game doesn't punish you for changing difficulties though. The one thing I wish I'd remembered though was that after a certain point there are different ways to deal with combat situations and when things get tough it can be best to mix it up... also that you have a selection of items for a reason, use them in battle! (Best I can do for spoiler-free tips. And you DO want to avoid spoilers for this one.)

Barry Admin

Not far, second go through or something? Had unlocked yer man which changed it up a bit. Wouldn't remember much now. I did manage to get back into Dragon's Dogma, so after that I'll try Nier again.

sambwel

Nice. Keen to hear your thoughts when you're back at it.

wooders1978

I think you're meant to play through at least 5 times - I might dig mine out and bung it on easy as the bucket spunge combat got on my tits as well