Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:29:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Morris on Peter Cook documentary?

Started by up_the_hampipe, March 10, 2017, 08:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

I remember hearing some sort of radio documentary a while ago about Peter Cook. But Morris was a talking head on it. One of the earliest clips of him being interviewed "out of character" so to speak. I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone remember what it was?

Jake Thingray

Almost certainly the last part of Peter Cook In His Own Words(four parts, R4, 2005), linked by Michael Palin.

the

Did this consist of Morris talking about John Bird and Jonathan Miller's appearance on Newsnight? I downloaded that as a disembodied clip from CaB some donkey's years ago - would have to rummage through some old backups to find it though.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: the on March 11, 2017, 03:07:10 PM
Did this consist of Morris talking about John Bird and Jonathan Miller's appearance on Newsnight? I downloaded that as a disembodied clip from CaB some donkey's years ago - would have to rummage through some old backups to find it though.

Yeah, I remember hearing it on here. Perhaps in the Rarities section that doesn't seem to work anymore.

Quote from: Jake Thingray on March 11, 2017, 12:49:17 PM
Almost certainly the last part of Peter Cook In His Own Words(four parts, R4, 2005), linked by Michael Palin.

I thought so. Thanks.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: the on March 11, 2017, 03:07:10 PM

Yeah that's the only clip i have of him. In it he explains why he didn't want to contribute to a tribute.

He mentions how the two were arguing over whether Cook was a satirist or a surrealist and that a proper tribute to the man would solely be clips of his material.

the

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 11, 2017, 06:38:26 PMYeah, I remember hearing it on here. Perhaps in the Rarities section that doesn't seem to work anymore.

Dug it out:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0NB8lMBxAWT[nb]These Vocaroo links only last for a few months, so download it if you want to keep hold of it.[/nb]

The ID3 tag credited Andrew Hollinrake for supplying the clip.

marquis_de_sad

Ha, that was great, thanks.

"Slow motion verbal wrestling match".

up_the_hampipe

Not worth making a new thread really, but does anyone know of any other recorded interviews (not print) with Morris before his Four Lions press tour? Obviously there was the bootleg recording of his Bournemouth Uni talk, but that doesn't count. Was he too much of an "enigma" to do those for earlier projects?

benthalo

The interview was originally for episode 1 of Cook's Tour, a three-part documentary hosted by John Bird for Radio 4, Christmas 1995.

ramsobot

While we're at it, does anyone still have a copy of the Q&As Chris did during the Four Lions tour? Particularly the NYC one from November 5, 2010?

Thomas

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 22, 2017, 09:18:17 PM
Not worth making a new thread really, but does anyone know of any other recorded interviews (not print) with Morris before his Four Lions press tour? Obviously there was the bootleg recording of his Bournemouth Uni talk, but that doesn't count. Was he too much of an "enigma" to do those for earlier projects?

He did a few podcasts - I have a couple downloaded. Here's one (though it doesn't seem to play in my browser), and he also appeared on Opie and Anthony's loud show.

Here's a video interview, too, and this one, if I remember rightly (can't listen to it at the moment), is my favourite of the Four Lions press rush. I think they get into just having a pleasant chat about things outside of Morris' necessarily repeated terrorism anecdotes. There are plenty more on YouTube. Great shirts in all.

There was also a fun blog documenting the Four Lions tour across America, though I can't find it at the moment. I'll report back to this thread when I do.

up_the_hampipe

Ah, I ate through most of those at the time. I was referring to any stuff before Four Lions, i.e. any promotion for Nathan Barley, Brass Eye etc. or just general recorded interviews. There was some good content from the Four Lions press tour, but a lot of it was discussing his terrorism research. I was wondering if he had any in-depth recorded stuff from earlier projects, as opposed to the occasional print interviews that are archived on this site. Appreciate the links though, I hadn't seen one of those before.