Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:17:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Baby Driver - New Edgar Wright Film

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, March 12, 2017, 04:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

This was loads of fun. Jamie Foxx stole the show. Shamefully I didn't notice the music matching the beats during the coffee scene - CHECK OUT THIS DUNCE

The complaints in this thread over the soundtrack are funny. "Meh, not enough krautrock - 5/10". The music suited the sequences.

It was clichéd and the characterisation was lacking, but fuck me was it thrilling at times. Edgar Wright has clearly been taking lessons from Tarantino. I look forward to the sequel. Technically we never saw Batz cark it...

8/10

holyzombiejesus

I saw this on Monday and really didn't take to it. I didn't think there was anything likeable about the lead. In fact, during the Bell Bottoms bit, he really reminded me of this, one of my most hated children in television history. The whole film, ironically, was pretty soulless, the female characters were just silly objects and the final 30 minutes (at least) were a mess. What motivated Baby to kill Jamie Foxx's character and Kevin Spacey to basically sacrifice himself for the boy? A pretty empty film.

Read up on it when I got home and (this may have already been posted) Edgar Wright originally explored the opening scene with this Mint Royale video back in 2003.

Glebe

Saw it last night (they're doing renovations at my local cinema, so had to watch it in a weird little box screening room). Anyway, I really liked it overall, 'twas inventive, funny and thrilling. Smashing soundtrack, and it builds a lot of tension alongside all the witty stuff. I kinda felt like it lost a little bit of momentum towards the end, but otherwise it was top stuff.

*SPOILER ALERT*

I liked that Jon Hamm seems like he's gonna be on Baby's side at first, but it turns out that his manipulative boss is his only ally in the group in the end.

Lord Mandrake

I thought this was obnoxious, rote and ugly. It felt like it was designed by an algorithm and lacked soul - the music was incredibly vanilla and predictable and the whole gimmick of beat matching scenes betrays the directors lack of funk. Everything 4//4 on the beat, there's no funk in that, it's like someone trying to program jazzy drums on a computer - never a match for a live drummer. The result for me was detracting both of the score and the visuals.

Baby was quite good actually, the rest of the cast were either underwritten, under utilised or in Spacey's case, just phoning it in. The final act was preposterous with John Hamming it up big time. These things don't usually bother me but nobody gets gut shot at point blank range with a .44 and gets up from it - let alone take out a few cops and continue a pursuit then take a header off a car park only to magically appear moments later and somehow contrive to just not shoot the fucker in the face - when he does resort to this Baby actually dodges the bullets.

Over hyped trash

Edit to say, Baby's track that he made from his dicta-phone recordings was fucking pish.   

Repeater

Aye, was that dictaphone thing supposed to be good? Fuckin shiteeeee

imitationleather

Sigh. Fucking Spacey and his hands means this is yet another film that's going to be written out of history. Although it was unlikely to be heralded as one of the classics, anyway.

rue the polywhirl

It would be a deeply terrible shame if this or the impeccable Nine Lives will be thrown into the trash bin of recent movie history. Cuz Spacey only plays a supporting role it's easier to overlook his presence in it and maybe Baby Driver might escape with just a point on its licence.

Shit Good Nose

Finally got round to seeing it.

Had very very low expectations and have to admit it wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting.

BUT the constant soundtrack REALLY got in the way and put me off, to the point where I'm sure I missed key plot points.  I know and understand the whole point of having that in place, but it was still very distracting, and the whole thing ended up being a bunch of connected music videos and not much more.

On the plus side, Simon Pegg wasn't in it.

Bazooka

I consider Jon Hamm to be the best actor of the last decade or so, but have never liked anything Edgar Wright has been involved with (minus Look Around You), based on that should I bother with this?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bazooka on December 19, 2017, 02:21:21 PM
I consider Jon Hamm to be the best actor of the last decade or so, but have never liked anything Edgar Wright has been involved with (minus Look Around You), based on that should I bother with this?

Baby Driver is (as intended, at least) a smart/cool action/drama/thriller/romance with a few comedic moments, and about as far removed from Look Around You as you can get.

I assume you don't like Spaced.  Have you tried Is It Bill Bailey? and his first film A Fistful of Fingers?  Both amazing and, in my opinion (and along with Spaced) by FAR the best things he's ever done.

ieXush2i

Watched this a few days back and it's a pleasant enough film if you don't think about it, otherwise it becomes a load of shallow wank about a rude white indie Christ figure with a massive Oedipal complex.

He makes fucking hip-hop cut ups out of recordings of his crime associates for crying out loud!