Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:59:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Baby Driver - New Edgar Wright Film

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, March 12, 2017, 04:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Dammage

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 14, 2017, 12:26:14 PM
Really?

You've seen Drive and (The) Driver, right?

Cos this looks like a light hearted lazy rehash of both (and Drive itself was in part a rehash of Driver).

All that they have in common is the fact that it revolves around a getaway driver. From the trailers they look nothing alike.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Van Dammage on March 14, 2017, 01:58:29 PM
All that they have in common is the fact that it revolves around a getaway driver. From the trailers they look nothing alike.

I'm thinking the visual cues with the gloves and the like, the criminals sat in the car shitting themselves whilst our cool collected driver expertly avoids destruction...

That kind of thing.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 14, 2017, 02:01:13 PM
I'm thinking the visual cues with the gloves and the like, the criminals sat in the car shitting themselves whilst our cool collected driver expertly avoids destruction...

That kind of thing.

I suppose, but that seems to appear in 90% of heist films. What I was getting at is that the tone seems completely different from the other two. Drive and Driver were a lot more low key, not that much dialogue and the like. If the trailer for this is to believed it'll be full of wisecracks and over the top action.

popcorn

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 14, 2017, 12:26:14 PM
Really?

You've seen Drive and (The) Driver, right?

Cos this looks like a light hearted lazy rehash of both (and Drive itself was in part a rehash of Driver).

Seen both. This won't be a lazy reheash of either because Wright has wit and ingenuity and a rare sense of fun. All of which I reckon is evident in the trailer, but only I am wise enough to see this.

Scott Pilgrim and World's End are cracking n all. Wright is like Tarantino for me, in that I adore both their earlier and later more indulgent work when many don't, and both guarantee to have me clapping with delight like a circus seal. Might be something missing in my brain, who knows.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Van Dammage on March 14, 2017, 02:08:27 PM
I suppose, but that seems to appear in 90% of heist films. What I was getting at is that the tone seems completely different from the other two. Drive and Driver were a lot more low key, not that much dialogue and the like. If the trailer for this is to believed it'll be full of wisecracks and over the top action.

Hence "light hearted".

Wet Blanket

For someone supposedly well into his music the song choices are a bit Radio 2 aren't they? I mean, post watershed Radio 2 arguably, but still a bit 'Best of the Beatles'.

He's meant to be a cool getaway driver, not your mate's dad who has a reasonably decent taste in compilation albums

Jim_MacLaine

It really should have a sarah records soundtrack shouldn't it. Burning rubber to The Field Mice.

Bad Ambassador

Wouldn't a better title have been "Drivetime"?

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on March 14, 2017, 03:18:11 PM
It really should have a sarah records soundtrack shouldn't it. Burning rubber to The Field Mice.

I think you're joking but yeah maybe. Drive had all that cool obscure Europop[nb]Remember when Zane Lowe re-scored with less cool indie music? [/nb]. Vanishing Point has that 60s US rock'n'roll going on. Distinctive.

By contrast, Nowhere to Run, Sinnerman... I don't know, it's a bit wedding DJ innit?

But I'm like, proper cool and that, daddio 

phantom_power

Quote from: Wet Blanket on March 14, 2017, 03:13:29 PM
For someone supposedly well into his music the song choices are a bit Radio 2 aren't they? I mean, post watershed Radio 2 arguably, but still a bit 'Best of the Beatles'.

I doubt he made the trailer. Those songs may well not feature in the film at all

I really don't know how I'll feel about this. I really enjoyed ALL of the Cornetto trilogy and yet I find Scott Pilgrim to be the worst fucking thing I've ever seen, one of those "thumbs up if you remember MARIOS" memes combined with "why can't geeks get girlfriends" wank stretched out to two hours

Here's hoping that Wright leans more towards the former than the latter. Not exactly enthusiastic though.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: phantom_power on March 14, 2017, 06:17:19 PM
I doubt he made the trailer. Those songs may well not feature in the film at all

I think they do, although the articles about the OST are all mysteriously Not Found when I Google it so who knows?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 13, 2017, 08:43:52 AM
ooooh a car chase....oooh look at that spin, look at the glide....look its James Corden in a shit Confused.com advert.

Come on man, Bullitt, French Connection, Vanishing Point. I'd be surprised if this matched up to them but you never know.

mothman

Is anhybody going to watch this? I just can't get over how shit the traiklers make it look. And I hate the name...

Mini

Quote from: mothman on June 16, 2017, 10:40:37 PM
Is anhybody going to watch this? I just can't get over how shit the traiklers make it look. And I hate the name...

I've liked every Edgar Wright film I've seen, but the trailers (and the name) make this look so shit that I actively don't want to watch it.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Mini on June 16, 2017, 11:38:48 PM
I've liked every Edgar Wright film I've seen, but the trailers (and the name) make this look so shit that I actively don't want to watch it.

Same. In a perfect world Wright's next movie would have been the Ghostbusters reboot but it was not to be. I just hope Sam Raimi gives him the keys to Evil Dead.

Peru

Quote from: phantom_power on March 14, 2017, 06:17:19 PM

There's a shot of Radar Love on the iPod screen in the trailer.

saltysnacks

I'm tired of twinks in films. I want action heroes whose stubble can graze flesh.

hewantstolurkatad

The trailers for this must be fucking dreadful? All I know about it is that it's Edgar Wright and the first wave of reviews are very good, good enough to suggest that even accounting for moderation of more negative reviews that it's likely still okay.

greenman

Quote from: popcorn on March 14, 2017, 02:20:30 PM
Seen both. This won't be a lazy reheash of either because Wright has wit and ingenuity and a rare sense of fun. All of which I reckon is evident in the trailer, but only I am wise enough to see this.

Scott Pilgrim and World's End are cracking n all. Wright is like Tarantino for me, in that I adore both their earlier and later more indulgent work when many don't, and both guarantee to have me clapping with delight like a circus seal. Might be something missing in my brain, who knows.

Pilgrim for me seems rather easy to prejudge, coffee drinking power pop hipsters and LOL 80's references don't really seem fertile ground but I felt he carried it off incredibly well.

As far as the soundtrack goes I can say from experience that for tinnitus blocking he should be listening to a steady Krautrock diet.

up_the_hampipe

Observation that I'm sure everyone has already made and was probably intentional on Wright's part: Baby's waitress girlfriend looks a lot like Shelly from Twin Peaks.

Bad Ambassador

What I've seen of his work looks like Reference: The Movie.

Mango Chimes

If this is amazing, why are the trailers so so shit? Even with a massive bag of benefit of the doubt and good will, I've just rewatched a couple of them and it looks absolute balls.

SimonJT

This was my favourite scene from the film:

[BABY DRIVER ENTERS, CARRYING A BABY]

BABY DRIVER: Got any petrol for t'Baby?
VIC: You can't give a baby petrol!
BOB: How many times?!

surreal

Saw this last night at one of the Cineworld Unlimited screenings - really enjoyed it to be honest.  Much better than the trailers suggested, great soundtrack (way better than Guardians of the Galaxy IMHO).  If you like car chases this is top notch without being Fast/Furious ridiculous - there was a short intro from Edgar saying that all the stunt driving was real and no CGI / green screen.  Also manages another great use of a Queen song, bit more obscure one this time.

Loved the credit sequence, watch the grafitti in the background too...

Overall 8/10

also Eiza Gonzales.... Good lord **drops monocle**

madhair60

Quote from: surreal on June 21, 2017, 10:53:18 AM
There was a short intro from Edgar saying that all the stunt driving was real and no CGI / green screen.

Definitely not true.

I hate everything about Edgar Wright except for his television and almost all of his films, which I find extremely enjoyable.

surreal

Quote from: madhair60 on June 22, 2017, 02:19:55 PM
Definitely not true.

The intro or the CGI bit??? ;-)

Yeah, he did kind of stumble over saying that, but still I know it was shot in Atlanta specifically for the road conditions so I'm pretty sure that most of it was actually done but probably some fixes in post - there isn't anything in there that couldn't actually be done by a stunt driver to be honest as far as I could see, no ridiculously OTT stuff, but some of the collisions later on would likely have needed some thought.

I'm actually considering seeing it again on release in one of those (otherwise stupid and pointless) 4DX screens, I actually think with the music and action this could really work as a ride.

phantom_power

100% on Rotten Tomaytos, for all that means

Glebe

Playback: Edgar Wright on 'Baby Driver,' Music and Walking Away From 'Ant-Man'.

QuoteFollowing early successes, Wright hit a couple speed bumps. He first turned his eye toward "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World," a Universal Pictures collaboration that disappointed at the box office. Along the way he was developing "Ant-Man," a bit of a dream project. But eventually he had to step away from that.

"The most diplomatic answer is I wanted to make a Marvel movie but I don't think they really wanted to make an Edgar Wright movie," Wright says. "I was the writer-director on it and then they wanted to do a draft without me, and having written all my other movies, that's a tough thing to move forward. Suddenly becoming a director for hire on it, you're sort of less emotionally invested and you start to wonder why you're there, really."

He expected the success of something like "Ant-Man" might help propel him toward making his true dream project, "Baby Driver," a reality. Yet he was still able to get the audacious musical/car chase actioner done at a major studio, and happily, keep his devoted crew (who departed "Ant-Man" in solidarity) employed. And like many of Wright's creative pursuits, it all began with a song.

I sincerely wish we'd have gotten an Edgar Wright Ant-Man.