Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:59:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I hear you're a racist now, JonTron?

Started by Beagle 2, March 15, 2017, 12:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Bit weird, bit of a shame. I'm a big fan of JonTron, I thought he had a bit more about him than your usual YouTuber and might even go on to do something interesting in proper tellyland at some point.

Anyway, turns out he literally founded Combat 18 http://time.com/4701304/jontron-jon-jafari-steve-bonnell-immigration-race-youtube/

lazarou

Here's the edited highlights of that chat courtesy of reddit:

I'm lazy so I cut out most of his filler words and phrases. These quotes make him look more articulate than he actually was on stream.

In regards to black people

Well I don't know if these arguments can hold up decade after decade. There is like, 18 year old people who are committing a disproportionate amount of crime and they were born after me. So how do you explain that? Is that Jim Crow? Nobody wants to get into the realistic things... They just want to blame whites more and more.

I don't understand why it is anyone else's responsibility but their own. Do they not have agency?

The UK didn't have Jim Crow, France didn't have Jim Crow. We still have Muslim riots over there. In sweden, they didn't have Jim Crow. There are riots in the streets of Stockholm.
So Jim Crow is one aspect of it here in America but in the rest of the western world, we don't have these same precedents and there is still disproportionate crime in those communities.

You can't make the argument that whites would be okay with them becoming a minority in the country their ancestors built if it doesn't apply to other countries.

Wealthy blacks also commit more crime than poor whites, that's a fact.

But we've been hearing this single mother thing for decades. It's getting a bit tired. That's why you're seeing this rise in "nazis".

On Japan

Nobody would ask Japan if it was okay if Japan became a minority Japanese nation.

I disagree I think it [Japan] is a model society.

How many terrorist attacks are in Japan?

On being white

What is so offensive about white people saying they'd like to preserve their demographic majority?

In terms of a demographic majority, I don't think a nation can exist without one. This truly multicultural every single person is a different race or religion. I don't know if that's really sustainable long term.

(On Irish/Italians being discriminated against) Being irish or people not liking the irish or italians doesn't make them not white. It just makes them not liked. Perhaps they had some undesirable traits. I heard the Italian Mafia made the rounds. But that would have been a good argument to restrict italian immigration!

It's clear that whites are not allowed to speak up against their demographic um... oblivion.

They're [whites] are not being killed, they're being displaced. You are the same guy who says that Europeans displaced the native Americans but apparently, when other people do it to white Americans, it's okay because fuck white people.

Why is it when the chinese were trying to colonise tibet, why was that a save tibet situation but when it's white people... I'm using an analogy to try to give a parallel situation so you can see the hypocrisy.

Do you consider the european colonisation of Africa a bad thing? (Destiny replies that it's complicated). It's only complicated because it's whites.

If white people go to south africa and colonised there, it's the white people encroaching on the African's land and they should give it back.

There is a clear divide in the way that people think. White people tend towards the Libertarian side and at least the first generation Mexicans vote heavily for government handouts. (Destiny mentions that red states take more govt handouts than blue states). These states (Southern red states (Alabama, Loiusiana)) have high non white populations.

There is an absolute disproportionate of crime committed to whites by nonwhites. There's no arguing that that's just FBI statistics. But white people are not allowed to address this because it's called racist by people like you.

In historically white countries, it is seen as a moral imperative that whites don't resist their own displacement. If they resist it, they're racist. You can see this in every white country on planet earth. The status quo thinks that the only logical conclusion to the country, to atone for the sins of the white past is to keep letting in people from the third world until white people are a minority.

When white people are aggressed against in their own nations by people that are not white, they are told constantly, check your privilege. You colonised us, you owe us this land blah blah blah.

That is not true that they (irish/italians) were not considered white people.

On Trump

Trump is a reaction to the retarded identity politics of the left for at least the last 4 years.

I don't recall Trump ever saying anything explicitly racist.

When you have these illegals coming up and being so bold to say "try deporting me Trump", that's a sign of a problem.

Nobody wants to become a minority in their own country. Why is it bad if they (whites) remain a majority?

Mexican immigrants

Ay yi yi dude you're just virtue signalling. Not all Mexicans are going to go on welfare but a lot of them are going to commit crimes. The El Salvadoreans are going to create the MS13 gangs.

These days the confederate flag has been banned, they're burning american flags in the streets. It's a changing nation. And I think immigration policies that haven't been the smartest are partially to blame for that.

What do you call a large number of people from one specific place, coming in, setting up their ethnic enclaves and then waving their own flag inside of our nation? There are large swathes of them who want to break parts of America back into Mexico.

Europe

I mean who in Europe is causing riots currently? It is all interconnected (to the US) dude because Europeans are the ones who founded this country and Europe is having similar problems. So if you look at the parallels, you can understand.

Btw, Europe and America it's not different, even though you say it's different, it is not. They're all facing problems coming from a similar part of the world.

When people, lets say the French, see an influx of islamic migrants who come in and say, you don't give us good enough handouts. You're being racist to us and then they're rioting. It's all intertwined, it's the same situation but they speak a different language. That's like you saying a man ate a sandwich in France and a man ate a sandwich in America is not the same situation.

Other musings

Why does an economy have to keep growing forever? People don't need gadgets all the time.

Are people getting along better? It seems to me that people are screaming more recently.

We've gotten rid of discrimination in our western countries. If you don't think we've gotten rid of discrimination, you're living in a fantasy land.

This oppression in America, it doesn't exist.

I hope you're all enjoying your UK Muslim riots this morning.

bushwick

'beta neckbeard' type gets rich from talking about computer games in his bedroom and now suddenly is a political philosopher. Sounds about right.

I like computer games and comics but fuck me if that whole 'culture' isn't responsible for an absolute shower of shit.

Who's next? Reckon Ashens might try and capitalise on the UKIP/Britain First wave?

Beagle 2

I liked his funny videos about the old video games the best, that was better than having a pop at blacks. My advice is he shouldn't do the second one as much.

Custard

Apparently he's already lost 10,000 subscribers. Not that that will make a blind bit of difference. A racist gonna racist

Cuellar

Quote from: Pixelated Boat
The whole internet loves Milkshake Duck, a lovely duck that drinks milkshakes! *5 seconds later* We regret to inform you the duck is racist
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/741904787361300481

Kelvin

He's been known to be racist for some time, hasn't he? During the election he was saying stuff that caused a stir, although I don't know details.

Not entirely related, but Colin Moriarty of youtube channel Kinda Funny Games stepped down from the company this week, in part because of the reaction to a potentially sexist joke he made on International Women's Day. As I've said before, the left are far, far more effective at affecting change away from the political sphere.

Over the last couple of years his content had gone down hill. An increased number of payed for videos and I think hes run out of funny games as he seems to have moved on to film reviews. Its a shame as so,e of his video games stuff was hilarious. Tekashis challenge is one of my favourites.

brat-sampson

Yeah, he's come out with this kind of thing before, but this time another streamer called him out on it which led to us all getting to know what he *really* thinks during an hour or so of impromptu interviewing/discussion live on Twitch. He did not come off well.

colacentral

Talentless youtuber turns out to be dumb shocker.

He says in one of those quotes that white people being displaced is the same as native americans being displaced, and most people only have a problem with the latter. Erm, the native americans were placed in camps and killed, not unlike the jews. It's not the same as there now being the odd muslim on your street.

Twed

I always thought he was a bit thick (easily convinced by libertarians) and also (in the Game Grumps era) hadn't grasped that you probably shouldn't do ironic racism anymore. That shit I can get over. Then he seemed to start hanging around with a bad crowd, saying some dumb-as-shit stuff and becoming an unpleasant person. I unsubscribed from him in every possible way about two weeks ago, looks like that was good timing.

lazyhour

This raises the age old question of separating the art from the artist. If a musician says weird dodgy stuff I can usually look the other way, especially if their music is dark and twisted anyway. But in this case... I think I'll feel a bit icky and depressed if I give JonTron more of my hard-earned clicks. I think it's harder to stomach because people watch his videos precisely to hear his opinions on stuff.

Twed

I saw some quotes from the JonTron subreddit (which is really pleasingly well-adjusted about this, with the general tone being anti-JonTron) point out that the choice to separate his racism from his work is pretty much a luxury that white people have. It must be difficult to enjoy his videos as a black person knowing that he thinks these things about you.

I can't separate his opinions from his work anyway, just because of the kind of person I am. It might be logical to do that, but it doesn't mean I can feel it.

Zetetic

What does it mean if his 'work' made you an inverse-racist?

Twed

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Twed on March 17, 2017, 12:55:50 PMI saw some quotes from the JonTron subreddit (which is really pleasingly well-adjusted about this, with the general tone being anti-JonTron) point out that the choice to separate his racism from his work is pretty much a luxury that white people have. It must be difficult to enjoy his videos as a black person knowing that he thinks these things about you.

Don't really agree with that, to be honest, as, for me, this is where identity politics starts to slide into solipsism. Some non-white people might feel that they can't watch JonTron anymore, but I think it's wrong to assume all will. It's also rather insulting to assume that non-white people are incapable of having this sort of complicated relationship with culture. And categorising this feeling (because that's all it is, a feeling) as a luxury is typical of the over-dramatisation of identity politics (see also the use of the word "violence").

Zetetic

Twed

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on March 17, 2017, 07:59:05 PM
Don't really agree with that, to be honest, as, for me, this is where identity politics starts to slide into solipsism. Some non-white people might feel that they can't watch JonTron anymore, but I think it's wrong to assume all will. It's also rather insulting to assume that non-white people are incapable of having this sort of complicated relationship with culture. And categorising this feeling (because that's all it is, a feeling) as a luxury is typical of the over-dramatisation of identity politics (see also the use of the word "violence").
Sure. It's not philosophy that summarises how all people of all colours should feel about this, but a thoughtful conversation that I thought was at least worth some attention. I could have paraphrased it better.[nb]I also didn't say anything about all white people not being able to watch his content, where did that come from?[/nb]

Quote from: Zetetic on March 17, 2017, 08:01:37 PM
A hypothetical you.
Can you let me know if the concrete instance of me has been let off the hook here?

Zetetic

Tenta[nb]LIKE A HOOK USED TO FASTEN CLOTH ON A DRYING FRAME[/nb]tively, yes.

Twed

I don't mind if you think I'm the sort of racist who hates white people but is a white person. That's the good kind, right?

Jontron's been publicly silent ever since this latest development. Hopefully some self-education is occurring.

Twed

He must have SOME level of PR professional having stern words with him.

Zetetic

Are there any vloggers providing indepth reviews of fat racists yet?

I know that itself might seem a discriminatory question; for the record, I'd consider a really excellent thin racist.

biggytitbo

I don't know who Jontron is so i googled him and see he has a beard and no moustache. That alone is reason for me never to watch his stuff ever, more so than the racism which i enjoy a lot.

Bhazor

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 17, 2017, 09:59:37 PM
Jontron's been publicly silent ever since this latest development. Hopefully some self-education is occurring.

I wouldn't be so sure. If he carries on the usual youtuber trend he'll be on an alt right site within the week complaining about his outrage at outrage culture. He's already following a bunch of Breitbart and Infowars nuts.

Thursday

Quote from: Bhazor on March 18, 2017, 03:17:19 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. If he carries on the usual youtuber trend he'll be on an alt right site within the week complaining about his outrage at outrage culture. He's already following a bunch of Breitbart and Infowars nuts.

I mean he's way ahead of you on this one

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/11/18/exclusive-youtub-star-jontron-i-dont-think-people-will-trust-the-media-anymore/

biggytitbo

QuoteJT: I voted for Barack Obama twice. I supported Bernie Sanders in the primaries.
He's got you there lads, get out of that!

QuoteI'm someone who surveys the situation, and I don't like putting people into camps.
Unless they're jews though i bet, eh!?

Replies From View

I thought people here loved it when youtubers like pewdiepie and Jontron did a bit of a racism.  "It's like what Chris Morris does, you hypocrites!" they said last time.

Urinal Cake

Well his middle name is Aryan.

Also isn't this guy half Iranian? Stephen King isn't going to consider you part of his 'culture'.

Beagle 2

He has spakeneth: https://youtu.be/aIFf7qwlnSc

The thing I find most disappointing is that he went anywhere near all this anyway. As a bloke rapidly approaching middle age, the reason I play and watch stuff about computer games at all is to get some childish escapism from the crushing and relentless weight of politics and omnipresent ISSUES the world constantly invites me to take a view on. We all know it's important, but we all know that the extent that it dominates our headspace these days does us no good.

So a bit of nostalgia, a bloke making some funny videos at home and slowly building up a following about something as joyful and trivial as games - that's exactly what I need coming out of my phone rather than the latest bunfight about some shit some prick said about something depressing I can't change. And he blew it.

Y'know, I don't really care how he votes or what he thinks, but he took over his own channel to put his views in my face. I wish people would stop.