Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:09:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee - Content Provider

Started by Dirty Boy, March 16, 2017, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringside

I thought I remembered him saying there'd probably be no more DVD's or something like that? I hope there's SOMETHING. Digital release? I don't know. I hate to think there'll be no record of this, as I have no way of seeing the live shows.

magval

Come to think of it a big part of the new show is how DVDs aren't financially viable for him. Think he's also talked about how he'd be happy to do what Bridget Christie did, that the BBC-filmed Netflix special is a good way forward for standup.

DrGreggles

I'm pretty sure he claimed that CRW wasn't going to be released either, so I'm not sure it won't appear.

Ringside

I don't understand why more cunts don't stick a recorder in their pocket at comedy gigs. Then again I'm a bootleg nerd.

Fucking squares.

magval

Even a soundboard audio-only version, only to be released after the tour has finished and is the material is no longer valuable, would suffice.

Couldn't cost much to quickly archive these things surely, and it's bound to be natural to want you material preserved?

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Ringside on December 14, 2017, 11:18:33 AM
I don't understand why more cunts don't stick a recorder in their pocket at comedy gigs. Then again I'm a bootleg nerd.

Fucking squares.
You have to respect rich comedians Ringside

Twit 2

Did a double take driving along this afternoon when Steve Wright said his next guest was Stewart Lee. Was also surprised to hear that the former is a big fan, though he could have just been saying that. Anyway, booked tickets for Norwich, was quite gutted when it was sold out in January.

magval

He's had him on before and they seemed to get on quite well.

Famous Mortimer

I mean, just record it and bang it out on your website for a fiver a pop - presumably, little outlay for him, and a nice little earner. The Louis CK model.

Small Man Big Horse

Lee's just sent a new email which is all about some jazz music thing he's done. https://capri-batterie.bandcamp.com/album/bristol-fashion

QuoteAt the invitation of the Exeter based free jazz trio capri-batterie, Stewart Lee spent an hour in a Bristol studio last October improvising words to their spontaneous sounds. These are the unfiltered results, collected as the 'Bristol Fashion' album.

Stewart is a comedian and he therefore dealt with the vocal aspect. capri-batterie is the collective name given to the drums, trumpet and bass trio of Kordian Tetkov, Tim Sayer and Matthew Lord.

I've listened to the first track and it's fucking awful. And that's being kind, it's really shockingly shit, and I'm normally a big fan of his.

Urinal Cake

You just have to listen to other free jazz trios to understand how Lee is circumventing the form.

VelourSpirit

Why's he still bothering with words? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX3TXjpn7d8 think this transcends the form really

Came to ask if there is even some bootleg recording of this show available, but the posts on this page indicate that there isn't? I just heard his game of thrones bit on YouTube recorded by some angel criminal cunt, which was excellent

Sebastian Cobb

If any of you are interested in Stuart Lee's strange taste in music, he recently did a show with Kate Huchinson on Worldwidefm.

https://www.mixcloud.com/worldwidefm/kate-hutchinson-with-stewart-lee-24-11-17/

dr beat

Quote from: Twit 2 on January 03, 2018, 05:08:23 PM
Did a double take driving along this afternoon when Steve Wright said his next guest was Stewart Lee. Was also surprised to hear that the former is a big fan, though he could have just been saying that. Anyway, booked tickets for Norwich, was quite gutted when it was sold out in January.

I used to listen to Steve Wright in the Afternoon on R1 back in the late-80s/very early 90s (well I was eleven or so at the time, didn't know better), and Wright would regularly have on comedians, who while now part of the comedy establishment now, were very much up and coming then - people like Paul Merton and Jack Dee.  It was on that show that I first heard Lee and Herring, and it may well have been just as they were starting out.

Sebastian Cobb

Fist of Fun made a few digs at Wright though didn't it? I seem to remember something along the lines of someone citing 'steve wright and his posse' as one of their sources in their lecture 'all art is shit, especially the stuff that doesn't look like anything'.

magval

Is that from the University of Life sketch? I listened to that recently and definitely remember that line about Steve and 'his posse'.

Captain Z

Just got back from seeing this. While commenting on the length of the tour he said he was going go film it at the end of the run in April.

Curious to know from anyone who's seen it before whether the mic stand breaking was unique to our night or a regular prop he's using? Also the Behind The Wizards Sleeve song... which lead into a bit about the Chortle award nominations announced today, apparently, which included some digs at forum favourite Ricky Gervais?

CaledonianGonzo

Dr Funke

Podcast interview with Stew: https://audioboom.com/posts/6659202-stewart-lee-content-provider

Not listened to it yet but enjoy the podcast generally.

shh

Quote from: Dr Funke on February 10, 2018, 12:14:05 PM
Podcast interview with Stew: https://audioboom.com/posts/6659202-stewart-lee-content-provider

There's one quote mentioned in passing that should make it on to the tour poster:

'Too parochial' Netflix

magval

Quote from: Captain Z on February 09, 2018, 11:30:31 PM
Just got back from seeing this. While commenting on the length of the tour he said he was going go film it at the end of the run in April.

Curious to know from anyone who's seen it before whether the mic stand breaking was unique to our night or a regular prop he's using? Also the Behind The Wizards Sleeve song... which lead into a bit about the Chortle award nominations announced today, apparently, which included some digs at forum favourite Ricky Gervais?

This rings a bell, could you describe it in more detail?

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Dr Funke on February 10, 2018, 12:14:05 PM

Not listened to it yet but enjoy the podcast generally.

He doesn't particularly say anything he hasn't aid before but he always makes for an engaging guest. I'm growing a bit tired of his 90s nostalgia however. His Gen X "everything was better in the 90s" thing is only a kick up the arse from the boomers' "everything was better in the 50s" thing - and look where that led us.

Talking of the past, looking through those old articles I was shocked to discover that the Billy Connolly/Ken Bigley furore was 14 years ago. 

DrGreggles

Love Stew, but I don't think I can tolerate anyone talking about jazz for an extended period of time.

Famous Mortimer

Resonance FM has a complete set of all his releases, signed and all, on eBay as a fundraiser at the moment.

Crabwalk

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 12, 2018, 10:55:20 AM
Love Stew, but I don't think I can tolerate anyone talking about jazz for an extended period of time.

Very little on jazz, a bit on folk, bit on The Fall, lots on Jerry Springer: The Opera and the majority on his usual topics of career progression/the character Stewart Lee/Pueblo Clowns/creative process.

A good listen, though.

hermitical

Anyone been to a recent show?
Been informally told to expect 2x1hr 10m plus a 20 minute interval?