Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:22:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee - Content Provider

Started by Dirty Boy, March 16, 2017, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Just watching back through Series 3 and 4 of Comedy Vehicle. The routine about imagining a black wife and a gay wife was the one that stayed with me most, as he's really testing out the limits of the liberal Guardianista audience there, which he also says has been priced out of London anyway (and the oligarch-friendly parody gets more laughs, or so he says).

Series 4 somtimes stretches too far beyond what can work on telly, in terms of repetition and having his character insult the audience, although I imagine it was awesome in the live trials.

Does Lee ever travel to the USA, as sadly that is my only hope of seeing him?

Ferris

No, never outside the UK since the '90s. I can only see him if he makes it to Canada, or if I'm back in the UK at the right place at the right time which is sad

Sebastian Cobb

Seeing this tonight in Aberdeen. Bit concerned as he said Carpet Remnant World 'didn't work' there and it was amongst his flops. I was at that one and thought it was fine.

Stew's latest email confirms that these are being filmed:

QuoteThursday 12th - Content Provider, Palace Theatre, Southend - 01702 351135 - 7.30pm - TICKETS
Friday 13th - Content Provider, Palace Theatre, Southend - 01702 351135 - 7.30pm - TICKETS
THESE ARE FILMING DATES FOR A DVD/DL/BBC B'CAST

Interesting that a BBC broadcast might be on the cards.

JCR

For fans of obscure references, Orienteering with Napalm Death is now the name of a finishing move in Japanese wrestling-

https://youtu.be/WAKgVzfpY4E?t=3m31s

trueusername

Quote from: JCR on March 22, 2018, 11:54:16 PM
For fans of obscure references, Orienteering with Napalm Death is now the name of a finishing move in Japanese wrestling-

https://youtu.be/WAKgVzfpY4E?t=3m31s

I'm marking out. Zack Sabre Jr is one of the most exciting things happening in wrestling right now, and a Stewart Lee reference as a finisher? This is amazing!

Also another hero of mine, Stephen Merchant, is getting involved with a wrestling movie. It's all coming together.

Danger Man

Quote from: gravy_soup_suet on March 22, 2018, 11:18:19 AM
Stew's latest email confirms that these are being filmed:

Interesting that a BBC broadcast might be on the cards.

For all his love of 'alternative' he's been on the BBC almost as much as the test card.

Twit 2

Seeing him in Norwich tonight. Haven't seen any live comedy for over a decade!

Sebastian Cobb

His latest email says at the end of it he intends to take his longest break from stand up after this since the early 00's.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Danger Man on March 23, 2018, 12:14:54 AM
For all his love of 'alternative' he's been on the BBC almost as much as the test card.

The real bad boys go to ITV.

Twit 2

Norwich show was amazing. I laughed like a drain plenty of times but I was thoroughly knackered from a gruelling week so was a little detached from it all at points. I have to say, it's a totally different experience seeing him live to on TV, as you realise all the audience shtick is kinda true, as someone said above. He was on particularly bracing and abrasive form, a lot of gasps and genuinely shocked people at times, and I think he pushed the 'what's real vs what's an act' stuff as far as it can go. I wasn't sure what to make of it myself at times so Christ knows what people who know nothing of him made of it. His digs at Norwich being a backwater were pretty awesome. Such a weird audience mix, though, including a lot of old people in their late 70s.

The whole thing is still sifting through my mind now, there was just so much going on. Was anyone from here there last night?

Ja'moke

I saw him in Hull last week, the show was delayed by 75 minutes (!) because the lights weren't working in Hull City Hall. I was worried he was going to end up cancelling, but good on him, he still did the entire show. It didn't end up finishing til gone 11 pm, but the delay and confusion gave the show an extra manic energy which made it even funnier. Excellent show.

sevendaughters

I'd always considered myself a big Stewart Lee fan (seen him 4 times before: XS Malarkey, Lowry, Leicester Square, and Edinburgh) and I saw Content Provider in Oxford at some point last year. The more I think about the reasonably negative experience (and not the jokes, because I can't remember any) I am increasingly convinced that it wasn't because I was knackered and going through an awkward spat with my girlfriend but because I had moved on, so to speak. I can't say that 'he isn't funny' because I've bought DVDs and been on mailing lists and commented earnestly under youtube videos rebutting tools.

But I was slow to laugh, an audience member going through the motions. He was on form and he had them rolling in the aisles but I felt increasingly detached and it began a process of unpicking what I thought about him and his place in the critical pantheon and in my heart, etc. I didn't want my prejudices played to or confirmed anymore - I wanted to be shocked or surprised, something which is too much to expect from a comic you've been following for 20+ years. I've probably overthought it massively to be honest. Anyway, I saw Josie Long the next night and I laughed more at that and came away feeling much better in myself.

That said I did think the big ending was very clever.

Wet Blanket

I agree. I enjoyed it but found myself waiting for the material between the usual touchstones: repetitive bit, dividing the audience, having a meltdown. He's an interesting bloke and I increasingly find myself wishing he'd further explore a subject rather than derail it with postmodern gimmicks. His interviews are great; I think i enjoyed his 2hr+ Comedian's Comedian interview about the show more than the show itself.

Twit 2

The ending gag about how a modern person would be narcistically posed in front of the backdrop whilst doing exactly that himself didn't get a laugh, interstingly.

Does he go into the audience every time for a phone? He stopped the show at one point to stand at the end of the aisle behind me, back of the stalls, to demand someone hand in the phone that he claims he saw the light of. After a long stand off he conceded that it could have been the lights from the mixing desk. Also he was rude to the ushers, but I assume he has a word with them after or before to let them in on a joke? Either that, or he's a being a genuine bastard in those bits.

I have to say, it was a very grim and puerile show. He's funny enough to make that work, but I do like a bit of the whimsy that was more prevalent in CRW to even things out.

He really is overweight right now, he's gonna heart attack himself into the death lists if he carries on.

(I saw Stewart Lee and he was fat and he was depressed)

colacentral

Funny, I had all the above thoughts about being "over" Stewart Lee's schtick from CRW on, but I had my faith completely renewed by this show. I'd have to see it again to be sure, but I remember thinking it was probably my favourite of his.

c

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 27, 2018, 06:11:11 PM
The ending gag about how a modern person would be narcistically posed in front of the backdrop whilst doing exactly that himself didn't get a laugh, interstingly.

Does he go into the audience every time for a phone? He stopped the show at one point to stand at the end of the aisle behind me, back of the stalls, to demand someone hand in the phone that he claims he saw the light of. After a long stand off he conceded that it could have been the lights from the mixing desk. Also he was rude to the ushers, but I assume he has a word with them after or before to let them in on a joke? Either that, or he's a being a genuine bastard in those bits.

I have to say, it was a very grim and puerile show. He's funny enough to make that work, but I do like a bit of the whimsy that was more prevalent in CRW to even things out.

He really is overweight right now, he's gonna heart attack himself into the death lists if he carries on.

(I saw Stewart Lee and he was fat and he was depressed)

Yes but is he really fat or is it 'Stewart Lee The Character' who is fat?

Genevieve

Many happy returns of the day, Mr Lee!

Quote from: Genevieve on April 05, 2018, 01:10:56 AM
Many happy returns of the day, Mr Lee!

Big five-oh!  He really is a middle-aged grump, now.

ollyboro

He's on Radio 3 in the next half hour, talking about William Blake.

Genevieve

That was good, he will be on every weekday morning this week at 10:50am, talking about caves tomorrow.  Did you notice Ian Skelly say Comedy Vehicle was on Channel 4?  Oof!

colacentral

Not sure I want interview segments breaking the show up, unless it's just where the intermission would normally be.

DrGreggles

olliebean

If it's like every other stand-up show on telly, it'll have bits cut out of it anyway; probably the interview segments will be placed so as to hide the gaps.

New Jack

As long as his trousers still 'fall' down and he boots DVDs across the stage.

Glad this is reaching a digital form

RedRevolver

APPARENTLY, according to somefing I read in Chordle earliuh,   ***  STEW IS PLANNING BIG with SEASON FIVE of CANCELLED Comedy VEHICLE.

*** presently malfunctioning o' wise Bazza.

magval

Chortle have done that stupid internet thing of condensing something else, an interview published by Post Nearly Press which has now sold out.

If you'd like to buy a copy they'll need to see sufficient interest so please bombard them with emails at the following address.

https://postnearlypress.com/stewart-lee-reprint/

Sgt. Duckie

So there is talk of a fifth series?