Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:32:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee - Content Provider

Started by Dirty Boy, March 16, 2017, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

No, he just talks about what it might have been like had it been commissioned.

Sgt. Duckie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 15, 2018, 03:49:25 PM
No, he just talks about what it might have been like had it been commissioned.

Cheers SMBH

kitsofan34

This broadcasts on Sunday, the 8th of JULY in the Year of Our Lord, 2018, at 11p.m.

Hugs and kisses,
kitso.

olliebean

Quote from: magval on June 15, 2018, 08:27:57 AM
Chortle have done that stupid internet thing of condensing something else, an interview published by Post Nearly Press which has now sold out.

If you'd like to buy a copy they'll need to see sufficient interest so please bombard them with emails at the following address.

https://postnearlypress.com/stewart-lee-reprint/

£8.75 for a 26-page booklet? Not that interested. I can buy one of his proper full-length books for less than that, and I won't have to beg for the privilege.

Pseudopath

Quote from: kitsofan34 on June 15, 2018, 07:10:43 PM
This broadcasts on Sunday, the 8th of June in the Year of Our Lord, 2018, at 11p.m.

Hugs and kisses,
kitso.

Ah...bollocks. Missed it.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: magval on June 15, 2018, 08:27:57 AM
Chortle have done that stupid internet thing of condensing something else, an interview published by Post Nearly Press which has now sold out.

If you'd like to buy a copy they'll need to see sufficient interest so please bombard them with emails at the following address.

https://postnearlypress.com/stewart-lee-reprint/

Might get this for the Sean Hughes head-messing stuff. I always though he was intensely passive-aggressive to his podcast guests, and wondered why no one mentioned it.

Paaaaul

Stew's taking the Ted Chippington homage even further by filling Ted's usual support slot on The Nightingales' next your in October. He's only doing his '80s material.

olliebean

Quote from: kitsofan34 on June 15, 2018, 07:10:43 PM
This broadcasts on Sunday, the 8th of JULY in the Year of Our Lord, 2018, at 11p.m.

Hugs and kisses,
kitso.

It's been put back to Saturday, 28th July, still at 11pm.

New Jack

Quote from: olliebean on July 03, 2018, 01:22:36 PM
It's been put back to Saturday, 28th July, still at 11pm.

Aye. Just got his email.

A 2 hr film of the Content Provider Tour is on BBC on Saturday 28th July at 11pm, not earlier in the month on July 8th as previously announced.

Already the joke about the status of European migrants is dated.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The BBC press previews site seems to think it's going out on 4th August. Confusion reigns.

New Jack

Huh. I'll trust Stewart over those BBC lot!!

mojo filters

Stew confirmed it's now the 4th, with another joke about outdated jokes. Plus for those who don't have SLCV already, full 4 series box set appearing on iPlayer soon!

Dr Rock

olliebean

I've set a timer to record this so they'd better not change it again.

New Jack

Quote from: mojo filters on July 12, 2018, 08:17:36 AM
Stew confirmed it's now the 4th, with another joke about outdated jokes. Plus for those who don't have SLCV already, full 4 series box set appearing on iPlayer soon!

Just looked.... All of Comedy Vehicle is on iplayer now!

mojo filters

Quote from: New Jack on July 18, 2018, 07:38:00 PM

Although I've got the DVDs, it's a right hassle watching that way versus simple streaming these days. Hence I started binging Comedy Vehicle on iPlayer, beginning with series 1.

It must be some time since I last watched all those episodes. Whilst I remembered all the best lines, I'd either forgotten or just never noticed quite how intrusive and relatively less funny most of the sketches are. At times their insertion unnecessarily throws off the rhythm Stew's so carefully building.

Whilst it's great to see familiar faces like Kevin Eldon and Paul Putner, I completely understand why he changed the format for subsequent series. I was quite happy in S4 to completely forgo the sketch at the end, as Morris' hostile interrogation was perfectly sufficient and probably funnier!

I vaguely remember an interview where Stew references the deliberate change, after S1. I also recall him talking about budget changes from BBC policy arising from the Ross and Brand controversy, though don't know if he linked that to reducing the sketches - or if it was purely an artistic decision? If it was deliberate cost cutting, it appears rather serendipitous. But knowing Stew, I would quite understand him so effectively refining the format - to better suit his stand up style, within the constraints of a half hour TV show.

Do other fans find those sketches during the first series as unnecessary and sometimes rather annoying, or do you think they suit the format well? I wasn't the biggest TMWRNJ fan, but I did love some of pre-recorded material, especially Angus Deayton's Authorised History Of Alternative Comedy.

There was one particular bit I'd never noticed before in S1, which was really jarring this time around. Stew acts out a bit involving a small child talking to either a parent or grandparent, which was eerily similar in both voice and manner to Ricky Gervais in (In)Humanity, possibly his earlier shows too. Previously all the Gervais plagiarism / similarities I'd noticed were from much earlier work - such as the brilliant dog and kittens postcard bit, a side of London you don't see so often...

It does seem strange that neither Armando nor Chris are doing the CV style questions for the BBC Content Provider broadcast. Unless they've found someone similarly good, I can't see any old hack making that shtick work as well as seasoned viewers will expect. It would have been a neat idea for a twist to a conventional long-form stand up TV edit, with either of those familiar voices involved.

However it's a small price, if that's what it takes to get such a great show finally on the telly...broadcast scheduling and dated humour about current affairs not withstanding!

Wet Blanket

I do believe it's Alan Moore doing the interview bits this time around

mojo filters

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 19, 2018, 02:08:02 PM

Thanks for sharing that! At least we already have some idea of how the two interact. I don't really know much about Alan Moore's own work, but he seems like an interesting and unusual person from what I've seen.

Do you know if he will be asking questions in the manner of a hostile interrogator, or will it be more of a normal informal interview style?

Wet Blanket

I've no idea. I imagine he'll bring his more avuncular style to the interviews, Lee obviously briefs his interviewers to give him the needle, but they bring their own personality to it; probably it'll be more similar to the Johnny Vegas one on 90s Comedian (or was it 41st Best Standup?) than the Morris ones.

New Jack

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 19, 2018, 02:08:02 PM

No idea of his comic chops (no pun intended), but that's something to look forward to, and I agree with the above that so far each interviewer seems to lend their own style albeit always couched in making Stew the character look foolish, by design..

I'm likewise going to binge through Comedy Vehicle. My overriding memory of the first series is crap sketches, apart from like, the Apple Shop one, none have endured.

Perhaps he was making a sop to the TV format with those.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mojo filters on July 19, 2018, 01:55:23 PM
I vaguely remember an interview where Stew references the deliberate change, after S1. I also recall him talking about budget changes from BBC policy arising from the Ross and Brand controversy, though don't know if he linked that to reducing the sketches - or if it was purely an artistic decision? If it was deliberate cost cutting, it appears rather serendipitous. But knowing Stew, I would quite understand him so effectively refining the format - to better suit his stand up style, within the constraints of a half hour TV show.

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that it was due to the budget cuts that he couldn't do the sketches any more, and if they'd had the same budget for series one he would have kept on doing them. It's not a great source, but this page seems to back that up: https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/152881394?q&versionId=166615062

Brundle-Fly

Edit reason : Boring post

islandboy

Quote from: New Jack on July 18, 2018, 07:38:00 PM

i notice sadowitz has been edited out of the religion episode

Hecate

Feels a bit "too little, too late" as far as Savile is concerned, but what the hell, if it helps them sleep at night.

Wet Blanket

Sadowitz himself probably made them take it out, he polices every other appearance he makes on the internet, after all.

Sebastian Cobb

Totally haven't just fired up get_iplayer

Quote from: New Jack on July 19, 2018, 02:50:35 PM
My overriding memory of the first series is crap sketches, apart from like, the Apple Shop one, none have endured.

Putner was great in that.  Love the end, where he has a breakdown and starts tearing his clothes.

mojo filters

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 20, 2018, 08:48:57 PM
Putner was great in that.  Love the end, where he has a breakdown and starts tearing his clothes,

I thought the whole Apple Shop sketch was exceptionally well done. If all of the sketches had been conceived, written and executed to that high standard - I doubt I'd find anything to criticise about their inclusion!

The Apple Shop was brilliantly effective in that respective episode, working on more than one level:

i) a sketch tied directly to the stand up subject material surrounding it, making the insertion smooth, coherent and perfectly in context.

ii) there was a noticeable overall style and theme, whereby everything from the written elements to the random free jazz trombone lady - combined to create a retro absurd aesthetic, paying homage to various influential and familiar older TV comedy sketches, in particular referencing Monty Python and Dave Allen, whilst also reminiscent of Armando Iannucci's own more modern material.