Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:56:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee - Content Provider

Started by Dirty Boy, March 16, 2017, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Jack

"Between now and the age of 65, I propose five tours, one every three years, with fewer dates but in larger rooms. That's 10 hours of material, and for me that is only 20 jokes.  The end is in sight and Content Provider represents the beginning of the end"

Hints at non retirement a week back in the I (er)

Steptoes_Son

I think it's safe to say he's certainly winding down the stand uo side of things.

Whatever happened to that Comic Strip-style film about Brexit he was looking to make?

Artemis

He could be fresher were it not for the commitment (limitation?) he has to Stewart Lee the Character. He's still funny but it's been diminishing returns since about SLCV2.

Looking forward to hearing this post quoted in a future performance as the bit in CRW gets another airing.

Goldentony

The delivery of GET IN THE BATH GET IN THE FUCKING BATH might be the funniest thing he's ever done, fucking ruined me.

Tikwid

Quote from: Goldentony on August 03, 2018, 05:25:31 PM
The delivery of GET IN THE BATH GET IN THE FUCKING BATH might be the funniest thing he's ever done, fucking ruined me.
For me that honor might go towards the entire two minute sequence of his millennial-glued-to-phone impression. Even without the trousers falling down, the combination of his vaguely jesteric hops around the stage and that fucking face sold me.

BritishHobo

Loved this just as much as when I saw it at Mach Fest last year, but, as then, I gotta echo people on the 'the people up there get it/everyone down here's brought a friend' bits. How is it any different from a broader, more mainstream comedian always doing the same material? It doesn't matter how meta it is, it's still literally repeating a joke in every stand-up show.

BritishHobo

It's great though because it's the first time I've ever been able to compare Lee shows. I'm sure the Music Magpie used-DVD bit went on much longer when I saw it.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Goldentony on August 03, 2018, 05:25:31 PM

Yes! I feel the audience didn't give it enough, at least some of the people up there didn't seem to appreciate it etc. etc.

DrGreggles

I wonder if he ditched the Herring gag because Rich just isn't famous enough?

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 05, 2018, 09:38:55 PM
Loved this just as much as when I saw it at Mach Fest last year, but, as then, I gotta echo people on the 'the people up there get it/everyone down here's brought a friend' bits. How is it any different from a broader, more mainstream comedian always doing the same material? It doesn't matter how meta it is, it's still literally repeating a joke in every stand-up show.

i suppose that maybe it seems somewhat necessary for his whole "i'm a weird outsider that you don't get" schtick to work, even if 95% of the audience are in on it. with the pretense of the crowd not knowing or understanding him comes the ability to deconstruct jokes for their sake, which is also nothing new for him but at least the jokes he deconstructs are. he could still do that anyway, but it probably does work better if it's established (however falsely) beforehand that there are people in the room who don't understand what he's doing

or maybe he's just a fat old past it useless cunt

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on July 30, 2018, 12:05:38 AM
I don't think that's how the relationship between bitrate and frames-per-second works for video encoding. They picked a bitrate based on targeting 5 Mbps broadband.

(Repeating the previous frame in H264 is something like 15 bytes?)

Yes, virtually any normal video codec will only describe the changes between key frames and frame doubling will result in no changes.

It would be more radical for him to just do jokes for an hour, to show he can do it whilst also subverting it in some way.

New Jack

I liked the crowd dividing stuff just because it led to him insulting not only the friends of his audience but the kind of people who like him. That was great.

Think that's surely the apex of the joke now though, and doesn't need done again. Although, it does seem to work on the audience; us at home don't get the same effect.

chrispmartha

Quote from: New Jack on August 06, 2018, 02:35:18 PM
I liked the crowd dividing stuff just because it led to him insulting not only the friends of his audience but the kind of people who like him. That was great.

Think that's surely the apex of the joke now though, and doesn't need done again. Although, it does seem to work on the audience; us at home don't get the same effect.

When I saw this (live) he didn't bother even dividing the room, he must have sense something different in the audience that night and basically just had a go en masse that we were shit and not worthy of being there, I thought it worked really well as everyone was expecting the divide thing.

Captain Z

There was a great additional bit at the one I saw after he did the empty seats/ticket touts bit involving an exchange with an audience member:

(inaudible)
'stop gesturing at them [empty seats] madam, I've done a bit about them'
(inaudible)
'don't keep gesturing at them, I've dealt with that. I'm not going to go back over old ground. If there's one thing I hate in comedy it's repeating ideas...'
(laughter)
'yeah that's an in-joke for all the fans isn't it, that's exactly what he does do ahaha'

ASFTSN

Finally paid my TV license like a good boy and watched this. I hope the next "serious interviewer" interview questions him extensively on his descent into prop comedy, what with the DVDs, the trousers falling down, and the selfie-stick Friedrich mic stand bit.

In all serious though, I absolutely loved it. Only bit that dragged for me was possibly the rural gimp mask antics of his grandparents, I felt like it lacked much of a pulse for some reason. Absolutely creased up at his Russell Howard bit about using a sock instead of toilet roll.

We've all done it, we've all done it. You run out of toilet paper and use a sock instead.

*pause*

His own clothing...

Plus the Game of Throne speech part (I assume - never seen GoT) about copying it down off of a mug in HMV. Fantastic. He really hates fantasy culture of all stripes doesn't he! Proud to assume the invective of "warhammer twat" after watching this.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

He actually loves fantasy culture; He's a member of the Arthur Machen society, which exists to fund republishing  the Welsh fantasist, and he's done documentaries on his passion for that [https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0542jwq] and Children of The Stones. And of course being mates with Alan Moore presumably feels like you hang with wizards.

He just hates Warhammer Twats.

Ferris

He makes reference to a Warhammer piece that his son has in Carpet Remnant World I think, so there must be Warhammer twats in his own home. Poor old Stew, can't catch a break.

(I got the impression that he is very fond of high fantasy, but the character of Stewart Lee considers GoT to be low brow consumerist shit for the masses, and therefore to be scorned with any and all similar cultural entities without consideration of their cultural value.)

the science eel

mrpupkin

The joke's on him presumably, the fact that he won't even watch this thing he rails against so intensely, so as to find out whether his view of it holds any weight. Doubling down on his contempt in a kind of pathetic defensive teenage way rather than allowing for the possibility of having to change his mind. Such disdain for something he knows literally nothing about. I laughed.

ASFTSN

He's probably just like me, and disdains the mass Tolkien-isation of popular culture over recent years, knowing all along that The Worm Ouroborous by ER Edidson contains fair more wonder and power than anything Tolkien ever wrote. I'm still a warhammer twat though.

ASFTSN

Quote from: mrpupkin on August 10, 2018, 11:37:39 AM
The joke's on him presumably, the fact that he won't even watch this thing he rails against so intensely, so as to find out whether his view of it holds any weight. Doubling down on his contempt in a kind of pathetic defensive teenage way rather than allowing for the possibility of having to change his mind. Such disdain for something he knows literally nothing about. I laughed.

I loved the line about how he got everything he needed to know about GoT "off of a cup".

Ferris

Quote from: the science eel on August 10, 2018, 11:29:47 AM
oh honestly

I know, I know. I've bought in to the whole shtick.

That said, I'm sure in real life Stew doesn't give a shit about Game of Thrones so I thought it was apposite to say "the character of" to make that distinction.

the science eel

Is it Lee who (in character) describes GoT as tits and dragons?

Ferris

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 12, 2018, 01:12:08 AM

Dobby on peep show calls it "dragon-tits"

Well he called Tyrion Lannister by name, so he obviously knows more about the show than what he read off that imaginary cup.

Phil_A

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 12, 2018, 01:12:08 AM

It was in fact the great Ian McShane that coined the term "It's only tits and dragons!", which suggest an obvious spoof I'm amazed no-one's made yet.

JOFFREY, YOU PLONKER

mojo filters

I liked the GoT bits, and come from a similarly ignorant position as the character Stewart Lee - except I've not even seen a cup in HMV. I don't know if I'd even heard Tyrian Lannister's name before, or if my brain just easily made the connection?

I felt old and out of touch not really relating to the Young Comics / "Mate" material however. Admittedly I've not travelled down south much in recent years, though not for the same reasons as Gary Lineker.

I was hoping for more foodstuffs to be placed on Rod Liddle by Stew, as I grew up listening to Today then reading his Sunday Times column. I guess I'm not as big of a demographic as I expected, though at least I got some relevant content in S4 of Comedy Vehicle!

New Jack

The friend I went to see this with (she's seen him a few times with me so not quite the confused tagalong he was aiming at) spent our pre-show drinks hectoring me about watching Game of Thrones, so it was nice of Stew to develop a piece of comedy directly for my life

Ditto the trousers falling down in front of everyone, really personal for me, that, nice one Stew!