Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee - Content Provider

Started by Dirty Boy, March 16, 2017, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steptoes_Son

Quote from: NoSleep on August 26, 2018, 06:33:45 PM
I thought that him grinding on with the stuff that some people here are saying he's been doing for too long was part of the comedy of this particular set. There was some of that going on in the last season of Comedy Vehicle, too.

Series 4 of CV I'd agree with you on, but the first act of this seemed business as usual. Althought it did set up some call backs in the second half (it wasn't just ... who voted for ..., it was cunts too). Other than that, it just seemed to be an exercise in establishing character status again - lowering his own status through self grandeur and pomposity (I'd rather seem him exploring the character of Stewart Lee, like in the last episodes of CV 3 and 4, which were excellent, the end of series in particular was rich in character detail).

I still think the mixed ability audience schtick has reached the end of its effectiveness. Surely it would be better to find new ways of dividing the audience, keep it fresh for us and him?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twed on August 26, 2018, 05:34:47 PM

The first half of this had at least three re-used bits from major releases. Gah.

BP review: "5 stars, a performance to rival that other top entertainer, Peter Kay"

Kelvin

Quote from: NoSleep on August 26, 2018, 06:33:45 PM
I thought that him grinding on with the stuff that some people here are saying he's been doing for too long was part of the comedy of this particular set. There was some of that going on in the last season of Comedy Vehicle, too.

Yeah, I agree. That's why I think it kind of works as a culmination or send off to that kind of material and a stepping stone to something new.

I still think he's abused the stuff where he's intentionally frustrating or tedious to the point that it feels incredibly predictable, and dampens the payoff, though. It was the overuse of that in the first hour that made me give up. I just wasn't laughing often or enough to justify how long I was sat there thinking, 'all right, we get the point, get on with it.'

a duncandisorderly

we're into the 14th/15th page of posts about this now, & I've been away for a couple of weeks so I haven't been keeping up.... has there been any discussion of his facial tics & small vocal noises, & whether the comedic value of these is evident to the room as distinct from the tv viewers?

for me, these nuances make his repetition of aspects of his shows much more palatable; he knows he's done nowt new for about a decade, & the knowing of this as he goes through the schtick is indicated by the expressions that surely must be too small to reach the back of the room.

none of the repetition bothers me- the content itself or the delivery. for me, he's so far ahead of (say) the MTW crowd, it's like miles davis vs kenny g.

magval

Agreed. When I saw this live, I was at the very top and very back of the Waterfront in Belfast, which is simply too far away for comedy (imagine being in an arena, like), and I didn't catch any of those delicious wee details you mention.

Works far better when seen up close or, in this case, as recorded. Brilliant show.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Kelvin on August 26, 2018, 08:32:10 PM

I still think he's abused the stuff where he's intentionally frustrating or tedious to the point that it feels incredibly predictable, and dampens the payoff, though.

This is it, the predictability of it kills the comedy. But, it is the longest he's ever done that trope on stage (30mins like). So I think his equation is that doing it for that long makes it something new in itself and it doesn't need any frills. But it soured the whole thing for me. Those 45 minutes of Content Provider are easily the laziest material he's ever produced.

I did think I may have gone off the guy, so re-listened to Carpet Remnant World - nope, that's a damn fine show, so rich in ideas, not a dead spot in it.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: rasta-spouse on August 31, 2018, 03:59:45 PM
I think his equation is that doing it for that long makes it something new in itself and it doesn't need any frills. But it soured the whole thing for me. Those 45 minutes of Content Provider are easily the laziest material he's ever produced.

do you think he's taking this "I'm jazz, I am" thing too far in the sense of pissing about with the things that everyone knows he's going to do? like derek bailey going off on a half hour extemporisation where there used to be a sort of middle eight?

This is now in full on YouTube, where I've literally just now finished watching it.  After a protracted Lee-hiatus, it's renewed and reminded me of my reasons for my total love of his stuff.  Brilliant!

Slow pacing is less of a problem when you know you are there for a two hour stretch rather than a 30 minute TV burst.

He also does conventional jokes - the Brexit cunts punchline.

Glebe

Anyone see this on BBC2 the other night? I missed some of the start, but it was very funny. Also nice to have Alan Moore doing the little interview snippets.

Glebe

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on November 10, 2018, 09:07:26 PMThis is now in full on YouTube, where I've literally just now finished watching it.  After a protracted Lee-hiatus, it's renewed and reminded me of my reasons for my total love of his stuff.  Brilliant!

Oh right, duh. Late to the party as usual.

Quote from: Glebe on December 31, 2018, 06:14:32 PM
Oh right, duh. Late to the party as usual.

Right, I'll show you!  I'm celebrating New Year 2020 tonight, just for that!

Glebe

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 31, 2018, 06:22:33 PM
Right, I'll show you!  I'm celebrating New Year 2020 tonight, just for that!

*sob!*

poodlefaker

Alan Bennett (https://www.lrb.co.uk/v41/n01/alan-bennett/diary-for-2018):

Quote28 July. In the evening we watch Stewart Lee doing his stand-up in Southend. He makes stand-up almost a moral pursuit, predicting an audience's reaction (or lack of reaction) to his material in a way that makes the usual (and more popular) stand-ups seem crude and obvious. He's fearless, undeterred by an audience's failure to respond, even welcoming it so that he can analyse it, tracking down the missing laugh until the audience laughs at itself. Erving Goffman would have liked Stewart Lee, though the more accessible material put out by other (and more vapid) stand-ups derives in part from Goffman's observation of small behaviour. It's austere stuff, Stewart Lee. He's the J.L. Austin of what is now rather a sloppy profession.

Replies From View

Replies From View

My favourite bit is the ridiculous characterisation of the Russell Howard fans.

Glebe

Quote from: poodlefaker on January 02, 2019, 02:44:07 PMAlan Bennett (https://www.lrb.co.uk/v41/n01/alan-bennett/diary-for-2018):

Quote29 July. There's a tempting packet of custard creams in the pantry, but I mustn't rush things! Will pop the kettle on and bide my time.

Seriously though, delightful to hear he enjoys Lee.

poodlefaker

Intit. He should use "The J.L. Austin of what is now rather a sloppy profession" on his tour posters.

kitsofan34

Big, big news, worthy of bumping this dormant thread.

he's grown a beard!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=AHfnCpH4-Oo

Mango Chimes

David Bellamy's let himself go.

Kenny Rogers has let himself go.

Robert Wyatt's let himself go.

Jeff Bridges has let himself go.

Sebastian Cobb

Looks a bit like Orson Welles when he let himself go.

Captain Z

Father Christmas has let himself go.

Enzo

Saw Captain Birdseye on the bus. He looked fat and depressed.

Twed

Do people have that kind of beard because it doesn't grow on their cheeks, or do they specifically shave it that way?

Glebe

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on January 25, 2019, 04:23:07 PM
Do people have that kind of beard because it doesn't grow on their cheeks, or do they specifically shave it that way?

Probably a bit of both. Whispy pubey bits on cheeks that need to be shaved off.

hamfist

Quote from: Mango Chimes on January 25, 2019, 01:06:25 PM
David Bellamy's let himself go.

Kenny Rogers has let himself go.

Robert Wyatt's let himself go.

Jeff Bridges has let himself go.

Ernest Hemingway has let himself go.

He's at that stage where you wear clothes just because they're big enough to fit you.