Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:52:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee - Content Provider

Started by Dirty Boy, March 16, 2017, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Glebe

Belated thanks for posting that interview btw Kits, 'tis a good watch/listen. Interesting about Bill Oddie being edited on Buzzcocks...

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Glebe on February 20, 2019, 01:42:24 PM
Belated thanks for posting that interview btw Kits, 'tis a good watch/listen. Interesting about Bill Oddie being edited on Buzzcocks...

I'm not sure he's remembering that correctly.

rasta-spouse

Is there any progress on Stew's Comic Strip type movie that he was talking about making?

clarkgwent

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 20, 2019, 01:57:10 PM
I'm not sure he's remembering that correctly.

In "Memoirs of a Geezer" Jah Wobble said  they did a similar thing to him so smoke/fire ect

thenoise

Quote from: Twed on January 25, 2019, 04:23:07 PM
Do people have that kind of beard because it doesn't grow on their cheeks, or do they specifically shave it that way?

Shaving and growing a beard is a sign of too much time on your hands. Grow it out proper, Stew, then maybe you wouldn't have to repeat your material so much.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: clarkgwent on February 20, 2019, 06:14:37 PM
In "Memoirs of a Geezer" Jah Wobble said  they did a similar thing to him so smoke/fire ect

Can we trust the word of Jah Wobble? I believe Sean Hughes told his side of that on Herring's podcast.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Twed on January 25, 2019, 04:23:07 PM
Do people have that kind of beard because it doesn't grow on their cheeks, or do they specifically shave it that way?

I think it is likely that our Stew has a very thick and full beard. I think this is him finding something to occupy a few minutes of his life as thenoise said.
Or maybe he thinks the jawline hair is slimming? (He is quite overweight now)

magval

Annotated version of this (like How I Survived My Certain Fate and If You Prefer EP) is due in just a few weeks, pleasant surprise.

Also contains a heap of articles about Brexit but I've never really got on with Stew's newspaper writing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/March-Lemmings-Brexit-Performance-2016-2019/dp/0571357024/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=Stewart+lee&qid=1565550173&s=gateway&sr=8-1

NJ Uncut

Hooray I have tickets to see SNOWFLAKE TORNADO next year!

That's it.

robotam

Saw the WIP for this on Thursday. I loved it. It's a boring option but I think he is the best stand up ever.
The Tornado half seemed much more fleshed out and was longer with more improvisations and mucking about (lots of self referential stuff including a [possibly by accident ] subversion of the "has let himself go" and a seemingly improvised variation on the "all the crisps" bit). Don't want to talk too much about the actual routine because I reckon it will mostly stay

Snowflake was still good. He did a song he says he might take out but it was very well received so he might keep it. He talks about Chappelle but attacks based on a perceived slight (by either Lee or the Lee character) so its not like twitter or whatever. The climax could be really funny if he gets the props/ set that he wants.

Lots of other great bits in either half including shitting on some other comics (Gervais included, as well as an improvised(?) Mcyntire bit and another stand up or two.) also a nice weird tribute to another great storyteller.

Sorry if this is too much info (or too vague and confusing). I know being drunk isn't cool or impressive but it does fuck up my typing and there's no way to change that so there!

shh

Saw him after the brass eye doc last night. There seemed to be less of dividing the room type stuff, maybe that was just the shorter set time.

Quote from: robotam on September 15, 2019, 12:39:55 AM
also a nice weird tribute to another great storyteller.

Yes it was a bit Rob Brydon wasn't it (assuming you mean who I think you mean). it worked though

DrGreggles

Quote from: shh on September 17, 2019, 11:30:28 PM
it was a bit Rob Brydon wasn't it (assuming you mean who I think you mean). it worked though

Saw that bit in the WiP and thought it was fucking hilarious.

non capisco

Glad to hear the raves for the WIPs. Got a ticket for one of the November dates and can't wait. Saw him striding thunderously about Stoke Newington recently looking like Zeus.

Ferris

Quote from: non capisco on September 17, 2019, 11:59:15 PM
Glad to hear the raves for the WIPs. Got a ticket for one of the November dates and can't wait. Saw him striding thunderously about Stoke Newington recently looking like Zeus.

Did he look fat and/or depressed?

Noodle Lizard

Forgive me, but what is WIP/WiP?

EDIT: Work-in-progress, just occurred to me.  I forgot those existed.  Out here it's just called "turning up at a comedy club".

NJ Uncut

While him dividing the room is a masterful trick it seems to be in every show he does. So hope it slips this one by time I see it. That said, it's always a riot live, I luckily get caught top up in the actual show to do very very deep thinking about the mechanics in a laughter-preventative way

Think he's a superb technical comedian, sort of going in blind but I'm in this thread now and it's months off.

Might actually try to meet him, was at de Phil in Liverpool again last time and he was signing books but me mate was heavily pregnant and had to get off. Nowt to say to him but "cheers Stew, saw you in the Neptune in 98. When you jack in the live stuff, please write a history of alternative comedy as per a lot of Certain Fate."

justin_bennett

Stew's on the latest episode of Book Shambles talking to Robin Ince for an enjoyable hour or thereabouts.

colacentral

I think his tour openers need to band together and do the "this side of the room gets it" bit before he can go on each night so he fucks it off for good. It's unbelievable that he's still doing it. Maybe he thinks he's passing it off as some elaborate meta running gag, but it reeks of fear to me.

mojo filters

I think as long as he continues to find new, original and funny ways to pursue the whole divided room/audience trope, it will remain a nice signature part of his shows.

For instance in Content Provider, it provides a neat jumping off point for some of the best jokes. Personally I wasn't as impressed as I expected by that show, though mainly because each previous successive one managed to raise the bar every time - hence topping Carpet Remnant World would have been a tall order.

Not only does dividing the room set up some great jokes, it sets up the overall tone of the show. It allows the character of Stewart Lee to maintain the pretence he is disdainful of his audience, without actually punching down at them.

It also sets up some neat ways for him to make fun of his typical hardcore fan, playing with the notion that we like to think we are really smart consumers of clever comedy.

If he used it the same way in each show, I agree that would become potentially tiresome. However so far I see it more of a thematic device, which maintains a though line in-joke for regulars whilst also serving various other purposes, such as those I've referenced.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: mojo filters on October 06, 2019, 09:19:16 AM
Not only does dividing the room set up some great jokes, it sets up the overall tone of the show. It allows the character of Stewart Lee to maintain the pretence he is disdainful of his audience, without actually punching down at them.

Maybe he'll stop it when hack live singers stop doing "which side of the room can sing louder?" Lee does have plenty of other ways of being disdainful of his audience, like when I saw him this summer it was an additional show added after the main run sold out, which allowed a lot of sniping at the audience for liking him but not enough to book the initial run. But it would be nice just once to see the audience cunningly conspiring against it, like the old substitute-teacher trick of swapping places when he's not looking.

Pranet

Arab Guy Reacts to Stewart Lee.

See, it is not just us members of the metropolitan elite who like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovd2yc7PQ1A

magval

Has anyone bought this on DVD? It has a work in progress version on a second disc, curious if it's worth paying for seeing as the main show is free in HD on Prime. Wondering if it's professionally shot.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, there was a new John Robb interview with Stewart Lee put up just before Christmas

https://youtu.be/YzU5Q3nlo5g

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 14, 2020, 08:06:59 AM
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, there was a new John Robb interview with Stewart Lee put up just before Christmas

https://youtu.be/YzU5Q3nlo5g

I think this is the same John Robb interview as a couple of years back, just uploaded to YouTube. Interesting chat tho like

Quote from: Wet Blanket on January 14, 2020, 08:18:18 AM

I think this is the same John Robb interview as a couple of years back, just uploaded to YouTube. Interesting chat tho like

I think it could be actually, just watching it and they refer to Mark E Smith as if he's still alive - thanks for confirming.