Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee - Content Provider

Started by Dirty Boy, March 16, 2017, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Just sin Stewart Lee!

Spoiler alert
He looked fat and depressed!

Nah he was great.
[close]

TrenterPercenter

Pigamus we must have been in the same room together as just got back.

Back on form, i'd say, really good.

bomb_dog

Just got back from Cheltenham. Morrissey has let etc. obvs.

Really enjoyed that. He ignored initial shouts about FKA twigs being a male rap singer from Gloucester and let it unwind on its own, and no-one else shouted about them being female.

Usual mixed ability room stuff but still funny. 'Mate' was great as was the bit about anyone under 40. Loved it.

There weere a few people near me looked very bored and looked quite disengaged from tje show, whilst others were roaring. A friend my brother brought along thought he was 'different' but really enjoyed it. Been a fan for so long it's easy to forget that although he sells venues out he's still an acquired taste.

pigamus

Yeah, that whole 'People coming to see me who don't know me and won't like me' stuff really is true, isn't it? You don't realise until you're in the audience and see it for yourself.

Dr Rock

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search?filter=programmes&q=fist+of+fun

BBC currently giving you another chance to hear Fist Of Fun, as recorded at various universities on tour. I hadn't heard these before.

Didn't know where else to put this.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

He's like The Fall - some people think it's rubbish, whereas others actively hate it.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on May 01, 2017, 10:15:48 PM
He's like The Fall - some people think it's rubbish, whereas others actively hate it.

I think Stewart Lee's rubbish but don't actively hate him.

I quite like Slang King by the Fall and am Facebook friends with Brix Smith.

Where do I fit into this scheme?

Steptoes_Son

Saw this last night at Salford Lowry, thought it was excellent. He geniunely looked like he was enjoying himself, and that carried into the audience, I think. The 'mate' bit had me roaring, and his comparing GoT to having a Terry Pratchett book in one hand and a copy of hustler in the other. Agree with others that it seemed a little patchwork, with the most thematic stuff taking place in the second row, but the quality of the performance and material more than made up for it.

Also, all proceeds of his merchandise sales last night went to the Manchester Arena fund, which I thought was a nice touch.

Obviously not such a tight git! (even if he is 'banned' from Edinburgh Fopp)

I can't remember who said they didn't think there'd be a DVD somewhere at the beginning of this thread, but I'm pretty sure they recorded one of the very first WiP ones at the Soho Theatre to use as a dvd extra so I'm pretty sure there will be one eventually.
I saw the show about a week ago in Newcastle. I didn't think it was as good as when he came here at the very start of the tour, but it was a slightly bigger room so that might be it.

Ringside

Quote from: thatguyfromthatthing on May 30, 2017, 09:59:12 AM
I can't remember who said they didn't think there'd be a DVD somewhere at the beginning of this thread, but I'm pretty sure they recorded one of the very first WiP ones at the Soho Theatre to use as a dvd extra so I'm pretty sure there will be one eventually.
I saw the show about a week ago in Newcastle. I didn't think it was as good as when he came here at the very start of the tour, but it was a slightly bigger room so that might be it.

I think at some point recently (well, AFTER Carpet Remanent World's release at least), Stew himself said he probably wouldn't be doing any more stand up DVD's.

CaledonianGonzo

A Bic For Her is on now on Netflix, so I'd be surprised if discussions haven't happened for Content Provider to have a similar fate.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Ringside on May 31, 2017, 03:56:37 AM

I think at some point recently (well, AFTER Carpet Remanent World's release at least), Stew himself said he probably wouldn't be doing any more stand up DVD's.

Isn't that just another one of his running jokes where he says he's not going to bother because everyone just downloads his stuff anyway?

Ringside

It seemed like he meant it, it was a candid chat, I THINK it was on a podcast I listened to.

I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

DrGreggles

Going straight to a streaming site isn't the same as releasing it as a DVD anyway, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't made available somehow.

JoeyBananaduck

Dump it on his website for a fiver? Seems to work for Louis CK.

Twed

I wonder if that sort of thing works for an audience essentially limited to a single country. Louis CK is far more popular, and global too.

up_the_hampipe

Netflix it, baby. Join the herd.

Beagle 2

Egg(like a bird's egg)-cellent surprise to get an email from Pliny yesterday.

Old Thrashbarg

Spoiler alert
Eamonn Holmes
[close]
being described as
Spoiler alert
Murdoch's "dustbin condom truffle pig"
[close]
was a particular highlight.

Thomas

Quote from: bomb_dog on March 29, 2017, 11:37:47 PM
There weere a few people near me looked very bored and looked quite disengaged from tje show, whilst others were roaring. A friend my brother brought along thought he was 'different' but really enjoyed it. Been a fan for so long it's easy to forget that although he sells venues out he's still an acquired taste.

Last time I saw Stew, as he did his Rod Liddle bit, my best friend, seated to my left, was bent over in silent, painful laughter, and the stranger immediately to my right was stony-faced, staunchly unimpressed, muttering impatiently under his breath. 'For God's sake.' Made it even funnier.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Thomas on June 20, 2017, 11:25:10 PM
Last time I saw Stew, as he did his Rod Liddle bit, my best friend, seated to my left, was bent over in silent, painful laughter, and the stranger immediately to my right was stony-faced, staunchly unimpressed, muttering impatiently under his breath. 'For God's sake.' Made it even funnier.

I suppose what's crucial to enjoyment of that routine is whether you know or care about Rod Liddle.

There have been several times when I've been creased up with laughter at something on CaB, and Mrs Stockbroker looks at it and just mutters "yes dear". Because she doesn't know whoever it is who's died.

New Jack

I'm seeing this in September so it's ages off, going to be interesting how this changes as the tour progresses. He's doing it til next February!

Here's Stew In Conversation with John Robb

http://player.lush.com/tv/conversation-john-robb-and-stewart-lee

New Jack

Two New Jack posts in a  row, you lucky fucks.

Anyway Stew has emailed moaning about Viagogo

QuoteVIAGOGO CUNTS

The Freemarket Cunts at Viagogo are taking the piss out of me, you and any venue that receives any public subsidy by selling tickets for my Liverpool Philharmonic Sept 15th and Belfast Waterfront 28th Sept dates at up to three times face value.

It's easy enough to work out which seats these are and I will personally come down from the stage and throw out anyone who buys any tickets from these websites.

can't wait to see him throw people out.

Ringside

I was wondering about this. I've seen him mention personally throwing people out who may have purchased tickets from a dubious source. Has anyone seen this happen at a show?

colacentral

Has anyone here seen him multiple times on this tour? I'm interested in any notable changes to the material. The election, and business with the DUP must surely be working its way in.

I think someone in this thread mentioned something about multiple shows being filmed for a potential DVD? I hope that's true. I loved the version I saw, I thought it was easily the strongest material of his career (my previous favourite was Milder Comedian), but it would be great to see how the show progresses with current events, and it would be a shame to only get one iteration. And I'd want full versions. Sounds expensive though, not sure Stew would be into that. Maybe there'll be bootlegs, but it wouldn't be the same.

mjwilson

Quote from: Ringside on June 29, 2017, 03:31:09 AM
I was wondering about this. I've seen him mention personally throwing people out who may have purchased tickets from a dubious source. Has anyone seen this happen at a show?

No, but I saw him absolutely take the piss out of a couple who had bought the front row, centre seats from some site which had snapped them up, then sold them for a 4x mark up.

They committed a greater sin by coming in late, so he'd already done a bit about how pleased he was that no-one had bought the seats, before they made their very obvious entrance.

(Also recently I saw him take someone's phone off them and stuck it down the back of his trousers for the rest of the show.)

JamesTC

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 16, 2017, 02:31:58 PM

It's a great show. I also liked the set littered with second-hand DVDs of various stand-up comedians.

Right that explains it.

A few hours ago I saw a guy who looked just like Stewart Lee in CEX in Liverpool City Centre. I was standing right next to him but I didn't hear him speak so I couldn't know for certain if it was him. I thought it couldn't be him because he was either buying or selling a copious amount of shit stand-up DVDs (mostly Ricky Gervais and Russell Brand).

He must be single handedly clearing out the CEX stores of the country of shit stand-up DVDs that are reduced to 50p.

Steven

Quote from: JamesTC on September 15, 2017, 05:51:49 PMA few hours ago I saw a guy who looked just like Stewart Lee in CEX in Liverpool City Centre. I was standing right next to him but I didn't hear him speak so I couldn't know for certain if it was him. I thought it couldn't be him because he was either buying or selling a copious amount of shit stand-up DVDs (mostly Ricky Gervais and Russell Brand).

That's amusing, I tried to get tickets for either his upcoming Chester show or tonight's Liverpool show but they were both sold out, maybe due to these scav companies block buying and re-selling seats. But your encounter certainly makes me wonder as he had a show in Liverpool last night whether he sells all the set dressing of shite second hand stand-up DVDs after each performance, or hurriedly finds a vendor so he can provide it with even more local shite second hand stand-up DVD content?

JamesTC

Quote from: Steven on September 15, 2017, 11:24:18 PM
That's amusing, I tried to get tickets for either his upcoming Chester show or tonight's Liverpool show but they were both sold out, maybe due to these scav companies block buying and re-selling seats. But your encounter certainly makes me wonder as he had a show in Liverpool last night whether he sells all the set dressing of shite second hand stand-up DVDs after each performance, or hurriedly finds a vendor so he can provide it with even more local shite second hand stand-up DVD content?

He had a show on Thursday evening here as well so I assume he is just adding to the pile with every opportunity.

colacentral

It was a few months ago when I saw it, but doesn't he stamp on a load of them at certain points? He's probably replacing the destroyed discs.