Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee - Content Provider

Started by Dirty Boy, March 16, 2017, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesuitWrangler

Seen him last night in Derry. I found that the S & M bit went on a bit too long for my taste. I actually usually like the repetitive elements in his work but it just wasn't one of the best. Also, I wish he would move on from his divide the audience/unworkable room schtick or do something different with it because it feels like the same old routine over and over again and it was funnier when he did it with apparent sadness in Carpet Remnant World.

In saying all that I'm being overly critical. He's the best standup I've seen live by a wide margin. As someone else has said, he's an absolute master on that stage. The way the start of the second half mirrors the first is just so clever and well done that I find his smarmy-ness in delivery well-earned and enjoyable more than anything else.

robotam

Saw it tonight. A lot of the divided room stuff up top. I wonder if that might actually be for the benefit of new people. It, and the annoyance at people bringing friends, quickly (not that quickly) gets across the character's personality.

Once it got going it was fucking masterful. He is the best stand up comedian.

Morrison Lard

He was excellent last night in Notts.

Got him to sign me book.

Shit Good Nose

Saw it last night.

As with his last few tours, the first half was MUCH stronger than the second.

And yeah, the divided audience stuff is just being repackaged and rewritten a bit too much now.

Is the trousers thing a part of the show, or was it a genuine accident?  He seemed to laugh in a genuine manner when it happened, but like all the other pseudo-"improv" stuff...

DrGreggles

Shit Good Nose

magval

Yeah, no trousers shenanigans in Belfast. Gig seemed to be going badly for him and he confirmed afterwards that it was exactly as frustrating as it appeared to be.

He laid blame at the feet of the Waterfront for not getting people in quick enough and for their extortionate merchandise tax.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: magval on October 09, 2017, 04:51:42 PM
Yeah, no trousers shenanigans in Belfast. Gig seemed to be going badly for him and he confirmed afterwards that it was exactly as frustrating as it appeared to be.

He laid blame at the feet of the Waterfront for not getting people in quick enough and for their extortionate merchandise tax.

He's publicly said on several occasions that he felt he didn't click with the audience in Aberdeen on Carpet Remnant world and hasn't been back since despite doing places like Dundee. I enjoyed it though. He's up for the new one in March.

kittens

going to this tonight. just saw him walking around. hope it's good

Genevieve

I saw someone say he took his trousers down at another date in order to prove he'd lost weight, I think they said it happened in Liverpool. 

Genevieve

And here's the little one who inspired it: https://twitter.com/wheresparko/with_replies  The sort of sport thug Stewart's hoping to shake off now he's off the box.

Mark Borrigan

Saw him in Lincoln last night and he was absolutely brilliant. First time I've seen him live too.

Though I made the mistake of going to see it with my Dad, who voted Leave in the EU referendum. I saw him shift uncomfortably in his seat during the first half when Stew said:
Spoiler alert
"It wasn't just racists who voted for Brexit. It was cunts as well."
[close]
I think he enjoyed it aside from the Brexit stuff.

The trousers falling down bit has now become a deliberate part of his set. He referred to the night in Bristol where it happened accidentally and said he finds the set goes down better when his trousers fall down so he's started doing it on purpose.

the science eel

I wanted to see him but it's only all these horrible places in the south - Cheltenham, Winchester, Reading, Dorking - and then 192 dates in London. What a cunt.

Crabwalk

Where are you waiting for him to play, fucking Shangri-La?

Ham Bap

Ooh, is he finally coming to Shangri-La?

DrGreggles

Shangri-La Leisure Centre is a shit venue anyway.

Vodka Margarine

I'm seeing him in one of those horrible places in the south... how long has his set been?

magval

Should be two hours including intermission.

itsfredtitmus

Did he do the "you fat bastard! you fat bastard! thing anywhere else?

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Mark Borrigan on October 18, 2017, 11:51:11 AM
It wasn't just racists who voted for Brexit. It was cunts as well
Maybe it was funnier in person but that sounds a bit... Russell Howard

Cursus

Quote from: JamesTC on September 15, 2017, 05:51:49 PM
Right that explains it.

A few hours ago I saw a guy who looked just like Stewart Lee in CEX in Liverpool City Centre. I was standing right next to him but I didn't hear him speak so I couldn't know for certain if it was him. I thought it couldn't be him because he was either buying or selling a copious amount of shit stand-up DVDs (mostly Ricky Gervais and Russell Brand).

He must be single handedly clearing out the CEX stores of the country of shit stand-up DVDs that are reduced to 50p.

Stewart mentions the Liverpool CEX part way through this conversation with Iain Sinclair (anecdote starts around 48:42).

c

Saw this last night. I was worried that, this being such a long run of dates, he might lack enthusiasm, but he was a total pro. I don't think this was as sophisticated a set as Carpet Remnant World. It's less coherent structurally and, to be honest, I'd rather he go off on his odd and often thought-provoking tangents than do Brexit and Trump material, which was fine, but not that different from the kind of thing you might expect from milder comedians.

This thread has been frustratingly spoilery, but one benefit: the S&M stuff seemed fine to me, as I expected it to be agonising like his crisps bit. I'm pretty sure it was the thread that prepared me for it, as the two people I was with spontaneously identified it as being too long and not the best bit before we'd even got to the cloakroom. 

He's a genius, though. Anyone can experiment with a form and the (art) world is, of course, full of failed experiments. Genius is doing something new and making it work, I think, and he absolutely does that.

Thursday

Saw this a LST show last night, it was good, but I guess he's never going to stop doing the divided room stuff, it just seems to be an intrinsic part of his act that he will always want to do and thinks his essential for it to work. I'm not convinced it needs to be really, but I guess he would know better than me there, still it just makes me want to see him in an environment where he can't fall back on those tricks.

If only he'd stop being successful and be forced to do something truly weird and experimental to appeal to the hardcore fans like me!

axel

Stew finishing his tour with some shows at RFH

"19th - 23rd April 2018. Content Provider has been touring to sold out theatres throughout divided Brexit Britain for nearly two years and is Stewart Lee's most successful full-length show ever.

Join him on these special evenings as he finally abandons two hours of monetisable material and performs the show for the very last time. When it's gone it's gone.
Stewart is 50 years old in 2018 and, after performing these shows, he intends to take the longest break from stand-up he's had since his four year disappearance at the start of the century."

brat-sampson

Is this going to come out on DVD or the like after the run's finished? There's no way I can see it otherwise :(

colacentral

I hope so. I remember coming out of it feeling like it was his best show, surpassing Milder Comedian as my previous favourite. It would be a great shame for all that material to be lost.

magval

His last few tours haven't been filmed or released though, right? Did the material end up in the TV shows?

brat-sampson

I thought the last few basically *were* material for the TV show, being put through its paces. This was meant to be his first return to long-form since Carpet, and that had a release.